I think Ellis wants to be a Warrior for life.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:44 am
Monta's value may never be higher so I'd trade him now. If the team is decent this season and Monta is playing real well, his value may be as good if not better, so I'd trade him then, but he is nothing special, just a scorer

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm
migya, you were so, so right during Monta's peak in February...much respect earned :)

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:39 pm
Monta is a great scorer. He is good defender. He is a execellent 2 guard. Few others better then him at the SG spot in this league. Trading him would be a mistake.

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:40 pm
Unless you are getting someone better, or two pieces better then him.

Hall of Famer
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 pm
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Monta is a great scorer. He is good defender. He is a execellent 2 guard. Few others better then him at the SG spot in this league. Trading him would be a mistake.

There was a thread on here some five or six months ago where someone brought up a very interesting statistic that showed how the team won more without Monta and outscored the opposition more without Monta. That shows me all I need to know, Monta is more numbers than real worth

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:03 pm
migya wrote:
GSW Hoops Fan wrote:Monta is a great scorer. He is good defender. He is a execellent 2 guard. Few others better then him at the SG spot in this league. Trading him would be a mistake.

There was a thread on here some five or six months ago where someone brought up a very interesting statistic that showed how the team won more without Monta and outscored the opposition more without Monta. That shows me all I need to know, Monta is more numbers than real worth

The problem with statistics is they do not show the whole picture. Yeah, they won more and outscored openents by more.... is that becasue Monta was trying to do too much? Was it because he doesn't know how to play in a team?

Or was it that maybe the rest of the rookies, D-Leaguers, rest of the team stepped up while he was out? There were plenty of games last year that I saw where Ellis tried to get others involved but they just stood there, didn't move without the ball, or just missed open shots.

I may be wrong... but I don't think any of those statistics speak to his true value.

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 pm
migya wrote:

Are you talking about Bada's epic dotchart? lol

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:29 pm
LilBallerx30 wrote:
migya wrote:

The one that had Monta ranked like .. 2nd to last in the league in efficiency... He was pretty terrible at times last year. All I want is that old mid-range jumper Monta back ... that shoot 60% in a month Monta ... But if we can get good return in a deal [great player or few good players and multiple 1st rounders] ... I'd do it.

Rookie
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:30 pm
The worst thing about Most of you is that you think just not having him makes us a better team. I don't know if yall been paying attention to preseason at all, but Monta is the reason we're winning any of these games. Curry don't look so hot right now and taking away his only weapon will not make the Warriors better. For some reason you guys think coaching has nothing to do with how the Warriors played last year.

Monta on the floor: give him the ball and let him score (Nelson had no faith in an injury riddled team where he was forced to play players that may not have belonged in the NBA).

Monta off the floor: Nelson had no choice but to develop a team strategy to be competitive because he didn't have a star he could count on.

Fact is Monta is a hell of a player. With correct coaching and a good game plan, the Warriors will be hard to stop. Secondly, we ain't trading him no time soon so stop being unsupportive assholes, get with the picture, and cheer for your team to be better in a season that has not even started before you talk about what other moves we need to make.

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:32 pm
Beast Mode wrote:
LilBallerx30 wrote:
migya wrote:

The one that had Monta ranked like .. 2nd to last in the league in efficiency... He was pretty terrible at times last year. All I want is that old mid-range jumper Monta back ... that shoot 60% in a month Monta ... But if we can get good return in a deal [great player or few good players and multiple 1st rounders] ... I'd do it.

yup, the mid range were BEAUTIFUL to watch. fast break, and bastard chooses to pullup and take a mid-range....and makes it.

Rookie
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:35 pm
Beast Mode wrote:
LilBallerx30 wrote:
migya wrote:

Check Kevin Durant's efficiency when his team asked him to do too much. It looks just like Monta's. Fact is efficiency is such a horrible stat to gage how good a player is. If the team sucks, more than often the efficiency of the best player on that team is going to suck. You need a good team to be an efficient player according to how the stats are judged by the stat guys.

All Star
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 pm
Bada didn't use effiency; he made his own equation of something

Rookie
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 pm
I think some are starting to see that Monta's a talent.He may need to play within a team concept better but I think the will is there.Give these guys a year.See how our new pieces pan out,see how BW pans out.Monta isn't a problem,he's an asset in the right situation.He just needs some of the load taken off his back.

Role Player
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 pm
cellomac1212 wrote:The worst thing about Most of you is that you think just not having him makes us a better team. I don't know if yall been paying attention to preseason at all, but Monta is the reason we're winning any of these games. Curry don't look so hot right now and taking away his only weapon will not make the Warriors better. For some reason you guys think coaching has nothing to do with how the Warriors played last year.

Monta on the floor: give him the ball and let him score (Nelson had no faith in an injury riddled team where he was forced to play players that may not have belonged in the NBA).

Monta off the floor: Nelson had no choice but to develop a team strategy to be competitive because he didn't have a star he could count on.

Fact is Monta is a hell of a player. With correct coaching and a good game plan, the Warriors will be hard to stop. Secondly, we ain't trading him no time soon so stop being unsupportive assholes, get with the picture, and cheer for your team to be better in a season that has not even started before you talk about what other moves we need to make.

Damn no one replied to this guy cause HE WENT IN AND JUST TOLD ALL YOU NIGGAS WHO HATE OFF! :D :D :D

Role Player
» Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 pm
Agree with most of Cellomac's post. Everyone points to last season as why we should trade Monta. Last year Monta's best surrounding players was a rookie guard and Corey Maggette (who missed out on a lot of games). On top of that he had Don Nelson telling him he could and should take any available shot (similar to Jackson and Baron before him). Like others have said (and obviously they watched games) Monta did try to get other team mates involved, but the talent just was not there. Thus he had to rely on himself way too often.

However, the last real season Monta played before that, and was surrounded by two other legitimate (I know some people might disagree with my word choice there) scoring options in Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson, Monta was one of the most efficient guards in the league. Now with a year of Curry improving, and a legitimate post presence, we have two legitimate scoring options around him. Based on those two years, and the differences in supporting cast and their effects on Monta's numbers, this year he should at least improve upon last year, with the potential to be as efficient as 07-08 or even better.

Since then Monta has also stepped up his game on the other side of the court, showing much more interest in defense. He was second in the league in steals last year, and proved he could do a solid job guarding some of the leagues top SGs. He would get burned, and often by some of the lesser talent, but he also led the league in minutes per game last year. Anyone can see that no can truly play at the rate we do and be responsible for that much, especially on a team full of scrubs. So knocks on him only being a scorer can stop there as well.

Now maybe I'm being too much of a homer, but I thing a core of Curry, Monta and Lee should be much more efficient than one of Baron, Monta and Jackson. That core surrounded by complimentary players focused on playing basketball on both ends of the floor instead of just being should lead to some major improvements to our win total, barring major injury (although our bench may be weaker than last year). So I say before trading Monta we see how this core does, because if this roster can mesh as well as the We Believe roster, we should have a much improved Monta. And when he is as efficient as he can be, the guy is pretty much unstoppable of the offensive side of the floor.