David Lee Dispelling misperceptions

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 am
migya wrote:
martin wrote:azu may have a hard time fully recovering from his knee injury, he may become what is called damaged goods.
turiaf was a nice energy guy, but amudson will duplicate that. so that is really not the biggest concern,losing those two guys. only AR was a risk and the thing this deal was about.

Good point on Amundson doing what Turiaf did, but Azu hasn't been replaced to me. Again, it's the total game, the offense and the defense that Lee doesn't give and was lost in that trade

not quite right, because we got an offensive gem, so what you lost on defense (if you lost any), you gain on offense and rebounding (which is partof the defense, me thinks), plus defense of turiaf is replaced, azu is replaced by dwright at sf. i really don't think we lost anything, but the potential of anthony randolph, while aquiring proving offensive player that happens to get rebounds, that's it.
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:47 am
yuthebest wrote:Hey guy!
You say he's the worst defensive PF in the league?
Hell man I agree w/you. The man played center 90% of the time . And he played W/4 other
"black holes",(Duhon and Gaglardi(sp?)were the exceptions)who when getting a pass it never ever came back. No sir... UP IT WENT and clang it would come to Lee.Man get a freekin life those three guys you gave up wont be heard from w/Studamire and team playing. No defense... hell the knicks don't have anyone that can go both ways including the Stod man!
I don't know Golden State but I'll tell you one thing if you are not biased against a white guy w/class who can hold the spotlight in a pro basketball game you will enjoy watching the GSW playing this year. AGAIN REBOUNDING IS DEFENSIVE PLAYING AT ITS'BEST!Man you people arn't basket ball bright.IMO

vince

What does him being white have anything to do with anything? While playing good D normally equates to rebounding well, the inverse is not always true... According to your logic, most likely 90% of Basketball fans/experts/coaches/players "arn't basket ball bright" - Including yourself - "You say he's the worst defensive PF in the league? Hell man I agree w/you." You get a warning for insulting members that have been around here for years within your first 5 posts.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:56 am
Hell man I agree w/you. The man played center 90% of the time . And he played W/4 other
"black holes",(Duhon and Gaglardi(sp?)were the exceptions)who when getting a pass it never ever came back. No sir... UP IT WENT and clang it would come to Lee.Man get a freekin life those three guys you gave up wont be heard from w/Studamire and team playing. No defense... hell the knicks don't have anyone that can go both ways including the Stod man!
I don't know Golden State but I'll tell you one thing if you are not biased against a white guy w/class who can hold the spotlight in a pro basketball game you will enjoy watching the GSW playing this year. AGAIN REBOUNDING IS DEFENSIVE PLAYING AT ITS'BEST!Man you people arn't basket ball bright.IMO

vince

Agreed, Gaglardi was an exception. Seriously I have no idea what your trying to say, less caps and more grammar would aid your argument tremendously. I hope you realize Lee would sometimes give up on playing defense to go and get the rebound, you can watch footage of this if your interested. Even the most devoted Lee fans admitted he would sacrifice the play to make sure he got the rebound.

Edit: Also Duhon had to be the knicks worst player last year aside from McCurry
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:14 am
If you don't believe that a defensive rebound is not a defensive act then I don't know what to say.
Maybe we and the media ought to call it a an offensive act,except the media already uses that term.
All kidding aside, if the defensive rebound is not part of the overall defense scheme, guess what happens if your team doesn't get the defensive rebound? Your opposing team gets it and most likely scores. That imo is not being defensive.

Case closed.
In answer to the other poster about him being white, well you apparently never have listened to the Fan radio talk (call in) program 660AM in NEW YORK. Listen to call in dude named Max as an example .Hell he pisses off some blacks he's so biased.

vince
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:42 pm
We did not get ripped off in this trade at all. Like others have said we replaced Azu with a more defensive minded D. Wright. We also replaced Turiaf with Amundson who I think is a more complete defender as he can block shots, rebounds better than Turiaf, and doesn't get injured as often) . D Wright should also help assuage some of the pain of losing the oh so holy Anthony Randolph. Wright isn't a tweener, and a better SF than Randolph would ever become. Lee is also a better PF than Randolph will most likely ever become, especially since in 5 seasons Lee missed about the same amount of time Randolph has missed due to injury in 2 years. Randolph is a great specimen with his size and speed, but his head (BB IQ) and body do not compliment each other well. He doesn't have great timing on rebounding, he is not as good of a dribbler or shooter as most on this board give him credit for either. He is consistent at shot-blocking right now and that's about it (Don't know where he's gotten any reputation as a compitent perimeter defender, especially against SFs like some on his board suggest). I have nothing wrong with the trade now, like i would have last year had we given up on Randolph that fast. I think we made the right deal, as we have been gambling the PF spot on potential for about a decade and a half now. Now we have a proven PF who fits great in our system. With the PG and PF spots locked down for a while now by very good players, we can actually focus on building a winning team.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 pm
D Wright is gonna be our epic spark. Williams 6th man of year
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:01 pm
JREED23 wrote:

vince

What does him being white have anything to do with anything? While playing good D normally equates to rebounding well, the inverse is not always true... According to your logic, most likely 90% of Basketball fans/experts/coaches/players "arn't basket ball bright" - Including yourself - "You say he's the worst defensive PF in the league? Hell man I agree w/you." You get a warning for insulting members that have been around here for years within your first 5 posts.

Well said and great moderating

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:04 pm
martin wrote:
migya wrote:
martin wrote:azu may have a hard time fully recovering from his knee injury, he may become what is called damaged goods.
turiaf was a nice energy guy, but amudson will duplicate that. so that is really not the biggest concern,losing those two guys. only AR was a risk and the thing this deal was about.

Good point on Amundson doing what Turiaf did, but Azu hasn't been replaced to me. Again, it's the total game, the offense and the defense that Lee doesn't give and was lost in that trade

not quite right, because we got an offensive gem, so what you lost on defense (if you lost any), you gain on offense and rebounding (which is partof the defense, me thinks), plus defense of turiaf is replaced, azu is replaced by dwright at sf. i really don't think we lost anything, but the potential of anthony randolph, while aquiring proving offensive player that happens to get rebounds, that's it.

Did he forget that Azu was replaced the minute Reggie Williams stepped on the floor? Called it way back then. The trade proved it.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:16 pm
In addition to all of the above...,
Lee played (I think. I know he hurt his knee late in the season which cut down his playing time for about two weeks at the end of the season)in 80 games last year and had 56 double/doubles 4th in the league. In the previous year Lee played in all 82(again I think)games, w/65 DDs...either #1 or #2 in the league.

I see the Knicks lost today in Europe.
BTW:An earlier poster scoffed at the notion that Lee was playing Center at disadvantage because of his height and he mentioned only 4 CM. Well I have two comments to that post. Firstly,4 Centimeters is more than an inch and 1/2(since 25 .4 millimeters=1"). But, I dispute his assertion that there was only a 1 1/2 in difference in the guys he was guarding last year. For example, Noah in Chicago, Shaq in Cleveland,Lopez w/the Nets,O neal in Miami, Gasol or Bynum/Lakers,Mc vee or Blatche in Washington, etc Sir, these guys are well over 6'9".Most if not all are7' at least. I wish I lived in the Bay area so I could see the fan reaction once you all get to know him.
Good luck,I'm going to lurk for awhile.

vince
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:35 pm
yuthebest wrote:In addition to all of the above...,
Lee played (I think. I know he hurt his knee late in the season which cut down his playing time for about two weeks at the end of the season)in 80 games last year and had 56 double/doubles 4th in the league. In the previous year Lee played in all 82(again I think)games, w/65 DDs...either #1 or #2 in the league.

I see the Knicks lost today in Europe.
BTW:An earlier poster scoffed at the notion that Lee was playing Center at disadvantage because of his height and he mentioned only 4 CM. Well I have two comments to that post. Firstly,4 Centimeters is more than an inch and 1/2(since 25 .4 millimeters=1"). But, I dispute his assertion that there was only a 1 1/2 in difference in the guys he was guarding last year. For example, Noah in Chicago, Shaq in Cleveland,Lopez w/the Nets,O neal in Miami, Gasol or Bynum/Lakers,Mc vee or Blatche in Washington, etc Sir, these guys are well over 6'9".Most if not all are7' at least. I wish I lived in the Bay area so I could see the fan reaction once you all get to know him.
Good luck,I'm going to lurk for awhile.

vince

I thought you called someone out for being a grammar freak...
~LilBallerx~

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:36 pm
I would say hes not quick enough to play power forward. How in the world is he gonna defend Rashard Lewis and Josh Smith?
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 pm
jimbob631 wrote:I would say hes not quick enough to play power forward. How in the world is he gonna defend Rashard Lewis and Josh Smith?

Yes, lets worry about 2 frail guys in the Eastern Conference. Good job.

Rashard Lewis.... really? And did I die and miss out on Josh Smith becoming some offensive force?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 pm
The point is that there too quick for Lee to guard. I just used them as an example, there are plenty of stretch 4s in the west that Lee won't be able to guard either, and its not like Biedrinis will be able to makeup for Lee's subpar defense.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:37 pm
Maybe, maybe not. I say lets wait and see. It may be that he can hold his own on these guys. Besides with stretch 4's your mainly concerned about their shooting. If they get passed Lee then the help defense needs to come in. You don't want them consistently taking him off the dribble, in which case Coach Smart will have to sub in someone who can defend them.

But let's wait to see how it pan's out first before saying he can't do it.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011
Poster Credit: 34
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 am
In case that Lee can't defend against those more agile 4s (which I think he will be able to), I think Brandan Wright is more than suitable for that role.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball