Not nelsons fault no playoffs for GS last 2 years

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Banned
Posts: 74
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:42 pm
There is not an nba coach in the history of the game that could have got the warriors in the playoffs the last 2 years. Once the warriors didnt resign baron davis the warriors fell off harder than obama's popularity the last 6 months. Why the constant insults and trash talk vs nelson is uncalled for. The warriors had awful teams, If you bring in one of these defensive minded clone coaches there is no difference and the games are drop dead boring like the rest of the league minus a few teams. So stop all the negative threads and posts about nelson. respect tha gawd
Last edited by auriflama on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:43 pm
auriflama wrote:There is not an nba coach in the history of the game that could have got the warriors in the playoffs the last 2 years. Once the warriors didnt resign baron davis the warriors fell off harder than obama's popularity the last 6 months. Why the constant insults and trash talk vs nelson is uncalled for. The warriors had awful teams, If you bring in one of these defensive minded clones there is no difference. So stop all the negative threads and posts about nelson. respect tha gawd


Go Back to Maui DON!!!!!!!!!

Banned
Posts: 74
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:44 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
auriflama wrote:There is not an nba coach in the history of the game that could have got the warriors in the playoffs the last 2 years. Once the warriors didnt resign baron davis the warriors fell off harder than obama's popularity the last 6 months. Why the constant insults and trash talk vs nelson is uncalled for. The warriors had awful teams, If you bring in one of these defensive minded clones there is no difference. So stop all the negative threads and posts about nelson. respect tha gawd


Go Back to Maui DON!!!!!!!!!


negative response
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2562
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 pm
Someone lock this thread. Noone ever blamed it 100 % on Nelson. But the lack of defensive teaching, a consistent lineup or offensive game-plan [other than Curry work magic] sure in the hell didn't help.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:32 pm
Nelson, himself, set in motion a team culture of selfishness when he had extorted more money out of the team (where he became one of the highest paid coaches in the league) after his first season coaching this team during the Nelson II era.

Nelson, undermined not only team morale; he also undermined Mullin, the man who brought Nelson to this team out of exile. Yes, Mullin had hired Nelson as a desperate move; however, Nelson, showed no loyalty to a former player who had given him another chance and a job to be on the sidelines.

While Nelson should get credit for pushing the organization to trade away Dunleavy and Murphy for Harrington and Jackson, as well as coaching the team into the second round of the playoffs in his first season, Nelson should also be held responsible for not emphasizing defense, rebounding, and protecting possessions as well as for not developing his big men (Randolph, Biedrens, Ronnie T).

Even with his own hand-picked GM, Riley, Nelson has yet to develop a lineup which isn't physically overmatched. How can anyone argue that Nelson's small ball lineups would be more effective than developing Randolph and Biedrens? Also, how can anyone argue that Harrington was being utilized properly while under Nelson's tutelage? Harrington would come into camp in amazing shape and eager to play on the block, and Nelson would force Harrington to stand around the three point arc while on offense. That makes no sense at all!

Nelson was also greatly responsible for the Stephen Jackson implosion. Jackson, perhaps the best defensive player on the Warrior roster while he was with the team, was put into the position where it was encouraged for him to jack up as many shots as he could put up as well as break down his individual opponent off the dribble in Nelson's half-court offense.

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Biedrens ever develop an offensive game?

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Randolph show any signs of improving?

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Ellis ever develop into a player who could run his defensive opponent off of screens so that he could get an open half-court shot (like a Rip Hamilton or a Ray Allen)?

I will say that the organization has to take responsibility for not making the playoffs over the past two years; however, a big part of that responsibility rests solely upon the shoulders of Nelson. He destroyed the franchise during his first tenure here, and he is greatly responsible for the mess that the franchise currently finds itself in.

The new ownership needs to get rid of this guy as soon as possible.
Last edited by uptempo on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 392
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:38 pm
F Don Nelson.

The new regime can't fire him quick enough.

Rookie
Posts: 42
» Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:58 pm
uptempo wrote:Nelson, himself, set in motion a team culture of selfishness when he had extorted more money out of the team (where he became one of the highest paid coaches in the league) after his first season coaching this team during the Nelson II era.

Nelson, undermined not only team morale; he also undermined Mullin, the man who brought Nelson to this team out of exile. Yes, Mullin had hired Nelson as a desperate move; however, Nelson, showed no loyalty to a former player who had given him another chance and a job to be on the sidelines.

While Nelson should get credit for pushing the organization to trade away Dunleavy and Murphy for Harrington and Jackson, as well as coaching the team into the second round of the playoffs in his first season, Nelson should also be held responsible for not emphasizing defense, rebounding, and protecting possessions as well as for not developing his big men (Randolph, Biedrens, Ronnie T).

Even with his own hand-picked GM, Riley, Nelson has yet to develop a lineup which isn't physically overmatched. How can anyone argue that Nelson's small ball lineups would be more effective than developing Randolph and Biedrens? Also, how can anyone argue that Harrington was being utilized properly while under Nelson's tutelage? Harrington would come into camp in amazing shape and eager to play on the block, and Nelson would force Harrington to stand around the three point arc while on offense. That makes no sense at all!

Nelson was also greatly responsible for the Stephen Jackson implosion. Jackson, perhaps the best defensive player on the Warrior roster while he was with the team, was put into the position where it was encouraged for him to jack up as many shots as he could put up as well as break down his individual opponent off the dribble in Nelson's half-court offense.

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Biedrens ever develop an offensive game?

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Randolph show any signs of improving?

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Ellis ever develop into a player who could run his defensive opponent off of screens so that he could get an open half-court shot (like a Rip Hamilton or a Ray Allen)?

I will say that the organization has to take responsibility for not making the playoffs over the past two years; however, a big part of that responsibility rests solely upon the shoulders of Nelson. He destroyed the franchise during his first tenure here, and he is greatly responsible for the mess that the franchise currently finds itself in.

The new ownership needs to get rid of this guy as soon as possible.


Good post! Well thought out. Nellie isn't completely to blame, but he does hold a majority of the responsibility. The only goal of a coach is to win no matter what the circumstance. He ain't winning which means there should be a change.

Banned
Posts: 74
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:42 am
Beast Mode wrote:Someone lock this thread. Noone ever blamed it 100 % on Nelson. But the lack of defensive teaching, a consistent lineup or offensive game-plan [other than Curry work magic] sure in the hell didn't help.


Lock your threads and lock your posts and lock the avatar pleaseeeeeeeeee. This thread was not that 100 blame it was no one could have got the warriors into the playoffs. How can there be a consistant lineup with so many injuries? Teaching defense? Are you in warriors practices? Sure didnt help? help what? it was a terrible team that would have never made the playoffs if the game was slowed down to a slow motion halt and the warriors used every foul they had every game. It was not gonna happen understand.

Banned
Posts: 74
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:50 am
uptempo wrote:Nelson, himself, set in motion a team culture of selfishness when he had extorted more money out of the team (where he became one of the highest paid coaches in the league) after his first season coaching this team during the Nelson II era.

Nelson, undermined not only team morale; he also undermined Mullin, the man who brought Nelson to this team out of exile. Yes, Mullin had hired Nelson as a desperate move; however, Nelson, showed no loyalty to a former player who had given him another chance and a job to be on the sidelines.

While Nelson should get credit for pushing the organization to trade away Dunleavy and Murphy for Harrington and Jackson, as well as coaching the team into the second round of the playoffs in his first season, Nelson should also be held responsible for not emphasizing defense, rebounding, and protecting possessions as well as for not developing his big men (Randolph, Biedrens, Ronnie T).

Even with his own hand-picked GM, Riley, Nelson has yet to develop a lineup which isn't physically overmatched. How can anyone argue that Nelson's small ball lineups would be more effective than developing Randolph and Biedrens? Also, how can anyone argue that Harrington was being utilized properly while under Nelson's tutelage? Harrington would come into camp in amazing shape and eager to play on the block, and Nelson would force Harrington to stand around the three point arc while on offense. That makes no sense at all!

Nelson was also greatly responsible for the Stephen Jackson implosion. Jackson, perhaps the best defensive player on the Warrior roster while he was with the team, was put into the position where it was encouraged for him to jack up as many shots as he could put up as well as break down his individual opponent off the dribble in Nelson's half-court offense.

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Biedrens ever develop an offensive game?

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Randolph show any signs of improving?

Under Nelson's tutelage, did Ellis ever develop into a player who could run his defensive opponent off of screens so that he could get an open half-court shot (like a Rip Hamilton or a Ray Allen)?

I will say that the organization has to take responsibility for not making the playoffs over the past two years; however, a big part of that responsibility rests solely upon the shoulders of Nelson. He destroyed the franchise during his first tenure here, and he is greatly responsible for the mess that the franchise currently finds itself in.

The new ownership needs to get rid of this guy as soon as possible.


Go hijack another thread with this nelson hate-fest. your response has ZERO to with this topic. I think you read another thread and posted about that.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 am
If people can't post a negative opinion on nelson, it's going to be awfully lonely in here. I'm sure u and martin will really click though
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5907
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:04 am
Nelson gets a hard time because he has a association with Chris Cohan.

I think when he first arrived here, he had a very good team. But when Baron put one foot out the door and the domino effect of signing Magette, Trading SJax, All those injuries... yada yada ya!!! Well a good coach legacy has been dogged by a Stingy fricking owner.

I hope this new ownership gives him the final year on his contract. Works with him to at least start building towards something. & finds a succession coach during the season.

People will talk about Don Nelson alienating his rookies, But me personally like so many others... Don't automatically give the youngstas a fair go until they've earned it. (& especially in this day and age where a coach who doesn't produce results will 9 out of 10 times go with the vetran as opposed to the youngsta cause Vetrans win you games, Whilst a Rookie needs to show his making baby steps from Project to Role Player to Starting 5 to Go2 Guy)

People hate on him for playing Rob Kurz over Anthony Randolph a few years back & maybe he could of handled that a lot way better... But i can kind of understand why he went with Rob Kurz over Randolph... Randolph=RAW . Rob Kurz=Fundamental (in some aspects)
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:35 am
PAWNO wrote:Nelson gets a hard time because he has a association with Chris Cohan.


Nelson gets a hard time because we've had a worst team each year he's been here. If we had had a winning teams, nobody would be saying anything (or, at least, not that much):
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 7481
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:42 am
Man I am finding it VERY difficult not posting a rant in this thread.........................
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:47 am
Hmmmm Auriflama should probably be banned for being an idiot. Anyway, nobody said that the uptempo offense is the reason Nellie sucks ass, its the no defense, not giving a **** attitude he has had as well as his poor lineup decisions. He's old, and he's done... that's about it.

All Star
Posts: 1218
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 am
Nelson gets a pass for last year. He actually coached very well. The Ws stayed with even the best teams for the most part and even beat them occasionally.

But, that is the Nelson pattern. He probably is the best coach in the game in knowledge and ability, having presence and knowing pretty much everything. But, unfortunately what we have gotten most often is his evil twin Nellie the Crazy (and not in a good way).

Nelson knows all about defense, don't let him fool you. He knows all about half-court offenses, and rebounding too. He simply has chosen to coach in his way. In the past I have compared him to Al Davis. Both want to win, of course, but in their signature way for their own edification.

Obviously if the owners have identified their coach for the future, then they need to act and install him now before he gets away, but if they are unsure and they need more time, then I could see them letting Nelson start out the year, perhaps his last year, on a short leash. It would be interesting to see if Nelson would bear down and coach like he can to establish a rational legacy and even stay in coaching.

I do predict that he won't be hanging around team headquarters working for free as he once promised...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests