How good can Stephen Curry become?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:34 pm
There is just no way Curry averages 10 APG this season. Sorry but it's not gonna happen. Anything above 8.0 APG from Curry would be impressive in my book.

All Star
» Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:06 pm
he's more than capable of getting 10 assist and 20 points in this system

Franchise Player
» Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:14 pm
8th ave wrote:he's more than capable of getting 10 assist and 20 points in this system

Yeah DON NELSON "Run & Gun" Don't get back and play D, Just push the Fastbreak system!

If anything you change the head coach & bring in a more Defense Orientated Coach and play that Half Court set then you'd see Curry stats drop back to the 16ppg 7apg average.

All Star
» Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:34 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:There is just no way Curry averages 10 APG this season. Sorry but it's not gonna happen. Anything above 8.0 APG from Curry would be impressive in my book.

Agreed. 8 apg is reasonable and a significant mark to reach.

10 apg requires nearly everything in the offense to go through him. In Nelson's offense that is not always the case. Monta will have the ball, Lee might have the ball, and whoever is playing SF might have the ball. I think Steph has 10 apg in him somewhere down the road though.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:44 pm
I just want stable play,which won't happen, and improvement by Curry and the team. Assists is a good indicator of a good PG, but defense is a great trait as well and he needs to improve that

Rookie
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 pm
How do you guys think Curry looked out there yesterday? Did he look smaller or was it just me?

All Star
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:44 pm
Is Curry actually a point guard? I really cannot say that, myself. I see him as a complete basketball player and the best player taken in his draft class.

I would love to see Curry moving off of screens and being set up for his own shot like a Rip Hamilton or a Ray Allen instead of him initiating action with the ball. Barring any more trades, Monta is more than capable of handling the PG duties, and may even be better than Curry at breaking down his man off of the dribble, getting into the paint, drawing a big man on a double and dishing the ball off to a slashing and open big man for an assist.

Back to the question, "How good can Stephen Curry become?" He can become as good as a Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen (which would be awesome). He can become as good as a Maurice Cheeks, too.

We Warrior fans are very fortunate that Curry is on this roster.

Let's just hope that new ownership upgrades the front office and that this new front office brings in a better coach and stronger roster.

All Star
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:46 pm
uptempo wrote:
Is Curry actually a point guard? I really cannot say that, myself. I see him as a complete basketball player and the best player taken in his draft class.

I would love to see Curry moving off of screens and being set up for his own shot like a Rip Hamilton or a Ray Allen instead of him initiating action with the ball. Barring any more trades, Monta is more than capable of handling the PG duties, and may even be better than Curry at breaking down his man off of the dribble, getting into the paint, drawing a big man on a double and dishing the ball off to a slashing and open big man for an assist.

Sorry but there really is no way to respond to this. If you honestly think this ... damn ...

Rookie
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:56 pm
Beast Mode wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Sorry but there really is no way to respond to this. If you honestly think this ... damn ...

Yeah there is no question Curry's a point guard. He proved that during the season. For team USA he will probably play more off the ball because of his shooting but he's a point guard.

All Star
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:01 pm
GSW9 wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Yeah there is no question Curry's a point guard. He proved that during the season. For team USA he will probably play more off the ball because of his shooting but he's a point guard.

Exactly. Don't knock his point guard skills just because he shoots better than most 2guards

» Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:08 pm
Beast Mode wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Curry was better as a point guard (during his rookie season) than any time in Monta's career. You gotta be kidding me up tempo.

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:35 pm
Monta could actually be a good point guard. But there's a reason Nelson soured from the idea.

He's a streaky shooter who forces his shots & he turns the ball over way too much.

I think he's got great vision. But there's no other better option then Stephen Curry on this team to be our floor general.

All Star
» Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:42 pm
Its been established that Curry is the PG, Riley had mentioned it, now the coach needs to establish that so they don't have dual share of the position.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 am
dareedle wrote:Stephen Curry is ok .... I see him like the next D-Will (a college star that was not a true point guard) but had the skill set to make the transition. I think Brandon Jennings is a better point guard (but mentally Stephen Curry like David Lee is a true NBA pro without the fricking drama (LJ, CP3, BD, T-Mac, Boozer). The problem is with the contracts ... on a rookie contract he is a steal compared to CP3 ... if he becomes a max contract point guard .... then people expect really good playoff performance which Brandon Jennings has already delivered as a rookie. Franchise PG Nash does not make a max contract ... more money to BD never made him a better player ... so if Curry can get a reasonable contract and take us past the 1st round of the playoffs, he should be a top 5 PG. On the other hand, if he gets max money and never gets us to the playoffs he would join an elite group of max contract busts (T-Mac, Iggy, Arenas, EBrand (2nd time), CP3 (regarding his latest contract ... not his skill level), AKA, Al Houston, Strawberry, E Curry .... and since I like to kick a lying dog Mo Williams).

Don't forget B. Jennings shot like 37% last year. Curry is WAY ahead of him even as a point guard at this point in my book

Rookie
» Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:32 pm
I have seen questions and answers regarding if he can be 20/10.

If the real question is can he be a leader of a TOP team, the answer lies in the defensive side of his game. (unless he is teamed with great defenders which he currently is not). The reason I say this is it's obvious he has GREAT talent on the offensive end. Defenses will not be able to sag on him, so he will be able to penetrate, run screen and rolls etc with much greater ease. He has great instincts for passing. I am not going to compare him to anyone as no-one else has exactly the same packgage of skills he does. He does however have enough to lead a team very very well on the offensive end.

Now that's 1/2 the game covered. What about the defense?