Not nelsons fault no playoffs for GS last 2 years

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:13 pm
Called this lock on the 2nd reply lol ... you can no longer discuss Nelson without debates getting heated. It's like discussing politics.

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:15 pm
xbay wrote:I take it back... I will re-open this thread. But please get it back on topic. Debate, argue about Nelson. Another insult, any name calling... it will be locked.

Xbay, it appears that only one person on this thread is engaging in insults; the rest of us are debating the merits of Nelson's coaching capabilities.

Franchise Player
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:20 pm
uptempo wrote:
xbay wrote:I take it back... I will re-open this thread. But please get it back on topic. Debate, argue about Nelson. Another insult, any name calling... it will be locked.

Xbay, it appears that only one person on this thread is engaging in insults; the rest of us are debating the merits of Nelson's coaching capabilities.

You and I could both agree that debating the merits of Nelson's coaching capabilities is as close of an insult one can view. :wink:

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:25 pm
Not true guys, I insulted him as well, calling him an idiot amongst other things. For that I apologize, unless it was me uptempo was talking about , then I'd be embarrassed :).

On topic, my point still stands, he alienated players to gain leverage to get a higher salary and a couple more years. Guys start leaving and he bails on the guys he has, while burning them out. how is he not a huge factor in the downturn of the warriors after two decent seasons?

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:14 pm
The head coach always takes the majority of the blame (see Mike Brown) I don't see how Nelson will have any motiovation this year other than getting his massive pay check. It was bush of him to quit coaching and turning over the team to smart and young Silas.

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:55 pm
bigstrads wrote:
carlgo wrote:He probably is the best coach in the game in knowledge and ability, having presence and knowing pretty much everything.

Arrggghhh!!!................cant.................hold................back...............from..............ripping.............you...............
kool..............aid...............drinking...............Nelson..............jizm................swallowing.................blind..............ass
crazies!!!

Phew..............almost burst the vein that is pulsing over my forehead right now.

Pretty dramatic, perhaps a grab for attention?

You don't think Nelson is smart and clever? After all of his years in the league and a million press conferences?

His is indeed very smart and very knowledgeable.

Read again. Let's.............make...........it..............simple: Nelson......is......smart.......and..... capable........., ........but........ coaches.......strangely. Any.......confusion........or.........doubt.........about.......that?

The world is full of smart and capable people who use their talents in very odd and unproductive ways. Nelson is one of them. You don't agree? Of course you do. No need to turn that conversation to something kind of perverse.

And, as for the references to kool-aide, and worse, you know that I was one of the very first on this forum, years and years ago, who railed on and on about Nelson, almost continuously. Many have tuned me out for that. It has been gratifying to see the gradual shift of sentiment over the years to a more rational assessment of Nelson as a coach.

And I have tried to be rational, rather than, uh, the opposite of that.

I do not believe he is the anti-Christ or anything, just a very capable guy who just hasn't coached up to his potential. In this way, I admire him more than the clone-coaches whose every move is based on not doing anything differently because they do not have the talent or imagination or guts to do anything else than what every NBA coach does.

As I state fairly often, most coaches play the standard game because they want to deflect blame onto the players, and not have their style of coaching be the issue.

Let me list the things I have written about extensively:
1. His drinking and early history with players and even their wives, trying to start fights in practice. I believe I was the first to mention this here.
2. Mind games. Too numerous to list here.
3. Manipulations. Machiavelli would be shocked.
4. Sabotage. I was the first to mention this as a possibility. Later, a national writer used that term and in the same way.
5. Not playing young bigs, the "not ready to play" schtick he used, even after a great game.
6. In the same way, not developing the bigs.
7. Not playing more than one big at a time, supposedly to speed things up, but having absolutely the opposite effect.
8. Not rebounding, as above.
9. No defense, again largely due to the lack of inside size (more telling than the mythical ability to stop NBA point guards).
10. Players playing out of position, usually twos at the three spot, threes at the four (and even the five, infamously).
11. Playing players into fatigue, game after game (even when there were plenty of capable subs).
12. S. Jackson.
13. No half-court offense for the times it is needed.
14. Letting Jackson, AR, Ellis bring the ball up slowly to ensure they would have to go into the half-court which the team sucked at.
15. Handing off coaching duties to assistants who were not actually in a position to do anything.
16. Jerking Ellis around with the point guard expectations.
17. Jumping up and looking animated when the camera pans over to him. He sure sees that red light acoming.
18. Not defending AB, in particular, for getting all those air fouls. He should go ballistic and get kicked out. The problem would be solved now. Refs get into bad habits like everyone else and need to feel the heat on occasion.

He does all this because he has decided to, not because he is stupid or ignorant. That is the point.

And, since David of Texas (Donny I think), has left, nobody here has really defended Nelson that much, just one or two guys. So, no need to try to pull a Fox News and put anyone who isn't rabidly on your side into a position of ridicule and contempt.

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 pm
carlgo wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
carlgo wrote:He probably is the best coach in the game in knowledge and ability, having presence and knowing pretty much everything.

Arrggghhh!!!................cant.................hold................back...............from..............ripping.............you...............
kool..............aid...............drinking...............Nelson..............jizm................swallowing.................blind..............ass
crazies!!!

Phew..............almost burst the vein that is pulsing over my forehead right now.

Pretty dramatic, perhaps a grab for attention?

You don't think Nelson is smart and clever? After all of his years in the league and a million press conferences?

His is indeed very smart and very knowledgeable.

Read again. Let's.............make...........it..............simple: Nelson......is......smart.......and..... capable........., ........but........ coaches.......strangely. Any.......confusion........or.........doubt.........about.......that?

The world is full of smart and capable people who use their talents in very odd and unproductive ways. Nelson is one of them. You don't agree? Of course you do. No need to turn that conversation to something kind of perverse.

And, as for the references to kool-aide, and worse, you know that I was one of the very first on this forum, years and years ago, who railed on and on about Nelson, almost continuously. Many have tuned me out for that. It has been gratifying to see the gradual shift of sentiment over the years to a more rational assessment of Nelson as a coach.

And I have tried to be rational, rather than, uh, the opposite of that.

I do not believe he is the anti-Christ or anything, just a very capable guy who just hasn't coached up to his potential. In this way, I admire him more than the clone-coaches whose every move is based on not doing anything differently because they do not have the talent or imagination or guts to do anything else than what every NBA coach does.

As I state fairly often, most coaches play the standard game because they want to deflect blame onto the players, and not have their style of coaching be the issue.

Let me list the things I have written about extensively:
1. His drinking and early history with players and even their wives, trying to start fights in practice. I believe I was the first to mention this here.
2. Mind games. Too numerous to list here.
3. Manipulations. Machiavelli would be shocked.
4. Sabotage. I was the first to mention this as a possibility. Later, a national writer used that term and in the same way.
5. Not playing young bigs, the "not ready to play" schtick he used, even after a great game.
6. In the same way, not developing the bigs.
7. Not playing more than one big at a time, supposedly to speed things up, but having absolutely the opposite effect.
8. Not rebounding, as above.
9. No defense, again largely due to the lack of inside size (more telling than the mythical ability to stop NBA point guards).
10. Players playing out of position, usually twos at the three spot, threes at the four (and even the five, infamously).
11. Playing players into fatigue, game after game (even when there were plenty of capable subs).
12. S. Jackson.
13. No half-court offense for the times it is needed.
14. Letting Jackson, AR, Ellis bring the ball up slowly to ensure they would have to go into the half-court which the team sucked at.
15. Handing off coaching duties to assistants who were not actually in a position to do anything.
16. Jerking Ellis around with the point guard expectations.
17. Jumping up and looking animated when the camera pans over to him. He sure sees that red light acoming.
18. Not defending AB, in particular, for getting all those air fouls. He should go ballistic and get kicked out. The problem would be solved now. Refs get into bad habits like everyone else and need to feel the heat on occasion.

He does all this because he has decided to, not because he is stupid or ignorant. That is the point.

And, since David of Texas (Donny I think), has left, nobody here has really defended Nelson that much, just one or two guys. So, no need to try to pull a Fox News and put anyone who isn't rabidly on your side into a position of ridicule and contempt.

Nice. ((no sarcasm) seriously)

Banned
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm
the haters their worse than the devil.

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:44 pm
auriflama wrote:the haters their worse than the devil.

The idiots who get dominated with logic. Hows it feel?

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 pm

calm down thug life, people are voicing their opinions.. don't be hurt when people counter your arguments.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 am
auriflama wrote:There is not an nba coach in the history of the game that could have got the warriors in the playoffs the last 2 years. Once the warriors didnt resign baron davis the warriors fell off harder than obama's popularity the last 6 months. Why the constant insults and trash talk vs nelson is uncalled for. The warriors had awful teams, If you bring in one of these defensive minded clone coaches there is no difference and the games are drop dead boring like the rest of the league minus a few teams. So stop all the negative threads and posts about nelson. respect tha gawd

I actually agree with you that the talent level of this team wasn't playoff talent no matter who the coach was. but what's ironic about your post is that Nelson is partly to blame for why Baron wasn't resigned. Mullin had a deal in place with Baron but it was undermined by Rowell & backstabbin' Nellie.

simply put: Nelson has too many cons compared to the pros he brings. he is a decent coach but the amount of toxin, dysfunction, and odd basketball he brings a team is overwhelming. I actually think Nelson would best be served as a SCOUT cuz he has an eye for talent (D-leaguers and some draft picks), but I don't want him anywhere near this basketball club post-Cohan because of his history of destruction. we'll know alot about the new owners' intentions based on upcoming decisions to clean house or not.

Banned
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:46 am
Beast Mode wrote:

Dude you have a obama picture in your avatar. You will be forever known as an idiot for that.

Banned
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:48 am
RobDIKUM wrote:

calm down thug life, people are voicing their opinions.. don't be hurt when people counter your arguments.

There is no thug here or thug life or thugging, I dont play that nonsense ok nerd. None of that bullcrap ok baseball lover. It is usually is these baseball loving clowns who know jackstaff about basketball always trying to play expert.

All Star
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:49 am
auriflama wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:

Dude you have a obama picture in your avatar. You will be forever known as an idiot for that.

Banned
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 am
auriflama wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:

Its not logic its just bitter hatred from a simple minded fool. If people like you are the top of line of knowledgable fans then that is the lower level. I have more knowledge of the game up to now that you will never in a whole lifetime.