David Lee Dispelling misperceptions

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:49 pm
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports-headl ... ck_check=1

Dispelling misperceptions

Now, Lee comes to the Warriors with another perception to disprove: that he's not a winner.

He won a Missouri state high school title at Chaminade, but his team never made it past the second round of the NCAA tournament while he was at the University of Florida, which won back-to-back national championships in the two seasons after he departed.

In five years with the Knicks, Lee never made the playoffs. That has caused Warriors fans to express doubt over whether Lee is the answer despite his gaudy statistics last season -- 20.2 points and 11.7 rebounds per game. Were those numbers the hollow product of being on a losing team?

"There have been doubters all along the way that I've proven wrong," Lee, 27, said. "This is another step. In situations like this, I know I can fall back on the fact that I outwork everybody and I continue to focus on getting better and doing things the right way.

"I haven't been given anything. It's not like I was a guy that came straight out of high school and was given a max contract and told how wonderful he was. I was the last pick of the first round. I was the 17th guy on a 15-man roster."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 am
Lee was on a bad team in New York and now his on a bad team in Oakland. He will continue to be on losing teams for a while yet it seems

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:09 pm
Why you so negative all the time lol
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:39 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Why you so negative all the time lol

Strange coming from you.

That post of mine is actually the least negative about Lee I've done. I stated the truth, Lee will not win much with this team, not yet, because the team is not that good. The guy is pretty good, but the team as a whole is not

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:56 pm
Yes I hated getting rid of AR(20yr old) that could easily average 15/9 this season, plus his defense but got no chance here, upset that we lost Turiaf and Azu (if and a big IF they stay healthy )strengths our now weak bench.

But that does not mean I should not give Lee the benefit of the doubt that he will be successful here, so when the season starts I can really understand his game better and hope he helps warriors get over some type of hump.
As it looks, he will be spending alot time at the Center position and I dont like that idea at all. We sacrificed alot for Lee so the expectations are really high for him so good luck.

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:43 pm
We ranked near the bottom of the NBA in rebounding last year. Lee averaged 10 rebounds per game.

Lee also provides energy and athleticism and if we still are gonna be up-tempo, it will be a great fit. His ability to score in the paint will alleviate some of the pressure from the perimeter players
I have two NBA teams: The Golden State Warriors and whoever faces off against the Los Angeles Lakers because I'm a 100% Warrior fan and a 100% Laker Hater

Rookie
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:54 pm
He's the best power forward that the warriors have had since I've been a fan,which is a long time.I'm very happy to have him here.I think he will work well with Curry.If he has a decent/good center then he will push us in a positive direction.If we ask too much of him then he/we may continue to lose.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:19 pm
Hi Warrior fans,
I'm new here on this board.
I've followed the knicks and David Lee for a long while and can attest to the fact that Lee will soon become the fan favorite including your current most popular Warrior. My reason is because the guy flat out will astound you fans nite after nite.I have not seen him play this year but I'll predict one thing for sure... he will come and show a new feature to his already expanding game. He rebounds w/ the best in the league including Gasol.Garnett,Boozer,Lopez,Shaq,Duncan..You name him and he will not out play Lee on the defensive boards. And he does this while giving inches in height. I also will say that he will surprise fans how quick he is on the second jump when going for a rebound layup. He now has developed a great short range jumper. This is where I think he will surprise you fans w/ his new feature "A THREE POINT SHOT" . I haven't seen it ,but ,I saw him last year trying the 3 pointer to no avail.But not to the detriment of the team.You fans are truly fortunate and will enjoy his play.
BTW:Lee can pass,score,and run and jump in addition to his unbelievable ability to position himself for rebounding.
Finally the guy is flat out CLASS both on and off the court.

We will miss him here in the East,

vince :D

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:26 pm
welcome to the board Vince (yuthebest). :D

Your insight of Lee is very appreciative. Definately looking forward to seeing this guy in action as a warrior. Once again, welcome!
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm
migya wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Why you so negative all the time lol

Strange coming from you.

That post of mine is actually the least negative about Lee I've done. I stated the truth, Lee will not win much with this team, not yet, because the team is not that good. The guy is pretty good, but the team as a whole is not

Team has a lot of young talent [whats new]... and 3 potential All-Star caliber players on offense [though probably none of them will get voted in] ... PLUS a REAL system to run now, no more small ball hope we outscore them B.S.. I think you're underrating us a bit.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 pm
This is the kind of player we all can root for. He came from a family with money. But he's all blue-collar baby. The evidence of how hard he works on the court speaks volumnes about his character. You've got this All-Star, and you've got a future All-Start Stephon Curry, whom I'm sure the P.R. department are salivating over. Not only are they superb basketball players, but they are genuine, easy-to-like, nice dudes! You get the feeling listening or watching an interview, that these guys would give you the shirt on their backs if you needed one! Not some punks who walk around like their sh*t don't stink.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:33 pm
that's actually slightly a problem. softness is good , but only to a certain extent.
actually, Lee is TOUGH on the court, not a baby at all, so...nvm
~LilBallerx~

Rookie
Poster Credit: -1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 pm
yuthebest wrote:Hi Warrior fans,
I'm new here on this board.
I've followed the knicks and David Lee for a long while and can attest to the fact that Lee will soon become the fan favorite including your current most popular Warrior. My reason is because the guy flat out will astound you fans nite after nite.I have not seen him play this year but I'll predict one thing for sure... he will come and show a new feature to his already expanding game. He rebounds w/ the best in the league including Gasol.Garnett,Boozer,Lopez,Shaq,Duncan..You name him and he will not out play Lee on the defensive boards. And he does this while giving inches in height. I also will say that he will surprise fans how quick he is on the second jump when going for a rebound layup. He now has developed a great short range jumper. This is where I think he will surprise you fans w/ his new feature "A THREE POINT SHOT" . I haven't seen it ,but ,I saw him last year trying the 3 pointer to no avail.But not to the detriment of the team.You fans are truly fortunate and will enjoy his play.
BTW:Lee can pass,score,and run and jump in addition to his unbelievable ability to position himself for rebounding.
Finally the guy is flat out CLASS both on and off the court.

We will miss him here in the East,

vince :D

Thanks for the insight on David Lee, particularly in rebounding because that is something we have struggled with consistently over the years.

How is he on defense?
I have two NBA teams: The Golden State Warriors and whoever faces off against the Los Angeles Lakers because I'm a 100% Warrior fan and a 100% Laker Hater

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am
A day late!
How is he on defense?
Let me first ask, Isn't rebounding defense? 2nd,when he gets agressive you look up and see that he gets yanked because of fouls and then the game goes o down from there. He will defend when needed, at the end in a close game when he can foul w/out being pulled. Also, the man has a terrific IQ on basketball. Al Harrington told Johnson(Knick broadcaster) last year that Lee was the smartest basketball player that he met in his 11 years in the NBA.Also,another former teamate of Lee said last year in a post game interview w/ Memphis PW Zach ERandolph said when ask about Lee's play that "he(Lee) is a White me".. And, when Lee went against Bynum and Gasol in a game against the Lakers last year near the Allstar break said that he's an Allstar.Finally I think you Warrior fans saw first hand how Lee can rev it up ...does 37 pts,..20 rebounds,...10 assists in one game bring back memories?(first time in in 25 or 30 years?)

Defense!

vince

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:18 am
A day late!
How is he on defense?
Let me first ask, Isn't rebounding defense? 2nd,when he gets agressive you look up and see that he gets yanked because of fouls and then the game goes o down from there. He will defend when needed, at the end in a close game when he can foul w/out being pulled. Also, the man has a terrific IQ on basketball. Al Harrington told Johnson(Knick broadcaster) last year that Lee was the smartest basketball player that he met in his 11 years in the NBA.Also,another former teamate of Lee said last year in a post game interview w/ Memphis PW Zach ERandolph said when ask about Lee's play that "he(Lee) is a White me".. And, when Lee went against Bynum and Gasol in a game against the Lakers last year near the Allstar break in a post game interview Kobe said that "he's an Allstar."Finally, I think you Warrior fans saw first hand how Lee can rev it up ...does 37 pts,..20 rebounds,...10 assists in one game bring back memories?(first time in in 25 or 30 years?)

Defense!

vince
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball