New GM/Coach Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:30 am
Chum wrote:Nellie for one more season. If they make the playoffs then Smart as successor.

That wouldn't be too "Smart", if you ask me... :wink:

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:47 am
What would Shaw bring? He is simply a standard-issue retread, same as the other dull NBA coaches.

Simply substituting a slowdown coach for Nelson is not going to produce the results some people expect.

The triangle? The Ws couldn't run the triangle in their dreams, an offense that works with great players only. You think Biedrins could run the role Gasol does? Come on. It is a one on one offense that simply gives good spacing and a predictable pattern to work from.

What is needed is for someone to combine speed, cleverness and fundamentals, not just all one or the other.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 am
From the names that have been mentioned, I guess I'd rate Spoelstra as the first option, with Mark Jackson a close second. I'd also like Dwayne Casey, although his name hasn't been dangled around at all.

Wouldn't be oppose to Shaw, tho. I also don't think we have the personnel to run the triangle offense, but he's gotta realize that and adapt.

Anything that gets Nellie out of here and replaces him with a coach that cares about defense is a change for the better.

Rookie
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:59 am
We're not going to make the playoffs next season anyway, so why not let Nellie play small ball again and win about 20-25 games. We then win the lottory and select Harrison Barnes. Then Nellie can retire and we bring in a quality head coach. Our starting five for the 2011/2012 season:

PG: Curry
SG: Ellis
SF: Barnes
PF: Lee
C: Biedrins

But then again, we're the Warriors...we don't have that kind of luck. :)

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:03 am
boleyn wrote:We're not going to make the playoffs next season anyway, so why not let Nellie play small ball again and win about 20-25 games. We then win the lottory and select Harrison Barnes. Then Nellie can retire and we bring in a quality head coach. Our starting five for the 2011/2012 season:

Most here are Nellie haters. I get that. Sometimes I hate him as well :) Here's the thing though, even if you absolutly hate Nellie, even if you think Monta is just not good for the team... Isn't there some part of you, deep, deep, deep down inside, that wants to see what Nellie will do with a healthy team, with a combo of Curry/Monta/Lee, in his absolute final year as a coach?

Lee came here, in part, because he likes to run and gun. Curry looks to be the ultimate floor general. Monta seemed to let Curry run the show at the end of the season. Nellie seemed to soften up. The Warriors are talking about defense.

Nobody expects us to make the playoffs next year regardless of who is coaching. The new owners could use a season to get acclumated to everything. I want to see what Nellie can do with all of this offensive talent, especially the combo of Curry and Lee.

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:21 am
No. Nowhere inside of me do I want to see Nellie doing anything with our team again. I'd much rather get a new coach in and start the rebuilding process now than delay it another season just so we can settle for an above average season.

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:27 am
TMC wrote:From the names that have been mentioned, I guess I'd rate Spoelstra as the first option, with Mark Jackson a close second. I'd also like Dwayne Casey, although his name hasn't been dangled around at all.

Wouldn't be oppose to Shaw, tho. I also don't think we have the personnel to run the triangle offense, but he's gotta realize that and adapt.

Anything that gets Nellie out of here and replaces him with a coach that cares about defense is a change for the better.

Just read up a little on Spoelstra. My perception was that he was a Riley lapdog.
And I always wondered how a young guy like him, who didn't play in the NBA, could get players to respect him.
Turns out, he did play in high school and college and did very well, as well as two years as a player/coach in Germany before joining the Heat. He definitely is qualified and capable. It would be pretty cool for the Bay Area too, to have the first Filipino-American head coach of any north american professional sports team as our Warrior head coach!!

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:29 am
Beast Mode wrote:No. Nowhere inside of me do I want to see Nellie doing anything with our team again. I'd much rather get a new coach in and start the rebuilding process now than delay it another season just so we can settle for an above average season.

Aha! I knew you'd post a reply kinda like this Beast. Well, you're not wrong to want this of course, and it is a logical. However, let's not forget your man Reggie. He got his chance with Nellie, and no team will give him the kind of time and responsibility Nellie will. Nellie loves Reggie :oops: and he'll no doubt give him signifcant minutes as a point forward this season. That's another thing I'd like to see this year.

Plus... really? Zero part of you wants to see Curry and Lee in a Nellie offense?

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:33 am
Don't try and use the Reggie card. Not gonna work [-X

And like I said, ZERO part of me wants to see that. You don't need the Nellie offense to effectively run pick & rolls. It's simple basketball that Curry and Lee will execute regardless of who the coach is. I wanna see some team basketball.

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:52 am
but...but.. Reggie

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:55 pm
Chum wrote:
boleyn wrote:We're not going to make the playoffs next season anyway, so why not let Nellie play small ball again and win about 20-25 games. We then win the lottory and select Harrison Barnes. Then Nellie can retire and we bring in a quality head coach. Our starting five for the 2011/2012 season:

Most here are Nellie haters. I get that. Sometimes I hate him as well :) Here's the thing though, even if you absolutly hate Nellie, even if you think Monta is just not good for the team... Isn't there some part of you, deep, deep, deep down inside, that wants to see what Nellie will do with a healthy team, with a combo of Curry/Monta/Lee, in his absolute final year as a coach?

Lee came here, in part, because he likes to run and gun. Curry looks to be the ultimate floor general. Monta seemed to let Curry run the show at the end of the season. Nellie seemed to soften up. The Warriors are talking about defense.

Nobody expects us to make the playoffs next year regardless of who is coaching. The new owners could use a season to get acclumated to everything. I want to see what Nellie can do with all of this offensive talent, especially the combo of Curry and Lee.

This team, even with Lee, isn't better than Baron's "We Believe" team of a few years ago. So, no, I don't care to see Nellie continue running the same offense and lack of defense out there for another year. And, for the record, I was for quite some time one of the biggest Nellie apologists on this board. His ability to pick out talent and exploit mismatches is, unfortunately, not enough to overcome his tiffs with players and inability to field a defensive squad that wants to rebound the basketball.

All Star
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 pm
everyone is sick and tired of Nellie. he's been given too much freedom to "experiment" with what might work, and I can't see him returning to reality in an off-season. he got his stupid meaningless record (that cost us a top 5 draft pick btw) now his tenure needs to end.

the best end to this awesome off-season would be a change of coach. I don't have a problem with Riley. I'd like to see what he can do without Cohan over him.

but nellie...
dude needs to pack up his **** and gtfo.

Rookie
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:23 pm
first off wrote:everyone is sick and tired of Nellie. he's been given too much freedom to "experiment" with what might work, and I can't see him returning to reality in an off-season. he got his stupid meaningless record (that cost us a top 5 draft pick btw) now his tenure needs to end.

the best end to this awesome off-season would be a change of coach. I don't have a problem with Riley. I'd like to see what he can do without Cohan over him.

but nellie...
dude needs to pack up his **** and gtfo.

=D>

I say bye bye Nelson.. and who's the president?? Ya he needs to go too.. lol

Role Player
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:44 pm
Dunleavy could be in the mix for GM

timkawakami

Mike Dunleavy Sr. has relationships w-incoming W's owners Joe Lacob & Peter Guber and could be a GM candidate, according to league source.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:46 pm
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:Dunleavy could be in the mix for GM

timkawakami

Mike Dunleavy Sr. has relationships w-incoming W's owners Joe Lacob & Peter Guber and could be a GM candidate, according to league source.

F*ck.

I'm starting a site called SELLACOB.COM as soon as that happens... :letitallout: