Warriors F'd again. West confirms he would've been here.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:03 am
uptempo wrote:Once again, another great thread.

I have been advocating for a Jerry West type of leader (for years now) to come in and run this franchise. Even as a consultant, Jerry West could bring great value to this franchise (perhaps just to mentor a younger protege (like a Chris Mullin (exactly what Mullin sorely needed when he was here during his disastrous previous tenure while sitting in the captain's chair)).

With Lacob's previous ties to the Celtics, I cannot help but wonder if Clifford Ray would be on the short list of head coaching candidates.

Ahhh, Clifford Ray. Rick Barry's favorite pick for a head coaching job in the NBA. he is highly regarded as the best "big man" coach in the league. Even more so than Patrick Ewing. However, I would like to see the Warriors go with a younger coach who hasn't been away form the playing court that long themselves.

All Star
» Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm
The Coooach wrote:

I have been advocating for a Jerry West type of leader (for years now) to come in and run this franchise. Even as a consultant, Jerry West could bring great value to this franchise (perhaps just to mentor a younger protege (like a Chris Mullin (exactly what Mullin sorely needed when he was here during his disastrous previous tenure while sitting in the captain's chair)).

With Lacob's previous ties to the Celtics, I cannot help but wonder if Clifford Ray would be on the short list of head coaching candidates.

Ahhh, Clifford Ray. Rick Barry's favorite pick for a head coaching job in the NBA. he is highly regarded as the best "big man" coach in the league. Even more so than Patrick Ewing. However, I would like to see the Warriors go with a younger coach who hasn't been away form the playing court that long themselves.

You mean the same Patrick Ewing whose managed to teach Dwight Howard a total of 0 moves during his coaching tenure?

Rookie
» Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 am
Sounds to me like he'd still love to be here.If I remember right he got the Griz going in a positive direction when they had no history of success.I'd love to have West around.As for Nellie,I think he's an innovative coach but he doesn't emphasize D enuf and he doesn't always treat the players with respect.I think all great coaches these day lead by example.

All Star
» Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:58 am
We need one of those no-BS, get-your-butt-down-while-doing-pushups type of coaches, ya hear me?

All Star
» Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:26 am
LilBallerx30 wrote:We need one of those no-BS, get-your-butt-down-while-doing-pushups type of coaches, ya hear me?

We need R. Lee Ermey.

Hall of Famer
» Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:56 am
Beast Mode wrote:
The Coooach wrote:

You mean the same Patrick Ewing whose managed to teach Dwight Howard a total of 0 moves during his coaching tenure?

I can't believe Dwight hasn't learned many moves from Ewing. Ewing came into the nba having little moves and next to no jump shot and ended it having lots of moves and a great jump shot. Don't no whether it's Dwight that doesn't want to know them or Ewing that just isn't teaching well, but Dwight has next to no moves and looks like he doesn't want any either, getting by with his power and athleticism

All Star
» Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:36 pm
If Dwight just had one go to move ... like Shaq's drop step ... he would dominate. Maybe one day it's just gonna click but idk.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am
Beast Mode wrote:If Dwight just had one go to move ... like Shaq's drop step ... he would dominate. Maybe one day it's just gonna click but idk.

Offensively, he still has a long way to go and it is really disgraceful on his part, he has been in the nba for quite some years now. He should at least have a few post moves inside, rather than just outjumping and overpowering. He may never be anything great offensively

All Star
» Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:11 am
migya wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:If Dwight just had one go to move ... like Shaq's drop step ... he would dominate. Maybe one day it's just gonna click but idk.

Offensively, he still has a long way to go and it is really disgraceful on his part, he has been in the nba for quite some years now. He should at least have a few post moves inside, rather than just outjumping and overpowering. He may never be anything great offensively

With all that said, he's still the best center in the league. You know, he doesn't really need a go to move. all he really nees to do is get his free throw percentage up to 70 %. He needs a Yao Ming free-throw video for Christmas.

All Star
» Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:29 am
The Coooach wrote:
migya wrote:

With all that said, he's still the best center in the league. You know, he doesn't really need a go to move. all he really nees to do is get his free throw percentage up to 70 %. He needs a Yao Ming free-throw video for Christmas.

I was thinking the same. He's still killing all other centers hands down. The problem's that if, just if, he had a go-to move...we would need a new word to describe him. I still love that guy :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
» Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:30 am
LilBallerx30 wrote:
The Coooach wrote:
migya wrote:

I was thinking the same. He's still killing all other centers hands down. The problem's that if, just if, he had a go-to move...we would need a new word to describe him. I still love that guy :mrgreen:

That just means that the nba has very little decent Centers. Dwight is a disappointment offensively to me, from a fan's point of view. He should have been much better by now and be doing similar to what Shaq did in his career. Right now, Dwight is just a monster rebounder, shotblocker and slam dunker

All Star
» Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:09 am
he could be BETTER ten Shaq

All Star
» Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:57 pm
LilBallerx30 wrote:he could be BETTER ten Shaq

Taking it a little too far. Defensively, yes... but thats it. Shaq was better than Dwight NOW when he was in high school.

» Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:39 am
Agreed, Beast. Shaq had it all when he was in his prime. He was just unstoppable year in year out. I remember when Kings and Lakers had a big rivalry when my boys (Divac and Peja) played in Sac, and when only Divac could partially slow down Shaq, not stop him, just slow him down a bit. When Pollard was guarding him in those series (or most other centers in the NBA) he was dominating easily, offensively and defensively.

Rookie
» Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 am
Agreed. Dwight is good for his era, but that's about it. For me, the center positions is the position that was hurt the most by the early jumps to the NBA. Most big men don't have a need to learn post moves until they get to college because they are bigger and stronger than everybody else they will play. Now that skill development that used to happen in college is for the most part not really happening in the NBA unless you get hurt. Then you have a chance to develop others skills.