Will Monta be here for the duration of his contract?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:35 pm
I believe he has 4 years left on his deal, at roughly 40 odd million? Looked at real gm and nba.com and couldn't find anything concrete... My question is do you think that Monta will be here long term? Does he fit with Curry? I know there has been plenty of threads on this before, but I checked through 3+ pages of threads and nothing relating to Monta so I decided to make another.

My own feeling considers that he won't be here long term. He has unbelievable basketball talent but I think that he is a undersized two-guard that has a shoot first mantality. He gets alot of comparasons to A.I, which is fine, but then he never won anything significant.. Now he got to the finals, which is great, but still.. My thought is that he has value around the league, especially to a team who needs to fill seats, or a team that is really close to taking the "next step". Question is, will a team be willing to give what the Warriors what they want in return?

Hall of Famer
» Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:48 pm
I think it looks pretty obvious that Monta won't be here much longer. What the new owner said in that interview that was posted on here shows that Monta won't be staying.

I think Monta has value and would be good for a number of teams. The team has to get good value for him, as he is also young and will likely be at the level he is at for many years.

The comparison to Iverson I can understand, but Monta is not at Iverson's level, not even close to me. Iverson was awesome individually and took a pathetic 76ers team to the finals, losing to the threepeat bound Lakers. Monta has yet to help the team win and the team actually won more without him than with him

All Star
» Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:36 pm
migya wrote:I think it looks pretty obvious that Monta won't be here much longer. What the new owner said in that interview that was posted on here shows that Monta won't be staying.

I think Monta has value and would be good for a number of teams. The team has to get good value for him, as he is also young and will likely be at the level he is at for many years.

The comparison to Iverson I can understand, but Monta is not at Iverson's level, not even close to me. Iverson was awesome individually and took a pathetic 76ers team to the finals, losing to the threepeat bound Lakers. Monta has yet to help the team win and the team actually won more without him than with him

now i highly respect your opinion migya, but i wouldnt say that monta hasnt come close to iverson.. he has had a much bettter defensive team around him, playing in the east, helping him into the finals. however, you have a point that Monta has great value. I think the Warriors would be better off as a franchise to deal him for something useful, how about monta for m. gasol? now i know they'd prob want a big in return, how about monta and A.B. for marc Gasol and Mayo? after Biedrins latest quotes, that would make things really interesting... W's would have to give a few pics to make the grizz truelly consider..

Hall of Famer
» Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 pm
warchief wrote:
migya wrote:I think it looks pretty obvious that Monta won't be here much longer. What the new owner said in that interview that was posted on here shows that Monta won't be staying.

now i highly respect your opinion migya, but i wouldnt say that monta hasnt come close to iverson.. he has had a much bettter defensive team around him, playing in the east, helping him into the finals. however, you have a point that Monta has great value. I think the Warriors would be better off as a franchise to deal him for something useful, how about monta for m. gasol? now i know they'd prob want a big in return, how about monta and A.B. for marc Gasol and Mayo? after Biedrins latest quotes, that would make things really interesting... W's would have to give a few pics to make the grizz truelly consider..

I've saud that trade with the Grizz a few times over the last few months and with fillers added to make contracts work, that'd be a great trade for the team

» Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 pm
Well, that final year is a player option, so really his contract is a 3+1 (same with Beans).

And to answer your question... I don't!

Starting Lineup
» Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 pm
warchief wrote:now i highly respect your opinion migya, but i wouldnt say that monta hasnt come close to iverson.. he has had a much bettter defensive team around him, playing in the east, helping him into the finals. however, you have a point that Monta has great value. I think the Warriors would be better off as a franchise to deal him for something useful, how about monta for m. gasol? now i know they'd prob want a big in return, how about monta and A.B. for marc Gasol and Mayo? after Biedrins latest quotes, that would make things really interesting... W's would have to give a few pics to make the grizz truelly consider..

AI owns ME. AI could break any defender down and he was near-dominant. yet too ball dominating and undersized to win anything. I think the comparisons are spot on tho, ME is more like a middle-class AI. quick, jukey, undersized, ballhog / disruptive to team chemistry, tattoed, skinny, mid-range and layup skill, bloated sense of importance to the team. did I miss anything? lol

hot dam I'd do that trade with the Grizz in a freakin heartbeat! throw in Busty Wright to any Monta trtade to sweeten the deal. I'd like to see Ellis traded for Iguodula. a big, defensive, athletic finisher, who would compliment Curry pretty nicely. I don't know if 76ers would go for it.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:53 am
rockyBeli wrote:
warchief wrote:now i highly respect your opinion migya, but i wouldnt say that monta hasnt come close to iverson.. he has had a much bettter defensive team around him, playing in the east, helping him into the finals. however, you have a point that Monta has great value. I think the Warriors would be better off as a franchise to deal him for something useful, how about monta for m. gasol? now i know they'd prob want a big in return, how about monta and A.B. for marc Gasol and Mayo? after Biedrins latest quotes, that would make things really interesting... W's would have to give a few pics to make the grizz truelly consider..

AI owns ME. AI could break any defender down and he was near-dominant. yet too ball dominating and undersized to win anything. I think the comparisons are spot on tho, ME is more like a middle-class AI. quick, jukey, undersized, ballhog / disruptive to team chemistry, tattoed, skinny, mid-range and layup skill, bloated sense of importance to the team. did I miss anything? lol

Good analysis on Monta, but Iverson was a magastar. You gotta look at it, how can a guy that small score that much, while still getting alot of assists and steals, then taking a real bad roster to the playoffs quite a few years and one final. Put Kobe in Iverson's place and the 76ers would not have been as good. Put Iveron in Kobe's place, Lakers would have won the three championships, possibly four in a row.

rockyBeli wrote:hot dam I'd do that trade with the Grizz in a freakin heartbeat! throw in Busty Wright to any Monta trtade to sweeten the deal. I'd like to see Ellis traded for Iguodula. a big, defensive, athletic finisher, who would compliment Curry pretty nicely. I don't know if 76ers would go for it.

BW isn't going to be anything good, so adding him to any Monta and/or AB deal is alright.

I like Iguodala, he is very high salary, but would fit in well. He is tall, can play SG or SF, has all the skills and is a very good defender. I'd prefer the Monta and AB for Mayo, MGasol and fillers trade. Add in BW and another player from our end if needed

Role Player
» Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 am
Monta will not be a Warrior next Summer and probably not for the entire 2010-11 season. Lacob went out of his way to exclude Ellis from being part of the "3 stars" point which included Lee and Curry.

All Star
» Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:24 pm
Its obvious with all the buzz and comments from the front office that Curry will be running this team. So this puts things in perspective for Monta. People thinking a rookie can just come in and lead a team, thats not how professional sports work, with a year under his belt Curry has proved himself and will be the PG, end of stroy there.

As far as trading Monta, teams won't give up there superstars, they keep them home. Andre iguodala why would the sixers trade him ? Or Danny Granger Pacers won't do it, as for Marc Gasol from Memphis they would get rid of him and have Thabeet be the main Center I think not, or Beans with his issues I think not.

The market is not right for Monta, plus at 11 million per year, Monta is earning his salary and will continue to do so this year on a different role more of a slasher and SG.

Claiming Monta is not a winner is a mute argument, I mean Warriors had the 2nd MOST INJURIES in NBA history so last year can't be blamed on him for the losing, its obvious why warriors lost.

This team always seems to be rebuilding, and players get caught up in the wire because of it, warriors need to address getting depth at center and PF since we got rid of Turiaf and AR. That is a more glaring hole if you ask me.

All Star
» Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm
I think monta would "blow up" in the right situation. Put him on a good team, and I think he starts getting legit recognition around the league. I hate to say it, but when you play for GSW, you are not going to be on the map nationally. Put monta on LA or Boston, and everybody would be on his jock. Sad but true. Some team might recognize this, and swoop in with the right offer. But as been mentioned, the market probably isnt quite right to get the right offer.

And by the way, which interview did Lacob exclude monta? The KNBR interview? I must have missed it.

Rookie
» Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:51 pm
I would love to trade Monta for Igoudala. But would the 76ers do it? Marc Gasol is also a RFA next summer so maybe we can make an offer for him then?

Hall of Famer
» Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:17 pm
warchief wrote:I think monta would "blow up" in the right situation. Put him on a good team, and I think he starts getting legit recognition around the league. I hate to say it, but when you play for GSW, you are not going to be on the map nationally. Put monta on LA or Boston, and everybody would be on his jock. Sad but true. Some team might recognize this, and swoop in with the right offer. But as been mentioned, the market probably isnt quite right to get the right offer.

And by the way, which interview did Lacob exclude monta? The KNBR interview? I must have missed it.

I think Monta requires the ball in his hands too much to contribute to a winning team. Doesn't look like he wants to be second fiddle to anyone either, so he has to be traded to a team where he can still be the main player or close to it.

If the team can get the right trade for him, they should do it straight away

Role Player
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:36 pm
migya wrote:I think Monta requires the ball in his hands too much to contribute to a winning team. Doesn't look like he wants to be second fiddle to anyone either, so he has to be traded to a team where he can still be the main player or close to it.

If put into the right situation, I think he will. He played second fiddle to Baron Davis and he gave up a good part of his limelight to Stephen Jackson. He also deferred the ball to Maggette as well. As long as you put him next to a veteran, he'll adjust. On this team, he IS the veteran and will feel its responsibility to jack up 20+ shots a game. You move Monta to Charlotte and he and Jax could really be nice together. Maybe to a team like Portland, who drafted Jerryd Bayless to be a scoring option in the backcourt next to Roy with Roy being more of the main ball handler. Bayless hasn't exactly worked out. Ellis, Roy, Batum, Aldridge and Oden would be a lethal line up and I think Ellis would be content in letting Roy handle the ball.

What would they give up for Ellis? How about Ellis and Radmanovic for Miller, Fernandez and Pryzbilla. This gives the Warriors much needed depth to come off the bench. Then

Then send Biedrins to the Hawks for Marvin Williams and Mauric Evans. Sign a guy like Kwame Brown for cheap.

PG Curry - Miller - Lin
SG Williams - Fernandez - Bell
SF M. Williams - D. Wright - Evans
PF Lee - Wright - Udoh
C Pryzbilla - Brown - Gadzuric

» Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:38 pm
I wouldn't trade Ellis and Radmanovic for those three. Not because Radmanovic is from my country ::razz: , but because none of those three players can replace Monta when it comes to scoring, and we would have one less "star" player.

All Star
» Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm
How about Ellis and Radmanovic for Miller, Fernandez and Pryzbilla ? I wouldn't do that trade, none of those players stand out to me as far as making any type of impact here.

But I would jump on the Marvin Williams and Maurice Evans trade for Beans, only problem is Marvin Williams is more a PF, but I would still do it. Beans value cant get worst but I doubt it gets much better if a team is willing to trade for him in return for a big man do it.