Monta's good start

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Looks like Monta was voted as the Western Conference player of the week:
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70796/20101227/ellis_lebron_named_nba_players_of_the_week/

Sweet! let's see if we can win somemore games and get some All star consideration.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 am
Excpet for that dumb foul yesterday in Charlotte, Ellis is coming through big in crunch time. That's a big change from years past. He's now All-Star worthy in my book.

Monta's not a selfish player, he's just dumber than that big rock in your backyard. So he's not perfect? Shocker.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:00 pm
The fact that Monta Eliis hasn't cracked top ten in the Guard list for All Star weekend is just WRONG! :letitallout: :banghead:

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/01/06/allstar-ballot-results-3/index.html#update

Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Eric Gordon should not have more votes then him! And he is exciting to watch!

Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:30 pm
I guess fans are that stupid...overall at least, props to those who can think on their own. :)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 am
If the team is in a playoff spot by the end of the voting, I reckon he'll be picked allstar at least, even as a backup.

I also think the team should look to trade Monta. I know I'll get some backlash for saying that, but as I said about a year ago, I don't think Monta will get any better and will actually regress from this level very soon. The main point for me is that he doesn't make the team a winner and I think he takes away from Curry a bit, I really do.

How many years on his contract, I haven't checked, but I think it's two or three. It is not a long contract so he would be very attractive to most teams. I think the team should try to trade him together with AB for that star Center I talked about about a year ago. AB has been disappointing and only has about two years left on his contract, as an expirer this offseason, if he is one, he is real attractive to other teams. Just my take

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:06 am
well, miggs, monta's learning his three point shot, he is getting better (1). learning to make plays for others, where he gets better every year (2). so, i do not think he might be regressing soon. he's only progressing and i see no reason to be otherwise. he expands his skills, he is young, and he is learning the game. nothing suggest that he might become worse than he is now in near future.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:04 pm
martin wrote:well, miggs, monta's learning his three point shot, he is getting better (1). learning to make plays for others, where he gets better every year (2). so, i do not think he might be regressing soon. he's only progressing and i see no reason to be otherwise. he expands his skills, he is young, and he is learning the game. nothing suggest that he might become worse than he is now in near future.

Very good points... but what I am most impressed with is his leadership and maturity. He is THE GUY on the team. Everyone looks to him when things are shaky. I think the older he gets and the more time he spends with his team that will only increase. It doesn't matter what we think, as much as what his team mates think of him.

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:12 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:
martin wrote:well, miggs, monta's learning his three point shot, he is getting better (1). learning to make plays for others, where he gets better every year (2). so, i do not think he might be regressing soon. he's only progressing and i see no reason to be otherwise. he expands his skills, he is young, and he is learning the game. nothing suggest that he might become worse than he is now in near future.

Very good points... but what I am most impressed with is his leadership and maturity. He is THE GUY on the team. Everyone looks to him when things are shaky. I think the older he gets and the more time he spends with his team that will only increase. It doesn't matter what we think, as much as what his team mates think of him.

y thing is that the team hasn't been any good with him as the star and I don't think will be. Monta's value is so high right now and many probably see him as a top 10 player in the nba right now and probably with good reason. I'd prefer a SG like Iguodala, who really hasn't gotten better the last three years, but plays the defense and is much bigger. I just thinkchange is needed and Monta is the best piece to use.

AB would get higher value traded together with Monta as well I think

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:56 pm
Trading Monta now would be a bad idea he is peaking at 26, plus he just tatted the warriors logo on his body.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:05 pm
I see no reason to trade Monta, unless we are blown away by a trade offer. You jut don't get the production he brings for that price unless we are talking about a rookie. Monta along with players like Millsap and David West are great contracts to have on your team as they give you the opportunity to build good teams which we are starting to do. Which is why I don't agree that we can't be successful with Monta as our star. Since he's been our star, he's had 1 full season where he played, and not only was he surrounded with a crap roster to begin with, but that team had like the second most injuries of any team in NBA history. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's an accurate gauge of what a team with Monta as it's star will be. I don't know if prime Michael Jordan could have go last years team into the playoffs, so that is just poor logic.

I think this years roster, is a more accurate gauge of what we can do with him as our star, but rather than an abysmal roster, we have something that resembles a basketball team. We've still had injuries, but if you build team the right way around him and Curry, we can be good. What we need is length and bulk around them, which we have started to do, but could use a center. Trading Monta for Iguodala does not make us a better team (You want to talk about a player who can't be the the best player on a winning team look no further, the 76ers have been just as bad as us with a better roster the last 2 years)

Hopefully Riley is holding onto those expiring contracts in hope of offering Gasol a deal Memphis can't match. If not Biedrins is not as terrible of a trading chip as many people think. A young 7 footer who moves well and has good hands will always have value. Especially for a coach that's capable of developing bigs. You don't think Miami would be all over something like this if a 3rd team got involved? Hopefully Udoh can put on another 15 or so lbs, because he is exactly what we need. A good post defender, with shot changing length and can hold down the paint
Get Money. Get Paid.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:52 pm
11 days left to vote for Ellis - http://www.nba.com/allstar2011/asb/eng/ballot.html
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:21 pm
I voted, him and Lee.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 pm
Montas getting better, why trade him? His PPG and APG are at highs, and his 3 point shooting is getting better too. He's also becoming clutch, remember that 3 he hit vs the Lakers to take the lead 89-88?
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 pm
bigdaddyfunk wrote:Montas getting better, why trade him? His PPG and APG are at highs, and his 3 point shooting is getting better too. He's also becoming clutch, remember that 3 he hit vs the Lakers to take the lead 89-88?

he could be at career highs in each statistical category and it still wont matter, because the number in the losing column outweighs the number in the win columns.... wins -- its the only stat that matters....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm
Well, the point is that obviously it is not Ellis that is the problem here, but other parts. I saw the other day that Mayo scored 2 points for like 30 minutes played, and Marc Gasol didn't reach 10 as well, for even more time in the game. Of course, they are not like that every game, but you won't see Monta fall so badly in any game. After that I can't see how we would impreve our winning column with those two, instead of Monta and Andris. Nothing would change if we would give one all-star player (Monta is getting better in every aspect of the game, bar defense) and one under average, for two average players. Mayo is OK guy, but I think he's now just a bit overhyped. He never did anything that good to be considered any kind of substitution to Ellis. He's just not consistent.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball