Williams wants to be "D" man

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:56 pm
For his encore, Reggie Williams isn't planning some small act.

"I want to be this team's defensive stopper," the Warriors' second-year guard said. "I want the coach to say, 'OK Reggie, go slow down Kobe,' and for him to believe that I'm going to get it done.

"I want my teammates to know that I can shut down the top players in the league."

Those are big words, but they aren't completely outside the realm of possibility for Williams. He had to watch 15 NBA Development League guys get the big-league call last season before he was asked to guard Dwyane Wade, Vince Carter and Joe Johnson in his first three games with the Warriors.

Williams, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound 23-year-old, is a far more accomplished offensive player than defender, leading the NCAA in scoring in back-to-back seasons at VMI and showing a polished game that works in the NBA. But he seems to comprehend defensive principles, moves his feet and contests shots.

Maybe more significant, he wants to be a great defender.

"He has the work ethic of a guy who had to work to get into the league," point guard Stephen Curry said. "If he says he wants to be a defensive stopper, he can be a defensive stopper. I think he can be anything he wants to be."

Williams wants, and needs, to be a defender. That's his best way to earn minutes in a backcourt that is going to see the bulk of the playing time go to Curry and Monta Ellis.

Williams has had two nice tests in the opening games of the summer league. He forced New Orleans' Marcus Thornton into shooting 9-for-22 on Friday and had to guard 6-11 Austin Daye in the Warriors' 89-69 loss to Detroit on Saturday.

Daye's length caused Williams some obvious problems. He scored 20 points, but Williams made him take tough shots, go 8-for-20 and commit three turnovers.

Summer league coach Stephen Silas saw a chance for Williams' defensive emergence in March, when the two sat down in a New Orleans hotel lobby. Silas told Williams to stop thinking and start playing.

"He always had a confident swagger, but you could see that a lot of the game was moving too fast for him," Silas said. "I told him to slow down and trust that (the defensive principles) will work. He really started to understand why he was doing certain things on defense and it showed in his play."

Whether it will translate against the likes of Kobe is yet to be seen.

Link

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:57 pm
Williams isn't 6-6 lol.

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:01 pm
And now.... starting at small forward... .REGGGIEEEEE WILLLLLYUMZZZZZZZ

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:02 pm
Williams will have his big chance this year, after trading away Azu and Maggette. And he showed enough promise last season to have high hopes for him. I certainly expect him to beat Wright for the starting SF spot and to not lose it unless he can't stay healthy for the whole season.

Rookie
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:47 pm
good for him, but less talking more showing. He has all-around offensive game with his range and handles, if he could improve his defense, he's definitely worth starting. And he's also playing for a contract next year. :)

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:49 pm
Love it

Rookie
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:24 pm
Just for talking about defense, he's probably in Nellie dog house now.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:32 pm
JSU2004 wrote:Just for talking about defense, he's probably in Nellie dog house now.

True that. :D

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:50 pm
I love it. His offensive skills are already there. It's good that he wants to improve his D and be more well-rounded.

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:14 pm
I love Reggie! <--- not homo

Rookie
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:32 pm
when she named out the players we traded, "azu, turiaf, and randolph.....ma.... wellz i cant say that yet." was she referring to monte??

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm
morrow

Rookie
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:40 pm
oh.. haah that make sense, thanks!