Monta's good start

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:57 pm
I know this has been a topic of debate, some people think the TEAM plays better without him and we should trade him while he has high value, and some think we should keep him.

I have always been inclined to keep him unless you are getting someone, or two somebodies really good in return... i mean stars. However, the way he is playing I don't think there is any way you can trade him!! There is nothing out there that is worth the risk. He is playing out of his mind right now, and based off of the first two games he plays even better when curry is on the floor. He doesn't force as much shots, and curry takes away some of the double team presure.

Great back court tandum. However, the reason I started this thread, is two fold:
A) I haven't seen anyone on here talk about the BANG! for the buck$: We are dishing out $11 million a year on his contract... considering he is the current scoring leader, and is NBA.com's MVP look out list:
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/11/05/race-to-mvp-kobe-bryant/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

This is an EXCELLENT contract. I have heard some say the W's brass don't like his contract, but look at the other names on the list there and this year's salary:
1) Kobe $24
2) C Paul $15 (next year $16, then free agent... you know he is getting max)
3) Rondo $9 (then $10, 11, 12, 13)
4) Dirk $17 (then $19, 20..)
5) Ellis $11 ($11 for the 2 years after that then player option)
6) KD $6 (but then $13.5, 15, 16...)
7) Superman $16 (then $17, $18, 19)
8) Gasol ($17, $18, 19)
9) J Kidd $8.5 (then $8.5)
10) Lamar Kardashian $8.2 (then $8.9)

To be on this list and have a contract on the lower end of the spectrum is good! And he is still one of the younger ones there at 25. Only KD and Rondo are younger....

ok howard, paul, rondo and ellis are all pretty much the same age, and kd is three years younger.

My point is his contract is good, there are other contracts out there that make less sense to me, example:
Gay, Joe Johnson, and there are others getting paid way more who have less impact on there team.

I don't think you are going to find much better bang for your buck outside the rookie scale then ellis. Now if we can figure out how to get a deeper team then we will can start thinking about playoff runs. We have 2-3years where are all core guys are under contract.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:59 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Great back court tandum. However, the reason I started this thread, is two fold:
A)
I haven't seen anyone on here talk about the BANG! for the buck$: We are dishing out $11 million a year on his contract... considering he is the current scoring leader, and is NBA.com's MVP look out list:
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/11/05/race-to-mvp-kobe-bryant/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

I forgot what B was.... :banghead:

Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:31 pm
Monta commands doubles and frees up room for everyone else, along with him putting up 30 a night He is a FREAK
Cohan and Nelly are gone!!!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:34 pm
Man I'm glad there was still people who kept faith in Monta and this organization did. All those dumb Monta trade talks shouldn't of even happened.
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:35 pm
Like I said in another post, Eliis is shutting a lot of people up right now.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:54 pm
we all need to praise his wife... that girl has turned monta into a man....
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 am
http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors-hea ... ck_check=1
Headline: "Golden State Warriors guard Monta Ellis well on the way to elite status"
I Believe - that Curry and Monta are gonna have a lot of fun playing together for many years to come.
I Believe - we will be the most improved team in the league next year.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:41 am
At this point, neither Iguodala nor Smith would be enough in return for Ellis. One source said the Warriors probably wouldn't part with Ellis even if it meant landing Anthony, who some consider a top-five player in the NBA.

Damn!
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:25 pm
frenchalexander wrote:
At this point, neither Iguodala nor Smith would be enough in return for Ellis. One source said the Warriors probably wouldn't part with Ellis even if it meant landing Anthony, who some consider a top-five player in the NBA.

Damn!

I think that'd be taking it pretty far but maybe the organization sees D-Wright as the long term SF? He keeps hitting 3's the way he is now and playing all around good basketball I don't mind ... but saying no to Melo ... kinda crazy. Curry/Wright/Anthony/Lee/Udoh *when hes healthy* ... sexy on paper
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm
I think this kid needs guidance not beaching. He is already a hi profile scorer, with an at least average defense and a good ego control he can be a superstar.

Mullin is the Ultimate Warrior

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm
I'd be disappointed to see an Ellis (+) for Anthony trade. I think Ellis gives more effort on both ends and already has the chemistry with teammates that Melo would have to develop. Plus, W's could only do it if Melo was extended, and that would be damn expensive compared to Monta's contract.
I Believe - that Curry and Monta are gonna have a lot of fun playing together for many years to come.
I Believe - we will be the most improved team in the league next year.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:46 pm
My problem with Monta is that he's undersized for his position. None of those guys are undersized for their position. There is no question that Monta is a scorer. So you may want to compare his contract to similar players

Leandro Barbosa = $7M
Nate Robinson = $4.5M
Ben Gordon =$10.8M ($13.2 in the last year)
Courtney Lee = $1.8M
Luther Head = $995K
Devin Harris = $9M
Jason Terry = $11M
Kirk Hinrich = $9M
JJ Reddick = $7.5M
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:14 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:My problem with Monta is that he's undersized for his position. None of those guys are undersized for their position. There is no question that Monta is a scorer. So you may want to compare his contract to similar players

Leandro Barbosa = $7M
Nate Robinson = $4.5M
Courtney Lee = $1.8M
Luther Head = $995K
Devin Harris = $9M
Jason Terry = $11M
Kirk Hinrich = $9M
JJ Reddick = $7.5M

Hum.... wouldn't classify any of those guys as simlar players. If you put him in that category then I would agree his contract is not appealing... but I never would put him in that category to begin with.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:My problem with Monta is that he's undersized for his position. None of those guys are undersized for their position. There is no question that Monta is a scorer. So you may want to compare his contract to similar players

Leandro Barbosa = $7M
Nate Robinson = $4.5M
Courtney Lee = $1.8M
Luther Head = $995K
Devin Harris = $9M
Jason Terry = $11M
Kirk Hinrich = $9M
JJ Reddick = $7.5M

Barbosa and Gordon is the same size at Monta and plays the same spot. Jason Terry is shorter than Monta and plays the same spot.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:42 pm
with the way monta is playing, i would pay you max money.... nuff said
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Next

Return to Warriors Basketball