New GM/Coach Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:53 pm
Don't be surprised if we see Nelson lobbying for the front office job...and actually getting it.

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 pm
uptempo wrote:Don't be surprised if we see Nelson lobbying for the front office job...and actually getting it.

I was thinking that same thing....but I just didnt want to put it into words. I could see him working some sort of deal so that he gets paid and heads upstairs rather than coaching this season. The biggest problem that would arise from that though, would probably be that he would find a way to weasel an extension out of the deal.

All Star
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:06 pm
I dunno, I don't think these owners are that stupid. That sounds like something Nellie would be able to do with Rowell in charge, but these owners want to clean house and bring their own guys in, from the sound of things.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 pm
E-Man wrote:I I'd also like Jerry West... Didn't really think about him until about a week ago, but dude can put together a team.

...and then trade the best players to the Lakers for chump change. :)

Starting Lineup
» Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:43 pm
If they hire Dungleavy as GM I may be tempted to turn in my Warrior card after 27 years...

Role Player
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:32 am
I would like to see Mullin as GM and Skiles as coach.

Banned
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:56 am
TRON wrote:I would like to see Mullin as GM and Skiles as coach.

yea skiles then we can see 83 to 80 games every night

Role Player
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 am
Skiles is a defencive oriented coach. The kind of coach you need to get a ring. He work's well with young player's and you have a lot of them. He is relatively young and ambitious. He knows how to get 100% from his players.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:55 am
Keith Smart is my man for a lot of reasons.

1. I am just tired of Nellie.
2. He will get us moving up and down with a traditional line-up (assuming people are healthy)
3. Lineup is more balanced (instead of "We Believe" roster ..loaded with talented swingmen ... or the Rowell roster (loaded with 2 guards))
4. Assuming the purchase takes 60 days ... I wouldn't want a new coach with a different philosophy taking over (I like the Gentry move in Phoenix) ... same system but different coach will pick a different implementation and rotation
5. The ownership only has a 60 day window to show leadership and accountability ... well Rowell did make the Warriors the highest selling franchise, extremely profitable despite making the playoffs once in 15 years .... yippie

All Star
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:49 am
dareedle wrote:Keith Smart is my man for a lot of reasons.

1. I am just tired of Nellie.
2. He will get us moving up and down with a traditional line-up (assuming people are healthy)
3. Lineup is more balanced (instead of "We Believe" roster ..loaded with talented swingmen ... or the Rowell roster (loaded with 2 guards))
4. Assuming the purchase takes 60 days ... I wouldn't want a new coach with a different philosophy taking over (I like the Gentry move in Phoenix) ... same system but different coach will pick a different implementation and rotation
5. The ownership only has a 60 day window to show leadership and accountability ... well Rowell did make the Warriors the highest selling franchise, extremely profitable despite making the playoffs once in 15 years .... yippie

If you are tired of Nellie, why would you have Smart as your #1 choice? Who has Smart ever coached under, other than Nellie?

Rookie
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:09 am
I'd rather keep Riley over Mullin...

All Star
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:48 am
luckyace wrote:I'd rather keep Riley over Mullin...

Image lol

Rookie
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:31 pm
What did Mullin do the first go around that impressed you? His stellar draft picks? Stellar signings? Perhaps his unquestioned 'presence' and 'charisma' which gave him a firm grasp on the franchise?

Starting Lineup
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:40 pm
Riley vs Mullin

1. Riley is a veteran NBA scout ... and probably more has more political acumen than the straight forward Mullin.
2. Mullin really tried to go the fences (and his BD/Ellis backcourt with the Al and SJ expiring contracts) may or may not of worked ... but Rowell messed up Mullin decisions (obviously not Riley's fault)
3. Riley moves are wonderful for a number cruncher but he has yielded less and less talent ... going with safer bets but much, much less upside (Cuz vs Udoh) wow what a drop off ... like Shaq vs Manute Bol .... Yao vs Dumpleavy
4. I am still under the impression that Nellie will get a shot at the beginning of the season for a 9th seed run ... if we are headed to the lottery ... I think he will be quickly canned
5. While our hacks (Barnes, Pietrus, J-Rich, Jackson, Crawford) shine on other teams in post-season we got the likes of Acie Law, Reggie Williams, Gadzuric, Vlade ... seriously we got very little talent left on the roster but a lot cash flow for Guber and Lacob

During summer league and Nellie ejection time or sick days, Smart had a more conventional lineup ... and least used a SF over 6'7" sheesh. He actually used Beans and Turiaf in tandem. Sure that Avery guy and Pops guy who worked with Nellie are sure chumps and worked the exact system.

Role Player
» Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:09 pm
Mullin made some mistakes as a new GM. He learned from them and was starting to make realy good moves. Plus he cares for this team. I read thread's about him and how he gave credibility to our team in the NBA. I may be wrong but i believe he is way better than Riley.