No Excuses For Randolph. Randolph Being Accountable:

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:04 pm
By: Yannis Koutroupis Last Updated: 7/27/10 5:07 PM ET | 1730 times read

Adjust font size:
Randolph Being Accountable: We all know about excuses. Everybody has one. NBA players with potential have them in abundance, especially those who don't make it. Kwame Brown, Darius Miles, and Darko Milicic can go on for hours about why they never lived up to the high expectations that were set when they first entered the league. Looking for someone else to blame though was one of their biggest problems. It's an issue that has plagued Anthony Randolph early on in his career as well.

"I was hurt," said Randolph of his time in Golden State to Jonathan Abrams of The New York Times. "I wasn't getting a lot of playing time before I was hurt. I think Nellie probably saw me doing something different than what was happening. It was a learning experience."

While there is a lot of truth in Randolph's statement, that type of mentality won't cut it in New York. The franchise is looking to get back into the playoff mix and is depending on Randolph to maximize his immense potential. Thankfully for them, he's put his time in Golden State behind him and taking responsibility for his own development.

"It's all on me right now," explained Randolph. "If I don't succeed, it's my fault. It's not on anybody else. Coach is going to give me an opportunity to show what I can do and if I don't capitalize on it, it's nobody's fault but mine.

I just turned 21. This will be my third year, so I have a lot of time to mature. I'm still growing and maturing. The sky's the limit."

The Knicks are banking on Randolph coming through with a big year alongside Amar'e Stoudemire. The two form a unique combination of size, athleticism, and explosiveness that will be tough for opposing big men to match up with. It will be Randolph's first time playing with a big man of Stoudemire's caliber and it's something he's really looking forward to.

"That's going to be great," said Randolph of playing with Amar'e. "There's a lot of highlights and stuff like that. Amar'e is a very dominant player, a great player. He's going to take a lot of attention off me. That alone is going to make me a better player."

What will also help Randolph take a big step forward in terms of development is playing under a much more player friendly coach in Mike D'Antoni than Don Nelson.

"D'Antoni allows his players to play," noted Randolph. "In Golden State, it was kind of like a situation where (Nelson) wanted me to rebound and that's it, don't do nothing else. Here, it's more God has given me the natural ability to handle the ball a little bit. You can move like a guard, you can guard guys, you're able to be put in different positions and I think I'll be allowed to do that here.

"There's some of it that's similar. Both systems you get up and down and stuff. But I think in (New York's) system you're a little more free to do the things you're good at."

One of the biggest keys for New York's success next year, along with the development of Randolph, will be team chemistry. There are a lot of new faces on the team and they'll have to come together in order to contend in the vastly improved Eastern Conference. Knowing that, Randolph has already put in some work with his new teammates.

"Everybody's on the same page," revealed Randolph. "The two guys I came in with, Amar'e and Raymond, I worked out with them a little bit in Vegas. I honestly feel like everybody that's on this team right now wants to get better, wants to work hard and win games, point blank.

I think the roster looks good. We've got a lot of good pieces. When we come in for training camp, we've just got to put it together, build a chemistry, but I think that'll be no problem. We've got a lot of god guys. I know personally, for a fact, that Ronny Turiaf and Kelenna are great people and great teammates. So that's a start right there."

With just over two months left in the offseason Randolph has plenty of more time to continue forming chemistry with teammates and working on his game, but he wishes there wasn't that much time left.

"I'm ready," stated Randolph. "I told Dan this morning after workouts I wished the season started tomorrow. I'm ready to play. I'm ready to get out there. I feel I've added some things in my game. I feel like my shot is a thousand times better. I'm just ready to get out there and show everybody all the hard work I've put in since April 15, since the last game of the season."

Brooks Likes His Guy's Chances: The Oklahoma City Thunder are well represented on Team USA this summer with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green. While Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Scott Brooks would undoubtedly prefer for his guys to rest and lower their chance of injury, he's enjoyed watching his players represent their country.

"I'm proud of our guys," said Brooks to the Sports Animal in OKC. "I like the way they're really taking this opportunity very seriously. They came in with a great mindset, great conditioning. Just speaking with them, they're excited. They're excited about the opportunity to get to represent their country."

MORE BY YANNIS KOUTROUPIS

NBA PM: Finding Chris Paul Help: The trade demands won't be gone in New Orleans for long if they don't find ...
NBA PM: Hornets Don't Believe Rumor: The New Orleans Hornets want to hear Chris Paul demand a trade himself...
NBA Chat With Yannis: Join senior NBA and NCAA analyst Yannis Koutroupis for his weekly chat!
View Yannis Koutroupis Archive
Durant has cemented his spot on this summer's world championship team and on the 2012 London Olympics squad. Green and Westbrook on the other hand have a little bit of work to do, but Coach Brooks likes their chances.
"I think Russell and jeff have a great chance," said Brooks. "I saw the last couple of days. They're right there. It's going to be a very difficult decision for the coaches and Mr. [Jerry] Colangelo to make. There's so many deserving players. Russell and Jeff are giving themselves a great opportunity to make the team."

While being fully supportive of his player's dreams, Brooks couldn't help but look ahead to training camp and admits that some changes will have to be made in light of his big three's busy summer.

"Well they're definitely going to need some time to just decompress and relax because it's going to be a very high-intensity tournament," acknowledged Brooks."It's not going to be easy to win the gold. It's going to take a lot of effort, a lot of energy, but our guys are young and they're excited to play. They're going to play basketball all year long. Kevin, I wanted him to take a couple of weeks off and he took two days off. There's going to be a little bit of time where I'll say 'OK,you guys gotta rest,' and maybe I can rest them a few days during that month of October, but it's going to be like pulling teeth to get those guys to sit out of things.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?sto ... z0uvlcNG38

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16935

Hall of Famer
» Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:42 pm
AR has lots of talent and skill,all he needed was a chance to show that and D'Antoni is the coach to give him the freedom to show it.I think AR and Amare together is such a great duoand they should be able to dominate opposing PF/C duos almost every game. Dothink Amare is more capable of being the Center and AR the PF, but have read that it'll be AR that'll be Center.

The Knicks look pretty good with their roster. Felton is decent at least, but could be a very good PG, they still have Chandler and Galinari and they now have a very good big rotation with Turiaf, AR and Amare,the players I can think of there off the top of my head, sure there is more. Azu is icing on the cake to say the least. A potentially top 4 team in the East

» Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:00 pm
The Knicks look decent. I mean, they arent contenders but they will be competitive throughout the season and probably will be going to the playoffs.

All Star
» Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:27 pm
Knicks are deep.

G Felton / Douglas
SG Chandler / Buike / Walker /
SF Galinarri / Buike / Chandler / Walker / Fields
PF Randolph - interchangeable with Amare / Turiaf
C Amare? / Turiaf

All Star
» Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:33 pm
Am going to try and keep a close eye on AR, was one of my favorite ex warrior. It was no secret the discontent between him and Nellie, he lacked the opportunity, on his part he admitted he was immature but has learned/is learning to grow. Giving the proper opportunity he will be ok, he will help New York win, mark my words future all-star in the making. I will miss that cry baby-face, see if he carries that to New York.

Role Player
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:22 pm
Unfortunately AR is history. Just another talent wasted by Warriors. No point to talk about him anymore.

All Star
» Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:56 pm
I like how he basically made excuses, and then said that he isn't making excuses

All Star
» Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:43 am
AR, AR, jeez, you are in wonderland again. You think you are going to be allowed to drift around and show off your awkward ball-handling skills?

You will find that your role will be to rebound, block shots and get the ball to guards on a fast break, just like under Nelson. Nelson gave you faaaaar more freedom than D'Antoni will.

Here Nelson took the heat for all the reasons we discuss. In NY you will take the heat if you do not do your job and the fans there will not be nice about it.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:06 am
AR is very well suited to the D'Antoni running style. He'll have to rebound and defend some, but his fastbreak ability will be used well I think

Rookie
» Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:40 pm
I readlly don't care for Randolph as much, at least i'm trying not to since he's no longer a Warrior but with him being in New York now where I live I can't really avoid him.

» Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:57 pm
GSW9 wrote:I readlly don't care for Randolph as much, at least i'm trying not to since he's no longer a Warrior but with him being in New York now where I live I can't really avoid him.

If you don't mind I ask, what got you being a Warriors fan when you live all the way in New York?

Site Admin
» Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:05 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
GSW9 wrote:I readlly don't care for Randolph as much, at least i'm trying not to since he's no longer a Warrior but with him being in New York now where I live I can't really avoid him.

If you don't mind I ask, what got you being a Warriors fan when you live all the way in New York?

Warriors > Knicks, it's that simple :wink:

Rookie
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:56 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Its a funny story lol. Back in 2002 when the Warriors had Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison ect I used to play my cousin in NBA Live 2003. He would always use the Lakers and blow me out everytime we played and it would make me so mad. So one game I decided to use the Warriors and I finally beat him. I don't know why but he didn't have an answer to Golden State. So right then in there I stared liking the Warriors because that was the only team I could beat my cousin with and eventually I started to learn more and more about them until now where I'm a big fan. I also liked how nobody in my family or friends knew too much about them so it felt like it was my own team. As I followed the Warriors and learned more about the different players, history and ownership and losing, this team just stuck with me. I find myself liking underdogs as well so We Believe was awsome! Thats when I started actually loving this team no matter what. Still only use GSW in viedo games now too lol

Site Admin
» Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:44 pm
GSW9 wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Its a funny story lol. Back in 2002 when the Warriors had Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson, Antawn Jamison ect I used to play my cousin in NBA Live 2003. He would always use the Lakers and blow me out everytime we played and it would make me so mad. So one game I decided to use the Warriors and I finally beat him. I don't know why but he didn't have an answer to Golden State. So right then in there I stared liking the Warriors because that was the only team I could beat my cousin with and eventually I started to learn more and more about them until now where I'm a big fan. I also liked how nobody in my family or friends knew too much about them so it felt like it was my own team. As I followed the Warriors and learned more about the different players, history and ownership and losing, this team just stuck with me. I find myself liking underdogs as well so We Believe was awsome! Thats when I started actually loving this team no matter what. Still only use GSW in viedo games now too lol

Did a lot of pulling up from behind the arc? Or just driving at will?

Rookie
» Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:37 pm
A mixture of both. As I've gotten older I've learned how to play alot better and learned the game in and out but back then I remember I loved dunking with Jason Richardson and shooting 3's with Arenas. Run and Gun style lol