Warriors F'd again. West confirms he would've been here.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:09 pm
Jerry West with a prominent role in the new Golden State hierarchy will apparently remain interesting what-could-have-been, but the legendary former personnel boss of the Lakers and Grizzlies confirms he is open to returning to the front-office world.
That could have been with the Warriors if Oracle boss Larry Ellison had bought the team. West has known Ellison for years and said the two talked several months ago about His Logoness as part of a possible management team in Oakland, West confirmed publicly for the first time. It appealed to West because of the relationship with Ellison and the proximity of an hour plane ride from West’s permanent home in Los Angeles, but became moot once Joe Lacob and Peter Guber beat Ellison to the Warriors in a surprise outcome.
“I haven’t spoken to him since, but he would have been a great owner and I’m sure the people up there knowing his ability to get things done, it would have been a great thing,” West said, adding he has not spoken with Lacob or Guber. “But, obviously this other group was very, very impressive in their own right, and I’m sure that they’ll do a great job up there. That is a franchise that does have a lot of possibilities.”
He said he has not had any contact with the Lacob-Guber team that only needs rubber-stamp approval from the Board of Governors to officially take control of the Warriors. But West is also very clear: he is interested in getting back in the game, even if in a reduced role, and would definitely listen if the phone rings.
“There’s things about the NBA I miss,” he said. “I do not miss the deceptive part of it. I don’t like the negativity part of it; in all sports, we see a lot of that today. That’s the only thing I don’t like. But all I seem to know in my life is being involved in basketball, a sport I know and love and a sport that has led me to somewhere in my life I never would have dreamed.
“If there were an opportunity that I considered attractive, and obviously working with the right people would be very, very important, I could have an interest. But it wouldn’t be on a day-to-day interest. I’ve always felt it would be nice to be a working consultant. I’m not talking about somebody that just sits around and does nothing. You’re either in or you’re out.”
It’s partly semantics. One of the greatest executives in history said “I don’t want to be someone who comes in and has to deal with the day-to-day things,” yet he doesn’t want to be window dressing for an organizational flow chart either. West could, however, have a very prominent position, as prominent as, say, team president, and hire a trusted general manager to handle the daily-grind moments he wants to avoid.
“It certainly wouldn’t be about money,” West said. “It would be about my love of the game.”

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/08/16/jerry-west-is-open-for-business/
All I can say is F you Cohan

» Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:17 pm
I wouldn't rule him out of coming here though. Lacob is a "love of the game" type of dude. And Prichard is out there too. I guess we gotta wait and see what happens under these new owners.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:19 pm
How bought Prichard as a GM and West as a consultant =)

» Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:22 pm
CouldItBTheChad wrote:How bought Prichard as a GM and West as a consultant =)

[-o<

Rookie
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:44 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

[-o<

Yeah we need Prichard at GM, Larry Riley as an assistant GM and bring West in to help. Then go ge Brian Shaw at coach for next season.

All Star
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:03 pm
GSW9 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

[-o<

Yeah we need Prichard at GM, Larry Riley as an assistant GM and bring West in to help. Then go ge Brian Shaw at coach for next season.

What would Shaw bring? Anything that stands out? This franchise needs more than a standard issue retread sort of coach.

All Star
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:27 pm
f you cohan? how bout f you ellison? he was told the bid was at 450 million. he thought it was B.S. he thought wrong.
his fault.

All Star
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:54 pm
I thought Ellison put in a higher bid, but was three minutes too late.

All Star
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 pm
if it was 3 minutes then Cohan is a scumbag (not that he already isn't) ... but I thought it was hours into the deal already

Founder
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:35 pm
I'm not buying the bid was too late crap. I don't think Cohan wanted to sell to Ellison all along, and just used him to drive up the price.

» Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:56 am
Why would he care who would he sell the team to? I mean, he pretty much just wanted to get as much money as possible.

Founder
» Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:25 am
Ego. I think he probably enjoyed getting over on Larry, one of the most famous and richest guys in the world. I imagine Larry had been playing hardball with him for a couple years.

All Star
» Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:32 am
carlgo wrote:
GSW9 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

[-o<

What would Shaw bring? Anything that stands out? This franchise needs more than a standard issue retread sort of coach.

I disageree. The Warriors should take this opportunity to start fresh with a new young Coach that can relate to today's athlete.

All Star
» Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:01 pm
what makes jerry west such a cant miss front office guy? what have the grizzlies done ? i'm not disputing the fact he's won in the past, or that he'd be an instant upgrade from what we have. i'm just saying, what has he done lately?

All Star
» Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02 am
Once again, another great thread.

I have been advocating for a Jerry West type of leader (for years now) to come in and run this franchise. Even as a consultant, Jerry West could bring great value to this franchise (perhaps just to mentor a younger protege (like a Chris Mullin (exactly what Mullin sorely needed when he was here during his disastrous previous tenure while sitting in the captain's chair)).

With Lacob's previous ties to the Celtics, I cannot help but wonder if Clifford Ray would be on the short list of head coaching candidates.