What to do with Watson

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

In your opinion, what would be the smartest thing to do with Mr. Charles Akeem Watson Jr.?

41%
Sign and trade him before someone steals him from us.
41%
Match any realistic offer given by other teams (try to keep him no mater what)
7%
Match any low offer (I'd say low being <$2M, but please specify below)
11%
Try to find another point guard and withdraw our qualifying offer, or waive him

Total votes: 27

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:57 am
Not including C.J. there are 11 players currently on the roster
~$65M on the books ($70M is luxury tax threshold)
the team must pick up @ least 2 more players to complete the league requirements (min 13, max 15 on roster)

What do you do with Mr. Charles Akeem Watson Jr.?

the good:
*He knows the system
*Can be a spark off the bench, particularly when the offense is sputtering
*good in the passing lanes
*stats are virtually the same from last year, and no one was interested enough to offer him a big $ deal last year. He may be available at a low price again.
*though he may not be a great distributor, he doesn't turn the ball over much.
*uses his speed effectively in transition
*pretty good finisher for his size

the bad:
*may have reached his peak in PG skills.
*4.8 Assists per 48 minutes puts him @ #71 among the 82 listed point guards (2.8 apg / 27.5 mpg)
*on a team that lacks size, he is the smallest weakest player on the dubs.
*on a team that lacks perimeter defense he is arguably the worst perimeter defender on the roster (gambles for steals too much, too weak, poor D fundamentals)
*3pt percentage took a huge dip. with the (inevitable) loss of morrow, and also Azu that leaves just curry shooting above 40% from downtown (Bell - second @ 36.5%)

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 am
just not the type of back up pg we need right now, so it's a sign and trade for me

Rookie
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:29 am
I would let him go and match morrow. then find another dleague pg.
If we don't match morrow, I would match his offer if its low.

Rookie
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:49 am
I could see him getting around 4 million offered by other teams. Anything above that, d-league all-stars did good for you.

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:08 am
Sign and trade for Gortat (see my trade post.) Right now Orlando wants to trade a player for a cheaper player so they can resign Redick. JJ Redick was offered a big contract from the Bulls. Orlando is taking their full 7 days to decided if they should match Chicago's offer. What was being reported on ESPN Radio was that Orlando was hoping for an offer on Gortat. They want a good player who's contract would be less than Gortat's 6+ mil a year.

What's CJ worth? 3 mil a year? We can maybe get Gortat for CJ straight up.

» Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:12 am
I voted for sign and trade. That seems like a best option to me.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:29 am
What about the first three together?. Sign-and-trade if we find a taker and a deal we like, match any offer unless it's totally out of market value...

Franchise Player
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:41 am
I really like CJ's offense off the bench. I would like us to retain him, but all depends on what type of contract he is going to receive. But anything reasonable I would like to see us match.

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 am
bada wrote:I really like CJ's offense off the bench. I would like us to retain him, but all depends on what type of contract he is going to receive. But anything reasonable I would like to see us match.

This.

Unless we get some kind of interior presence, I'd like to keep CJ's off the bench scoring .. CJ>Bell

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:56 pm
I'd much rather keep CJ Watson...especially over Charlie Bell. But if we are gonna end up losing him anyway, I think we should send him in a sign and trade with Orlando for Matt Barnes (or something to that effect- getting a cheap Defensive SF).

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:54 pm
I'm a little surprised to see so much support for CJ. He can score a bit, but he's a below average point guard in terms of distributing and a horrible defender. I suppose you need to have a backup PG, but he's a pretty average player. I'd much rather have a guy like Barnes who plays a more physical game and can play some defense when needed.

Role Player
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:13 pm
E-Man wrote:I'd much rather keep CJ Watson...especially over Charlie Bell. But if we are gonna end up losing him anyway, I think we should send him in a sign and trade with Orlando for Matt Barnes (or something to that effect- getting a cheap Defensive SF).

The Magic just signed Duhon so I doubt they want/need Watson.

And Barnes contacted the W's about re-joining the team and the Riley said thanks but no thanks. Besides, Wright is our "cheap, defensive SF."

Matt Barnes has contacted the Warriors, but sources said agreeing on a free-agent deal is probably a longshot.

The 6-foot-7, 226-pound forward averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds for Orlando last season and acted as the team's defensive irritant. Barnes, 30, fits many of the Warriors' needs, and general manager Larry Riley says the squad could add some maturity to its youthful roster.

However, "chasing that story is probably a waste of time" because of financial concerns, a league source with knowledge of the conversations said Sunday.

Barnes signed with the Warriors before the 2006 training camp, played a key role in the 2007 "We Believe" playoff victory over top-seeded Dallas, and was a team captain for the 2007-08 season.

Link

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:14 pm
I hear Bell can play some point...

Maybe he can back up Curry? not a good distributor by the numbers but he can apparently defend, shoot, and use his speed. Bell = Watson + D?

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:34 pm
Can we trade him for Brandon Bass. Not like they use him at all

All Star
» Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:50 pm
Quazza wrote:Can we trade him for Brandon Bass. Not like they use him at all

Yes! I think we can maybe trade for Gortat and Bass. Not sure how it would work exactly but I think it's possible.