How you became a Warriors fan ?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:01 pm
Inspired by GW9, I wonder how we all became Warriors fan. To start the session I will start with my story. I came to the States when I nine years from Sierra Leone (Blood Diamond) yes that country from West Africa in 1992. All we did sports wise was play soccer. Any how stayed in Maryland for 1 year, and came to Norcal the next year.

5th grade I started hooping during lunch time and was hooked, started watching the warriors in about 6th grade Channel 6 (KICU). Ever since then, the ups and downs, mostly downs I have watched and clinged to the warriors.

Rookie
» Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Field Trip with my 6th grade church group, First game I'd ever been too and I was super excited. At the time Showtime Lakers was the thing and they were playing in Oakland. Got the opportunity to see Magic, Kareem, Byron Scott, James Worthy, AC Green and Kurt Rambis. I gotta admit I was hooked on the purple and gold.

But as the game went on I noticed these fanatic Warrior Fans yelling and screaming for a team that was getting slaughtered. I looked in admiration as I thought, WOW these are some real fans, cheering for guys like Joe Barry Carroll, Purvis Short, Sleepy Floyd and of course Chris Mullin. Mind you this is the time that I started getting into Basketball and now I had a team to root for, been in love ever since. More downs than ups but I can't imagine ever rooting for any other team.

GO WARRIORS.

All Star
» Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm
1985, wow, thanks for sharing, Ill tell you this, for being a warriors fan for that long you deserve some type of medal, awesome story.

Starting Lineup
» Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm
My dad actually...he took me to a game back in 1994 (when I was 11 years old) and loved them ever since. He's been a fan for awhile now (back since '75 I think).

All Star
» Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:13 pm
When I was growing up, my brother loved all the local teams. His favorite were the Raiders, but he also followed the A's, Sharks, and Warriors. In 1996, he bought "NBA in the Zone" on the very first Playstation Platform. I remember shooting half court shots with Latrell and making them. I also remember manually doing the trade for Chris Mills, Terry Cummings, and Jon Starks. If you really think about it, barring the 07-08 season, being a Warriors fan hasn't been really good to me, but it'll pay off one day.... lol... but yeah, that's how I became a fan.

All Star
» Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:47 pm
i was born into this sh*thole

but its home now

Rookie
» Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 am
1991 Playoffs Round 1 victory over the Spurs. Run TMC baby! Been a fan eversince!

Site Admin
» Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 am
Beast Mode wrote:i was born into this sh*thole

but its home now

Yeah, nobody's dumb enough to just decide one day "I'm going to support a garbage organization/laughing stalk of the league!" - It's a birth right! :mrgreen: , jk. I'm a fan by proximity - I live in a bay area market so I get to see pretty much every game of all of my teams (9ers, giants, warriors).

All Star
» Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:50 am
JREED23 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:i was born into this sh*thole

but its home now

Yeah, nobody's dumb enough to just decide one day "I'm going to support a garbage organization/laughing stalk of the league!" - It's a birth right! :mrgreen: , jk. I'm a fan by proximity - I live in a bay area market so I get to see pretty much every game of all of my teams (9ers, giants, warriors).

Haha you'd think that ... but for some reason when I was in middle school I fell in love with the Saints ... working out pretty good for me right about now :)

» Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 am
When I was a kid, growing up, basketball was (and still is) quite popular in Serbia, and I watched a lot of NBA as well, but at that time, there weren't any broadcasts of NFL. So, I liked some teams when I was younger, mostly because of players, Penny, Glen Rice, Kemp and Payton and at the time a liked Sacremento (and Hornets before that) because of Vlade Divac and Peja...but I was never a fan, well, I was still a kid. Meanwhile, some TV started to broadcast NFL games, and I pretty much right away started cheering for the 49ers. I always liked Warriors (they were in the pack with few other teams that I liked), and when I got a chance to visit USA, and come to San Francisco...and came back home. I decided to cheer for a team from Bay Area in all of the sports. So, now I'm proudly calling myself a fan of Golden State Warriors (though, I still have a lot of catching up to do in terms of history...I learned much more of the 49ers for instance in that short time).

There you go.

Site Admin
» Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:45 pm
I think the most interesting thing, as an American fan, is really how our overseas friends became warrior fans. Good to get some insight, guybrush.

Rookie
» Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 pm
Five years ago (or six) - boss gave me his brother's tickets to game against the Bucks. First game ever. Tenth row or so behind the opponents bench - Bucks. Biedrin's rookie year, remember being impressed by his hustle. Lauged at Adonal a lot (I knew more about him than the W's from his Colgate days.)

Overtime.
Down by two.
Last second.
Warriors call time out.
Adrian tells Rocky to win on the big video screen.
Derek Fisher drains a three-pointer at the buzzer.
W's fan for life.

Franchise Player
» Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:24 am
I use to buy basketball cards & first pack i ever opened had a guy with Soldier haircut... I fell in love with Chris Mullin & supported him through the ups and the downs!

I use to be a NINER FAN when i was a kid with there Jerry Rice and Joe Montant fairytale... anyways i fell in love with the RAIDERS due to the proximity to the Oracle.

All Star
» Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:26 am
I was born in the Bay Area, but I grew up in Costa Rica. For the most part they only showed bulls games and playoff games. So when I started liking basketball I was a bulls fan, then I liked the Wolves, becuase KG was fun to watch, his intensity and passion. When I moved back to the bay area in 2000, I started watching warriors a little, and even though I rooted for the Timberwolves all the way until Kevin went to Boston, I enjoyed following the local team. After KG left to Boston I started following the warriors more closely, and now it is the only team for me! Mainly becausee of the fans!!

Rookie
» Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:51 pm
I was born into being a Warrior fan. I can't honestly imagine rooting for a different team. I love GSW!