New Warriors Owner Discusses Don Nelson's Future...

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:06 pm
New Warriors Owner Discusses Don Nelson's Future; Not If He Leaves, But When

http://bit.ly/beXSiQ

Starting Lineup
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 pm
The question is, will we be better off without Nelson? Depends on who takes over as coach...we need to figure that out first. Not sure who would do that at the moment...? Keith Smart? I don't think so..

All Star
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:50 pm
Just finished reading, interesting quotes, the way it's sounding looks like they might can Nellie before the season starts. I know they want to do it now but the season starts soon so that's their Limbo. Biggest spotlight on the warriors now is whether Nellie moves on with the team this year, elephant in the room shall I say.

Role Player
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:14 pm
It is obvious. They are looking for a coach to develop for the future. The most logical thing to do.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 pm
Knightofoceans wrote:The question is, will we be better off without Nelson? Depends on who takes over as coach...we need to figure that out first. Not sure who would do that at the moment...? Keith Smart? I don't think so..

Better off without that fat old bastard? That's a joke right man. The team will be much better off without him and the sooner he goes the better

All Star
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 pm
sounds like they want a younger coach, that can relate to the players better

I'd still love Mark Jackson

Founder
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:37 pm
If Rowell/Riley/Nelson aren't all gone within 24 hours of the closing of the deal I will be pissed.

Site Admin
» Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:48 am
Sounds like it's going to happen, but I agree with Knight (at least for this season), I think we have enough in place right now to win some game - not a lot but more than we would with a last second coaching change. I just don't believe that this is the way to go about it, especially involving the media - If Nelly stays then he'll have one foot out the door the entire season and will likely hurt our younger players more in the long run by not playing them so he can pad is all time wins record.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:37 am
JREED23 wrote:Sounds like it's going to happen, but I agree with Knight (at least for this season), I think we have enough in place right now to win some game - not a lot but more than we would with a last second coaching change. I just don't believe that this is the way to go about it, especially involving the media - If Nelly stays then he'll have one foot out the door the entire season and will likely hurt our younger players more in the long run by not playing them so he can pad is all time wins record.

Which is what he did last season and really, the season before. As for hurting the young players, that's all that old bastard has done his entire career.

He has to go and as soon as possible, then a new coach brought in quickly so the team can adapt to him and him to the team. Organisation is what it all is and the best teams always do it and early, so for things to get better and comfortable early. That's what the new ownership has to do if they're worth anything.

The Spurs organisation has always been the one I've looked at for many years as the example of how things should be done. Not much rash, just done properly, efficiently and usually nicely

Rookie
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 am
as much as i hated don nelson last yr coz of his "i dont like to play rookie" ****... but this line up with david lee, maybe don nelson can show his small ball system. (plus warriors had too many injuries last yr)

i meant its not like we gonna win championship... so why not let him coach one more yr??

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:31 pm
facue420 wrote:as much as i hated don nelson last yr coz of his "i dont like to play rookie" ****... but this line up with david lee, maybe don nelson can show his small ball system. (plus warriors had too many injuries last yr)

i meant its not like we gonna win championship... so why not let him coach one more yr??

Firstly, the man doesn't deserve to coach anymore. Also, the franchise needs to start totally fresh and a new coach is a must as soon as possible. The old, non winning tradition has to be replaced and all that was part of it

Franchise Player
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:46 pm
migya wrote:
facue420 wrote:as much as i hated don nelson last yr coz of his "i dont like to play rookie" ****... but this line up with david lee, maybe don nelson can show his small ball system. (plus warriors had too many injuries last yr)

Firstly, the man doesn't deserve to coach anymore. Also, the franchise needs to start totally fresh and a new coach is a must as soon as possible. The old, non winning tradition has to be replaced and all that was part of it

Well i totes disagree on the non-winning tradition Migya.

We had a 12-13 year campaign of mediocracy until Don Nelson came aboard, We then went to the playoffs and beat the MAVS.
The very next year we won 48 games but still missed out on the playoffs

The thing with the Monta Moped season and last year season was we were VOODOO DOLL LUCKED OUT with injuries. If you go have a look at the record books, we broke the record for most different combinations of lineup one year & then the very next year broke that record too.

Any General Managemaent team would understand that (whether it's Pat Riley or Robert Rowell) you gotta give the coach a passmark.

But in saying that. Everyone knows Nelson won't be coaching here after this season. It's probably best to start fresh with new ownership group... But what i would love to see if Lacob or Gruber promoted Nelson to GM!!! That would be sweet.

Site Admin
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:04 pm
couple good points there Pawno. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelly coach out this season, I wouldn't be too sure he coaches after this season. As far as Nelly a GM? Well if his disdain of younger players is true, he'd probably be a poor candidate.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:15 pm
PAWNO wrote:
migya wrote:

Well i totes disagree on the non-winning tradition Migya.

We had a 12-13 year campaign of mediocracy until Don Nelson came aboard, We then went to the playoffs and beat the MAVS.
The very next year we won 48 games but still missed out on the playoffs

The thing with the Monta Moped season and last year season was we were VOODOO DOLL LUCKED OUT with injuries. If you go have a look at the record books, we broke the record for most different combinations of lineup one year & then the very next year broke that record too.

Any General Managemaent team would understand that (whether it's Pat Riley or Robert Rowell) you gotta give the coach a passmark.

But in saying that. Everyone knows Nelson won't be coaching here after this season. It's probably best to start fresh with new ownership group... But what i would love to see if Lacob or Gruber promoted Nelson to GM!!! That would be sweet.

You have reason to think that about Nelson, I do admit, as he has been the only coach with any sort of success and winning seasons here in the last twenty plus years. However, it is just a smokescreen and anyone who has watched the teams under Nelson's coaching can see that they perform to their maximum and could not be any better. His style is just proven not to be effective long term and in trying to be a contender.

The thing about Nelson that makes him a cancer and I do think that of him this time, is his selfish attitude, especially towards the young players. That makes the team/franchise not an attractive one for free agents and players in general

Franchise Player
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:22 pm
JREED23 wrote:couple good points there Pawno. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelly coach out this season, I wouldn't be too sure he coaches after this season. As far as Nelly a GM? Well if his disdain of younger players is true, he'd probably be a poor candidate.

I think the disdain of younger players is due to the fact that He's age is ticking over and the last 2 years he really wanted to chase down Lenny Wilkins legacy of most wins.

Now that could be a purely selfish reason, But anyone knows that "Vetrans give you a better chance of winning then a rookie"

Unless those Rookie/sophomore guys happen to be Stephen Curry or Monta Ellis & how i remember those 2 guys campaign was they earnt there minutes! Any of the Anthony Randolph sympathizers out there, choose to ignore the fact the kid was very inconsistant.
Whilst I don't agree that Rob Kurz should of played all those minutes ahead of Anthony Randolph, it's kind of hard to argue against the fact that Robert Kurz was very fundamental... Sure he had his weaknesses such as a bit of trouble on Defense inside, But whether it's Anthony Randolph or Rob Kurz those 2 guys were always going to play 2nd/3rd fiddle (aka role players) to the scoring production & minutes which go through Ellis,Maggette or Curry!

But Nelly as a GM! he would be responsible for talent evaluation, & by gosh i give that guy a BIG A+++ for unleashing the beast that are Azabuike, Anthony Morrow etc. Nelly is also responsible for GEMS such as Latrell Spreewell, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Monta Ellis etc... All those guys were either international players or (NON Lottery players) & considering most coaches back in the day were not really looking at international basketball then Don Nelson should be congratulated for his talent evaluation & subsequent picking up of Dirk and Steve from unknown obscurity. (hang on in regards to Steve Nash, I think Phoenix drafted him first and he traded for him.... I'd need to check that, But Nellie did unleash the beast that is Steve Nash in Dallas)