News: Carmelo in the Bay Are a possibility

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Site Admin
» Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:32 pm
If anything, at least we are mentioned as a place that Melo would consider - I take it as a HUGE plus, that a superstar that is waaay too good for us wouldn't reject the idea of coming here and playing.

Role Player
» Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:00 pm
The only feaseable offer that the Clippers could put together would be Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon, Al Farouq Aminu and a future 1st round pick for Carmelo Anthony. that wouldn't be a horrible trade for the Nuggets either, especially if they're banking on Blake Griffin. Baron Davis, Rasual Butler, Carmelo Anthony, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan could really make some noise in the Westen Conference and i could see that line up leap-frogging a team like San Antonio and Utah. The Clippers still have some cap room to work with and can sign a guy like Ime Udoka to be that defensive stopper at the 2. I think that is a better package than the Warriors could offer. Gordon is bigger and stronger than Ellis and Kaman is a much better center while making nearly the same as Biedrins.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:47 pm
But that would also gut the Clipp's roster, so who knows if they would do that.

The Warriors could trade Monta, Udoh, and a draft pick...miracle time?

Rookie
» Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:39 am
I'd give up anyone but Curry and Lee for Carmelo.

All Star
» Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:09 pm
JSU2004 wrote:I'd give up anyone but Curry and Lee for Carmelo.

so would we all.

Franchise Player
» Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:07 am
trade him east!!!

ill be happy then!

Site Admin
» Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 am
PAWNO wrote:trade him east!!!

ill be happy then!

Got a point there, I see the worst case being him just staying in the West and not in a GSW uni. If he goes East then it's all good - another western playoff team being taken out of contention!

Role Player
» Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:09 am
I wouldn't give up Curry in a package to get Carmelo. Scoring small forwards are much easier to come by than potentially great point guards. Sure Curry still has a ways to go, but he has the makings of being one of the best points in the league in 3 years. CA is going to score a lot of points by taking a lot of shots (21 FGA), while not passing the ball with a career average of 2 assists per game. He's a 6 rebound a game player which isn't horrid, but not on par with players like Lebron, Josh Smith, Wallace, Durant or Deng. Carmelo doesn't play much defense either. There wasn't enough ball to go around when Iverson was there so what makes you think he can co-exist with a player like Ellis who makes Iverson look like he's John Stockton.

If it was Ellis, Udoh and Biedrins for Melo and JR Smith, then I'd do it. This would be a great way for the W's to get rid of two overpaid players in Ellis and Biedrins, at the same time, get expiring contracts back in return. I'd much rather think of Carmelo as an trade pawn than a future player. Imagine come trade deadline time and what the Warriors can ask for.

All Star
» Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:15 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I wouldn't give up Curry in a package to get Carmelo. Scoring small forwards are much easier to come by than potentially great point guards. Sure Curry still has a ways to go, but he has the makings of being one of the best points in the league in 3 years. CA is going to score a lot of points by taking a lot of shots (21 FGA), while not passing the ball with a career average of 2 assists per game. He's a 6 rebound a game player which isn't horrid, but not on par with players like Lebron, Josh Smith, Wallace, Durant or Deng. Carmelo doesn't play much defense either. There wasn't enough ball to go around when Iverson was there so what makes you think he can co-exist with a player like Ellis who makes Iverson look like he's John Stockton.

If it was Ellis, Udoh and Biedrins for Melo and JR Smith, then I'd do it. This would be a great way for the W's to get rid of two overpaid players in Ellis and Biedrins, at the same time, get expiring contracts back in return. I'd much rather think of Carmelo as an trade pawn than a future player. Imagine come trade deadline time and what the Warriors can ask for.

I'm not sure if anyone said that they wanted to trade Stephen Curry.

Anyway, On espn insider, someone suggested Omri Casspi, Samuel Dalembert, and Carl Landry for Carmelo Anthony. Personally, I think that trade sucks more than Jenna Jamison and that Denver would be dumb as hell if they took that trade.

Here are some packages from teams that are mentioned in the Carmelo sweepstakes based on the straight up approach that ESPN Insider have taken.

Warriors
Ellis + Udoh + Williams (reggie)
Ellis + Biedrins (won't happen, too much salary involved)
Ellis + Radmanovic + Williams
Wolves
I don't even know where to begin. They have small salaries and their best players are Michael Beasley, Johnny Flynn, Kevin Love, and Wesley Johnson.
Nets
Murphy + Humphries + Williams [(terrence) all expirers]
Murphy + Harris
Murphy + Favors (+ Williams if you wanted)
Knicks
Chandler + Gallinari + Curry
Randolph + Gallinari + Curry
Azubuike + Gallinari + Curry
Azubuike + Randolph + Curry
Randolph + Turiaf + Gallinari + Chandler + Azbuike (lol... it worked)

I think New York are the front runners on getting Carmelo depending on how much they wanna give up. Keep in mind that all teams are able to throw in a pick or two.

Site Admin
» Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 pm
Wolves
I don't even know where to begin. They have small salaries and their best players are Michael Beasley, Johnny Flynn, Kevin Love, and Wesley Johnson.
How is minny involved? I though he wanted to be closer to a big media area.

All Star
» Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm
ESPN insider says that the Rockets and Knicks are leading the sweepstakes... but im pretty sure ALL teams are inquiring about melo... Bobcats, Wolves, Clips, Warriors, and the Wiz are some of the teams mentioned

All Star
» Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm
Wolves won't get him because he won't sign an extension there. Take them off

All Star
» Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:49 pm
I don't think wolves are gonna get em either, but i think Carmelo is going to get his extension in Denver... if that's the case Melo won't even have a choice

All Star
» Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 am
then why would he do that? lol. he'd much rather not sign till t he off-season and get the lebron treatment

Site Admin
» Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 am
8th ave wrote:I don't think wolves are gonna get em either, but i think Carmelo is going to get his extension in Denver... if that's the case Melo won't even have a choice
I think your right that the Nuggets will give Melo the extension then deal him - like a sign and trade. But Melo will have a choice - if he says he wont play for a team they wont want him so by way of that he will be able to dictate what team he'll be playing for next season.

I agree with Beast about minny though - you can forget about him going there. I don't see the Knicks offering up enough - since Denver wants promising young players not disappointing 2-4 year vets. Same goes for Houston. The Nets and Clips have to be the favorites because they can offer some talent, picks, they have the cap space and are in or near appealing markets. I'd say the Warriors are in a distant 3rd or 4th - we have some intriguing players to offer up (Beans+Ellis+?) and we are in a large market but I doubt the Nuggets would want to take on any of those guys' contracts.