Show of Hands: Who actually thought this team would be 6-2?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24 pm
I did. watching all the positives starting from summer camp, preseason and practice. to me they looked legit enough to fight for that last spot. monta ellis 2.0 is a thrill to watch.
Go Warriors!
One F'ing year and thats it. F*ck!
http://www.myspace.com/djheebee

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:42 pm
Yep, we had a favorable schedule (playing some rather sorry teams) and for most nights Ellis points and David Lee rebounding should put us over the top a water downed league. The Detroit loss was real disappointing, but like the Fakers, we get exposed by elite PGs (Curry is not the lock down defender or passer) so when his shots brick, wow he really, really hurts the team. Monta on a bad night still gets 20+ and shoots around 50%, and I feel he, Biedrins and BW don't get their fair share of shots. Interesting stat, Curry is 6.7 assists to 3.7 to Brandon Jennings 6.3 to 2.2 ratio. So we have three glaring holes (no true point guard, no low post presence ... with little commitment to give Beans or BW the shot attempts ... and el cheapo bench or products of trade dumps (Mags, Jackson)). This roster will never be elite, and we don't suck enough to get a franchise player so we will lose or die with Curry and his shooting. Besides the predictable Fakers massacre, our losses to Detroit (Stuckey) and Chicago (that Rose kid), Curry got abused. He did ok against Deron who was horrible with turnovers in Oakland. Essentially, if he doesn't outplay and outscore other PGs ... we will lose because his assist to turnover is awful and Biedrins and BW don't get shot attempts at the low post. Ironically, we have so to be former Warrior in BW instead of Noah the aggravator and undefeated Hornets CP3 running mate Beli. Let me finish my BW point (51% shooter but Vlad 28.2, Carney 40.9, Bell 23.5 and Reggie 44.1 get minutes and shots) ... I guess that is the residual effects of Nellie ball, and Gadz has been decent filling for Beans. For the future, we only got three real options for improvement (hope and pray our sorry bench shoots better .... hope for a good night from Curry night in and night out... or develop BW to a nice low post threat for his next team). An elite coach like Coach T, Sloane or Phillip gets mediocre players to play great in addition to wins and losses ... Smart season may rest on his ability or inability to get BW to play to his potential.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm
- Curry's stats aren't elite PG-like but if you watch him play, he can run a team and dish the rock as well as anybody.
- BW needs to catch the ball and could use a little fire, but he's been serviceable this year in limited minutes. hopefully doesn't break a nail like every other year.
- how bout that Beli in NewOrleans? starting spot for an undefeated team. glad he's getting his opportunity.

if you look at the standings right now - all the teams that are outside of the top8 ...

Nuggets, Grizzlies, Suns, Kings, Twolves, Rockets, Clippers

only the suns and denver made the playoffs last year but they are a weaker team this year. Nuggets have an aging Billups and disgruntled Melo, Suns lost Amare and we can beat their starting 5.

the Warriors can matchup with these teams talent-wise and they're
extremely capable of beating them out for the 8th spot.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 pm
Last night exposed our bench in my opinion. We have a excellent starting 5, but they are young and will be turn over prone untill they get more experience, and start to get familiar with how to play with eachother well. It takes about one season for a team to start knowing the little details about eachother. It doesn't help when you have a team that is young and learning to cut it in the NBA. Curry is not an eliete point guard (yet), but he is a great point guard. His ability to run the pick and roll, and his ability to keep the defense honest because he can finish at the rim and he can shoot the ball, will make him an eliete point guard in the future.

Eliete point guards don't become eliete in one year, it takes time. Everyone questioned Rondo when he came in, and he had help from 3 all stars. It took him 2 years, if not more to get to where he is out now. IN his second year in the league, there were times when Derick Rose was almost none existent, he was injured, turned the ball over, and at times didn't have an impact on games. It takes some time to become eliete. It will probably take another year for Curry, as he is undersized and not as quick or athletic as other PGs. But he has the two most important skills for a PG, high basketball IQ, and he can shoot. Plus, he is getting stronger, he looks and is a lot stronger then he was last year. I am looking for year 3 to be the year he really shines. He will be more comfortable with his team, with the system, and also more used to how other teams are going to play.

This year is really just a warm up for next year. We have a set starting 5, and really just need to establish a bench. We need a difference maker off the bench. Hopefully the CBA passes before there is a lock out, because i think we are growing into a good team and can become an eliete team... but it will take a couple of years. Need to extend Monta's and Bean's contracts if they can continue to play like this and also grow and get better. Making the playoffs would be nice this year so they can have that under their belt, also to give them a taste of playing on a big stage where every possesion counts, and hopefully become hungry to improve and do better next year.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 pm
with lee out two weeks

Sat, Nov 13
@
Milwaukee
Loss
Mon, Nov 15
vs
Detroit
Win

Fri, Nov 19
vs
NY Knicks
Win
Sun, Nov 21
@
Los Angeles
loss
Mon, Nov 22
vs
Denver
loss
Wed, Nov 24
@
Houston
loss
Fri, Nov 26
@
Memphis
loss

Sat, Nov 27
@
Minnesota
maybe win
Tue, Nov 30
vs
San Antonio
loss

lee back and, wtf a schedule

Thu, Dec 2
vs
Phoenix
win
Sun, Dec 5
@
Oklahoma City
loss
Tue, Dec 7
@
Dallas
loss
Wed, Dec 8
@
San Antonio
loss
Fri, Dec 10
vs
Miami
10:30 PM
loss
Mon, Dec 13
@
Utah
loss

from 6-3 by then we might be 10-14, not too nice drop and joy killing
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:30 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Last night exposed our bench in my opinion. We have a excellent starting 5, but they are young and will be turn over prone untill they get more experience, and start to get familiar with how to play with eachother well. It takes about one season for a team to start knowing the little details about eachother. It doesn't help when you have a team that is young and learning to cut it in the NBA. Curry is not an eliete point guard (yet), but he is a great point guard. His ability to run the pick and roll, and his ability to keep the defense honest because he can finish at the rim and he can shoot the ball, will make him an eliete point guard in the future.

Eliete point guards don't become eliete in one year, it takes time. Everyone questioned Rondo when he came in, and he had help from 3 all stars. It took him 2 years, if not more to get to where he is out now. IN his second year in the league, there were times when Derick Rose was almost none existent, he was injured, turned the ball over, and at times didn't have an impact on games. It takes some time to become eliete. It will probably take another year for Curry, as he is undersized and not as quick or athletic as other PGs. But he has the two most important skills for a PG, high basketball IQ, and he can shoot. Plus, he is getting stronger, he looks and is a lot stronger then he was last year. I am looking for year 3 to be the year he really shines. He will be more comfortable with his team, with the system, and also more used to how other teams are going to play.

This year is really just a warm up for next year. We have a set starting 5, and really just need to establish a bench. We need a difference maker off the bench. Hopefully the CBA passes before there is a lock out, because i think we are growing into a good team and can become an eliete team... but it will take a couple of years. Need to extend Monta's and Bean's contracts if they can continue to play like this and also grow and get better. Making the playoffs would be nice this year so they can have that under their belt, also to give them a taste of playing on a big stage where every possesion counts, and hopefully become hungry to improve and do better next year.

Unfortunately, you may be right. The only positive is that, again, they will have a chance to play and show that they can contribute. I would have thrown in the towel earlier in Chicago and really worked the reserves hard, mentally and physically. B. Wright needs a sense of urgency for sure, Lin has to focus on being a worthy backup point guard and not just on making the team. And Adrien...if this guy has anything at all, time to show it. Rebounds and defense to start with.

Unfortunately the team may lose games again this year because of injury, may really not be the team we envisioned until everyone is back. At that point, this may be a very good team indeed. And, we hear, Riley is not done.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 am
8th ave wrote:we did beat a good team in utah, but i think everyone else we've beat so far is mediocre at best... we lost horribly to the lakers.

Guys, don't forget that Curry was out for the Lakers game. Neither we can't be too negative about the following games - without Lee. If we lose that is.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:41 am
Our bench is too thin, if we lose one of our big three we are toast. Need to trade our expirings for some depth at some point.

Chad, I laugh every time I see that Cuban picture in your sig. Awesome.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:53 pm
i just saw an espn insider article on how we are not good as our record suggests, sadly, i am not an insider. if anyone is, could you paste it here?
(i'm eager for warrior stuff, for soon be leaving and month of morning recap readings only for me)
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:06 pm
^^^
ESPN's Tom Haberstroh
Warriors' strong start more an illusion than sign of things to come
"Looking deeper into their opening act, there are signs that the Warriors' hot start should be attributed more to beginner's luck than actual talent. Take a good look at the teams the Warriors have beaten so far: the Detroit Pistons, Knicks, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers and the Houston Rockets. Not exactly a murderer's row. Aside from their Jazz victory, which shouldn't be entirely disregarded, Golden State's wins have come against losing teams with a combined record of 17-38. Adding to this skepticism is Golden State's negative scoring margin, as they've been outscored by their opponents on the season by an average of 1.3 points per contest. In fact, outside of the Warriors' matchup with the one-win Clippers, none of their margins of victory has been more than seven points ... In addition to the 22-year-old Stephen Curry, the Warriors have solidified their front line, with prized free agent David Lee and center Andris Biedrins signed for the long haul. But their depth up front is paper thin, making Lee's freak elbow injury even more troublesome."
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:18 pm
8th ave wrote:^^^
ESPN's Tom Haberstroh
Warriors' strong start more an illusion than sign of things to come
"Looking deeper into their opening act, there are signs that the Warriors' hot start should be attributed more to beginner's luck than actual talent. Take a good look at the teams the Warriors have beaten so far: the Detroit Pistons, Knicks, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers and the Houston Rockets. Not exactly a murderer's row. Aside from their Jazz victory, which shouldn't be entirely disregarded, Golden State's wins have come against losing teams with a combined record of 17-38. Adding to this skepticism is Golden State's negative scoring margin, as they've been outscored by their opponents on the season by an average of 1.3 points per contest. In fact, outside of the Warriors' matchup with the one-win Clippers, none of their margins of victory has been more than seven points ... In addition to the 22-year-old Stephen Curry, the Warriors have solidified their front line, with prized free agent David Lee and center Andris Biedrins signed for the long haul. But their depth up front is paper thin, making Lee's freak elbow injury even more troublesome."

thanks, 8th ave, nothing insightfull, though. and he got some money for that, i could bet.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:57 pm
As far as ESPN, they are the same guys that picked the Yankees, Phillies, Rays and Rangers ahead of the Giants pitching ... they also locked the Heat to the finals .. sheesh. We had a favorable schedule, playing without our highest paid player (DLee) and key guard Curry and still won. Who cares how we win games ... which is a problem of Smart strategy more than ability (he purposely lets teams in the fourth benching Lee and Ellis until the final 6 minutes of the 4th quarter.) Its not Smart fault that we traded a bunch of servicable players (Mags, Jackson, Crawford) for the like of Gadz, Bell, Vlade, Acie Law but you can't win games with a big margin with Ellis sitting a good chunk of the fourth quarter. Like I mention a lot, when you got Vlade and his 30% shooting ahead of BW 51% in FG shooting ... you are set on getting no production from your bench because of the head coach whim. Curry is not and will never be an elite point guard (that is not his position), but for the price (rookie contract) and his production ... he can't be replaced because good luck getting a decent point guard on the open market. As a complete side note, Smart is coaching for a chance at a playoff spot and a contract ( he could care less about developing a key asset (BW) either as trade bait or as decent low post contributor) so he will focus on winning ugly over pretty wins or player development.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:20 pm
you didnt always use parentheses :|

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:23 pm
holy ****... you have, but i've never noticed them....... jesus..........................

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:57 pm
Hey martin, the thing that i quoted earlier was from rumor central for espn insiders...

here's the full article

It happens every year about this time -- a basement dweller from the previous season soars out of the gate and looks like a playoff contender in the first month of the season. The 2010-11 nominee? The Golden State Warriors.

With a 7-4 record heading into their Friday night matchup against the reeling New York Knicks, the Warriors have the league's attention. It's a new beginning in the Bay Area; new ownership, a new head coach, a new color scheme and a new highest-paid player give this team a promising sense of rebirth after a miserable ending to the Don Nelson era.

But looking deeper into the opening act, there are signs that the Warriors' hot start should be attributed more to beginner's luck than actual talent.

The bad news

Take a good look at the teams the Warriors have beaten so far: the Detroit Pistons, Knicks, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Los Angeles Clippers and Houston Rockets. Not exactly a murderer's row. Aside from their Jazz victory, which shouldn't be entirely disregarded, the Warriors' wins have come against losing teams with a combined record of 17-38.

Adding to this skepticism is Golden State's negative scoring margin, as it has been outscored by its opponents on the season by an average of 1.3 points per contest. In fact, outside of the Warriors' matchup with the one-win Clippers, none of their margins of victory has been more than seven points.

The semigood news

But that isn't to say the Warriors aren't playing good basketball. Newly promoted head coach Keith Smart made a pledge this past summer to build his team around defense, a tune that hasn't been sung in the Warriors' camp in what seems like a decade. As expected, Smart's offseason aspirations were greeted by a barrage of snarky comments within the basketball community.

The Warriors? Play defense? No chance.

Well, look who's laughing now. The Warriors are actually playing defense. Not just trying, mind you, but legitimately stopping opposing offenses. In fact, they enter Friday night's game as a top-10 defensive team, allowing just 102.9 points per 100 possessions. That's 0.6 points stingier than Larry Brown's Charlotte Bobcats, who led the league in defensive efficiency last season, and 1.4 points better than the defending champs, the Los Angeles Lakers.

But just when we feel it's safe to tout the Warriors' progress on the defensive end, strength of schedule rears its ugly head. Golden State has faced the league's worst offenses. (The Raptors, Knicks, Pistons, Grizzlies, Clippers and Bucks all rank in the bottom 10 in offensive efficiency.) What's worse, Golden State has been lit up by its more capable opponents, allowing an average of 118.3 points to the Lakers, Rockets and Chicago Bulls.

The silver lining

Although the Warriors have reached 7-4 with mostly smoke and mirrors, it may be the perfect time to cash in and start shopping guard Monta Ellis, who's averaging 26.5 points, 4.8 assists and 2.5 steals on the season. The 25-year-old undersized 2-guard is this generation's answer to Allen Iverson, a scorer who built his reputation on gaudy point totals as opposed to efficiency that would help his team win more games.

One Western Conference general manager believes that Stephen Curry, not Ellis, should be the franchise cornerstone, pointing out that Ellis could be an asset providing a scoring punch off the bench for a contender. That's if you can persuade him to go there. "He's definitely a quality NBA player," the GM said. "I just think he's overpaid.

"Curry, to me, is the closest player in the NBA to [Steve] Nash. I don't think there's going to be another Nash since he's so skilled with the ball, but Curry's the closest thing to his set of decision-making and shooting skills. He's the one to build around."

In addition to the 22-year-old Curry, the Warriors have solidified their front line, with prized free agent David Lee and center Andris Biedrins signed for the long haul. But their depth up front is paper-thin, making Lee's freak elbow injury even more troublesome. The former Knicks big man's infected elbow should table him for at least a week, leaving the Warriors short-handed against New York on Friday and the Lakers on Sunday.

But the team's biggest surprise out of the gate has been former Heat forward Dorell Wright, who's starting for the Warriors after signing a three-year deal for their midlevel exception this offseason. The 25-year-old's red-hot 3-point shooting has been key in their wins, especially when he drilled seven treys against the Grizzlies. But he should regress a bit from his current rate of 44.1 percent, which is almost 10 percentage points above his career mark of 34.4 percent. He's doing his best Anthony Morrow impression from beyond the arc, but don't expect it to last much longer.

The 7-4 start should raise the spirits for a franchise in need of a serious confidence boost. But rest assured, after some fortuitous scheduling, this Warriors start is more fluke than for real.

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball