Why Udoh was a good pick

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:08 pm
After he was picked by the Warriors, even in the one minute ESPN interview, he sounded like a guy who has his priorities straight, someone who is brighter than, say the Randolphs of the world. Well, it seems my impression was correct:

Head's up: When the Warriors watch videos of their practices, there is one constant: There's always a head streaking across the bottom of the screen. Rookie forward Ekpe Udoh sprints alongside the main practice court because he can't get on it.

Udoh is expected to be cleared to play in January after needing offseason wrist surgery. That hasn't stopped him from conditioning and sticking his nose into every huddle with the coaches.

"He is a rookie who is in tune," Smart said. "When the team runs a fast break, he runs a fast break. He's in the huddles. In huddles, he sits there and pays attention. He's attentive in film room. Right now he's showing us he's a student. He'll be out of game timing when he comes back, but he'll be up to speed on the terminology. "

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm
Minus the injury I think it was the right pick for the position we needed, a defensive PF/C.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:06 am
agreed and agreed
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm
Its a tad too early to tell whether Udoh was a good pick or not, especially when they were able to get a guy like David Lee after they drafted Udoh. We really have to see what players like Monroe, Aminu, Henry, and George turn out to be. Lets not forget that this team didn't have a lot of options at the SF position before the draft. I think in 2 years, they're going to regret passing up on Aminu and George. Aminu has a chance to be a Josh Smith type player while George has been been compared to Danny Granger. The Warriors decided to draft a guy that scouts compared to Jerome Moiso or Chris Gatling and at best..Emeko Okafor. He reminds me of another former Warriors, Adonal Foyle. Don't forget that Foyle was a 20 and 12 player while at Colgate and although Udoh's numbers don't sniff those, they're still have the same skillsets.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:52 pm
jeez... i had to go a lil far back to find a thread on udoh, but he's been cleared for more activity

via ESPN insider

Rookie Ekpe Udoh, who had surgery on his left wrist in July, was cleared Tuesday to increase his activity level.

"I'm excited, it's a blessing," Udoh told The Oakland Tribune. "I'm looking forward to just being able to go up against some bodies. I can run up and down today, but now I can really get in the jungle."

He was given an initial timeline of six months for a complete recovery from the surgery, but on Tuesday he didn't want to speculate as to when he'll make his debut for the Warriors.

"I just have to take it day-by-day and try to get better, get the wrist stronger, and just grasp everything in a practice session before it gets to a game setting," Udoh said. "It was a pretty tough injury to come back from. When it's that time, I'll know, and the coaching staff, they'll know, too."

Udoh was the No. 6 pick in the June draft.

I'm really excited to see what this kid has to offer our team... we all know he's there for defense, but i'm interested in seeing if he can get some offensive boards, make close baskets, and see if he could run a lil pick and roll
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm
I think if Lee was already a Warriors at draft time, they would of went a different direction. Going into the draft, the Warriors biggest need was a power forward. No one believed Randolph or Wright was ready as a full time starter or their long term solution at the position. Randolph was even going to play some SF for the Warriors. I still feel that Udoh is an iffy pick and wanted the Warriors to take either Al Farouq Aminu, Paul George or Xavier Henry. Udoh is a WYSIWYG player. After 3 years at Baylor, he has improved very little. He'll be a good shot blocker, but he's not going to be a guy that clamps down defensively in a 1-on-1 situation.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:18 pm
well with the emergence of D-Wright we don't really need Paul George ... Xavier doesn't add anything, he'd be playing behind Reggie off the bench. Aminu? I didn't buy into the hype ... he's look better than I thought he would but it was either Udoh/Monroe for where we were picking.

*I wanted Gordon Hayward*
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:37 am
Udoh better be a friggin Olajuwon on D to justifty that #6 pick.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:28 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I think if Lee was already a Warriors at draft time, they would of went a different direction. Going into the draft, the Warriors biggest need was a power forward. No one believed Randolph or Wright was ready as a full time starter or their long term solution at the position. Randolph was even going to play some SF for the Warriors. I still feel that Udoh is an iffy pick and wanted the Warriors to take either Al Farouq Aminu, Paul George or Xavier Henry. Udoh is a WYSIWYG player. After 3 years at Baylor, he has improved very little. He'll be a good shot blocker, but he's not going to be a guy that clamps down defensively in a 1-on-1 situation.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=31889/[url]

Ekpe Udoh spent 2 years at Michigan, sat a year, and then drastically improved as complete player with a very high basketball IQ and great leadership skills under Coach Scott Drew and company.

He also increased just about every stat from the year before dramatically. He still has some room to improve, yes.. but when he gets his offensive game to it's potential you will have a very solid stud at PF/C for years to come.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:21 am
You all are going to love Udoh. I'm a diehard Baylor fan and watched him practice and play every one of his games at Baylor. Composure; character; intelligence; great instincts; nice post up game with jump hooks from either hand; timing on defense.

As I watched Gonzaga's big man- Sacre- carve up Baylor's interior defense Saturday and watch Baylor struggle to score in the paint despite having 2 NBA prospects on the roster (Quincy Acy, Perry Jones), I realized that we really miss Udoh. Interior defense and scoring in the paint where a given with Ekpe.

He does so many things that don't show up in the box score like: knowing how to get proper spacing and angles; knowing when to set picks; causing offensive players to hurry shots because they know he is a good shot blocker; getting a tip on a ball to keep it alive and save a possession. Eventually other Warrior players will see this and will be shamed into giving the same kind of effort. Baylor was a poor defensive team until Ekpe arrived on campus. He transformed that culture and it has carried over since he left to some degree because of the example he set.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:56 pm
he needs to pack on some weight... he was matched up against cousins a couple of times and he was gettin bullied a lil bit... as a matter of fact he was bulling our entire frontcourt

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:40 am
Yesterday was the first time I got to see this guy play in a dubs uniform. I was pretty impressed. Although he wasn't flawless on defense, he did show good positional defense in the low post and after a block or 2 you could already see his defensive impact as he was changing shots and establishing some integrity in the paint. His defense will be much needed here with the lackluster post-defense of Biedrins and Lee.

I was more impressed with him on offense though. Maybe because I didn't expect much, but he showed a few post moves and besides a few miscues, showed good BBIQ within the offense. His hook to beat the buzzer last night was awesome. Hopefully he can improve a bit on the boards so we can start giving this guy some serious minutes.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Yesterday was the first time I got to see this guy play in a dubs uniform. I was pretty impressed. Although he wasn't flawless on defense, he did show good positional defense in the low post and after a block or 2 you could already see his defensive impact as he was changing shots and establishing some integrity in the paint. His defense will be much needed here with the lackluster post-defense of Biedrins and Lee.

I was more impressed with him on offense though. Maybe because I didn't expect much, but he showed a few post moves and besides a few miscues, showed good BBIQ within the offense. His hook to beat the buzzer last night was awesome. Hopefully he can improve a bit on the boards so we can start giving this guy some serious minutes.

The two consecutive blocks were amazing...
speaking of the game, felt good to hear real commentary instead of Bob and Fitz trying to cover up the Dub's mistakes...
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:03 pm
LilBallerx30 wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Yesterday was the first time I got to see this guy play in a dubs uniform. I was pretty impressed. Although he wasn't flawless on defense, he did show good positional defense in the low post and after a block or 2 you could already see his defensive impact as he was changing shots and establishing some integrity in the paint. His defense will be much needed here with the lackluster post-defense of Biedrins and Lee.

speaking of the game, felt good to hear real commentary instead of Bob and Fitz trying to cover up the Dub's mistakes...

I was at the game so I didn't get the chance to listen to the ESPN commentators. Did they make fun of us for the MVP chants we were giving Monta?

All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:51 pm
8th ave wrote:
LilBallerx30 wrote:

I was at the game so I didn't get the chance to listen to the ESPN commentators. Did they make fun of us for the MVP chants we were giving Monta?

Haha, no, they didn't. They did say that was probably unrealistic, but that he should deserve some all-star consideration if we can put together some wins.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball