Effect of Monta's Injury...

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 pm
We all know Monta has been a huge part of the Warriors success so far this season. But, since the off-season started many of the people in the sports world and people on this forum have been open to getting rid of Monta and starting Reggie Williams. After what we have seen so far, I wanted to know if this feeling still exists from our fans and do people think this injury will make our team play better?

I'm an obvious Monta supporter and I hope his injury isn't very serious because this can be a huge blow to our success this season. I don't think we can play with the confidence we have had without him. Reggie has to step up big for these next few games and so will everyone else. But ultimately we are not a better team without Monta in any way.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:34 am
cellomac1212 wrote:We all know Monta has been a huge part of the Warriors success so far this season. But, since the off-season started many of the people in the sports world and people on this forum have been open to getting rid of Monta and starting Reggie Williams. After what we have seen so far, I wanted to know if this feeling still exists from our fans and do people think this injury will make our team play better?

I'm an obvious Monta supporter and I hope his injury isn't very serious because this can be a huge blow to our success this season. I don't think we can play with the confidence we have had without him. Reggie has to step up big for these next few games and so will everyone else. But ultimately we are not a better team without Monta in any way.

Of course we aren't. If we had traded him we'd have someone else in place of him right now... not just him gone.

I think Reggie can fill in just fine. [big surprise.] He plays under control, makes the right passes, takes the right shots ... I think it's Lee who will need to pick up the slack... love the rebounding but it's time for some 20+ pt games.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am
Reggie is a dime a dozen guard, he will neither make or break the team. The player that excels (assuming he has a good ankle) is Curry because he knows he will get the key shots late in the game like when he took off last year. Since Ellis is a psuedo-Tony Parker (a one man fast break) and a really good field goal percentage shooter 51% compared to Durant 46% or Kobe 41% people who think of Ellis as a volume shooter (think Mags, BD, Jackson) are the same so called experts that hated the SF Giants and picked anyone else to win the series out of 30 teams. I have no clue what Smart will do in Ellis absence, but you have to continue the high field goal percentage plays (which means DLee, BW and Biedrins should get the touches ... Curry in the fourth). If our shooters (Vlade, Reggie, D Wright, Carney) get more looks ... well this good start will be short lived. Without Ellis, Curry can easily score 24-40 per night and Reggie can get his when Curry needs to rest. In fact Ellis was playing better than both KD and Kobe (sure its early) ... so unless we get Melo in return ... if we lose Ellis long term - the Cohan curse continues.
Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:33 am
Monta's back injury is "not serious"
Posted on: November 9, 2010 9:49 amScore: 168
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Posted by Royce Young

Monday night, Monta Ellis took a weird, awkward fall against Toronto. He appeared to jam his back if that's possible by bending backwards in a strange way. He stayed on the floor for an extended period of time, appearing to be in legitimate pain.

He was taken off and didn't return to the game. He stayed in Toronto Monday night following the game and had some x-rays to see if any damage was done. But Ken Berger of CBSSports.com passes along that according to a source, Monta's injury is "not serious" and is being classified as a back strain.

A sigh of relief for the Warriors for sure, who have started the season 5-2 behind excellent backcourt play from the league's leading scorer Ellis and Stephen Curry. As to if Ellis will play Wednesday against the Knicks is up in the air still.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 4/25751666

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am
Thanks for the quick update Hobbes. *sigh of relief*
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:19 am
hobbes wrote:Monta's back injury is "not serious"
Posted on: November 9, 2010 9:49 amScore: 168
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Posted by Royce Young

Monday night, Monta Ellis took a weird, awkward fall against Toronto. He appeared to jam his back if that's possible by bending backwards in a strange way. He stayed on the floor for an extended period of time, appearing to be in legitimate pain.

He was taken off and didn't return to the game. He stayed in Toronto Monday night following the game and had some x-rays to see if any damage was done. But Ken Berger of CBSSports.com passes along that according to a source, Monta's injury is "not serious" and is being classified as a back strain.

A sigh of relief for the Warriors for sure, who have started the season 5-2 behind excellent backcourt play from the league's leading scorer Ellis and Stephen Curry. As to if Ellis will play Wednesday against the Knicks is up in the air still.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 4/25751666

Please be true please be true!!!
Cohan and Nelly are gone!!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:16 am
Reggie might be productive enough for us to hover a few game below .500 in a monta absence but monta's huge MVP lines are the reasons why we are above .500 now. Loosing Curry or Ellis for any amount of time would be devastating and since that is a likelihood at some point, we need our backup guards to see more pt and prove that they can alleviate some of the load.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:35 pm
I don't know that Smart goes with Reggie if Eliis is a no go.
Considering his substituiton patterns I think he still perfers Reggie off the bench.

I can see him going with Carney at the 2 or Vlad at the 3 with Dorell at the 2.
Not my personal opinion, just what I think he will do.
Either way Reggie should get plenty of minutes.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:56 pm
its going to be very difficult to replace 28 ppg, but like beast said, now is the best time than ever for lee to have some 20+ nights... maybe nows a good time for us to start draining those threes like last season, atleast for the stretch that we dont have monta... we also need to keep up the good rebound and defense...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:14 pm
NEW YORK (AP)—NBA leading scorer Monta Ellis(notes) has rejoined the Golden State Warriors in New York after spending Monday night in Toronto to have his injured back examined.

Ellis was diagnosed Tuesday with a strained lower back. He underwent X-rays and a CT scan after falling awkwardly to the floor with 1:22 remaining in the Warriors’ 109-102 win over the Raptors, in which Ellis scored 28 points.

He remained down for several minutes before being helped up, then walked slowly to the locker room.

Ellis is averaging 27.9 points for Golden State (5-2), which plays at the Knicks on Wednesday. He is listed as day to day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... iors-ellis
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 pm
I don't think he'll be out more than 2-3 games. We'll have to see some big games from the big men - that will help.
The Hulk is a Warriors fan.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:22 pm
I'd say keep him out until we return from the road trip. Back injuries are nothing to gamble with ... especially with the aggressive nature Monta plays in ... don't want this injury to linger.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:56 pm
Beast Mode wrote:I'd say keep him out until we return from the road trip. Back injuries are nothing to gamble with ... especially with the aggressive nature Monta plays in ... don't want this injury to linger.

yeah, but i wanna smash the **** outa nyk to rub it in randolphs face
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:47 pm
8th ave wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:I'd say keep him out until we return from the road trip. Back injuries are nothing to gamble with ... especially with the aggressive nature Monta plays in ... don't want this injury to linger.

yeah, but i wanna smash the **** outa nyk to rub it in randolphs face

:mrgreen:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:20 pm

Agreed. I think they should also fly him back to Oakland to rest rather than have him taking a 3 flights in 5 days as that can't help the recovery for a lower back.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball