Warriors sign Dorell Wright

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:31 pm
bada wrote:
biggumt wrote:does anyone know monta defensive stats? like how much points other sgs get against him and their fg%?

He was absolutely BRUTAL! Here are stats from Synergy which reviews EVERY play of EVERY game via video and catalogs the results.

This chart below is from last season and is measured in points allowed per possession.

The way they measure defense:

How we select the player - Synergy tracks the initial on ball defender for many playtypes. For example, an offensive player is in Isolation and blows by his defender (player A) and gets to the rim. A help defender (player B) rotates over to try and contest the shot. We attribute the defensive play to Player A, as he was the person was initially beaten on the play.

You can see that OVERALL he gave up .98 pts per possession which is downright TERRIBLE. As you can see in the next column that was good for 367th best.. one of the worst in the entire league. Also he gave up shots at a 46% shooting % which is also one of the worst in the league.

thx for posting. I knew he was bad but not that bad.

Franchise Player
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 pm
the frustrating thing was he played well in a few games vs top top flight SG's... the rest of the time he just put out little effort on that side... only got up for the big time players. I am sure part of that is how many minutes the guy played but he just did not cut it in my eyes on that side of the ball.

All Star
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 pm
Team defense, lol, but the scapegoating is amazing.

Franchise Player
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Team defense, lol, but the scapegoating is amazing.

care to elaborate?

All Star
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 pm
bada wrote:

care to elaborate?

Last time I checked warriors were playing 1 center, sort of, wait who protected the paint ? Worst team defense in the NBA hmmm. Lets put things in full perspective here. Let me ask you do you think the warriors where play-off bound ?

Hey at least Monta was able to play and get over played the season, which can't be say for majority of this team.
At the end of the day this team was put together like cheap glue and paper, but you act as if the season was worth salvaging or something.

Franchise Player
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:36 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
bada wrote:

care to elaborate?

Last time I checked warriors were playing 1 center, sort of, wait who protected the paint ? Worst team defense in the NBA hmmm. Lets put things in full perspective here. Let me ask you do you think the warriors where play-off bound ?

Hey at least Monta was able to play and get over played the season, which can't be say for majority of this team.
At the end of the day this team was put together like cheap glue and paper, but you act as if the season was worth salvaging or something.

honestly I have no idea what you are talking about? I thought you were responding to the particular post about monta's defensive stats but now I am not sure.

I dont get your last comment? So you are saying because we were not going to make the playoffs, their is no point in putting effort into the defensive side of the ball?

but yes, our team has no clue how to play team defense and certainly that hurt Monta's numbers, but Curry had the same defense and was ranked around 120.

No matter how you slice it, the guys that Monta was defending scored at a great effeciencty and percentage.

All Star
» Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:41 pm
bada wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:
bada wrote:

care to elaborate?

honestly I have no idea what you are talking about? I thought you were responding to the particular post about monta's defensive stats but now I am not sure.

I dont get your last comment? So you are saying because we were not going to make the playoffs, their is no point in putting effort into the defensive side of the ball?

but yes, our team has no clue how to play team defense and certainly that hurt Monta's numbers, but Curry had the same defense and was ranked around 120.

No matter how you slice it, the guys that Monta was defending scored at a great effeciencty and percentage.

Again if I watched the games correctly Monta was guarding the best players majority of the time but lets not take that into account.

No there was no chance of making the play-offs, or was there if only Monta passed more or played better defense ? Its a pointless arguement because at 11 mill per year Monta earned his pay check.

Rookie
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:36 am
Exactly like Warriorsstepup wrote. Monta guarded the best scorer every night with no help from behind. If I remember correctly, Curry was on the bench often because he was in foul trouble. Few guards can succeed defensively without defensive help as offense always has the upper hand. The difference between Curry and Monta: Curry would foul when his man took him deep into the hole, Monta would allow his man to shoot when his man got to the hole. The main problem is after they both got took, nobody would be there to help. Monta didn't have the luxury of sitting on the bench so he had no choice but to let his man go. I'm not saying he's the best defender in the world, but if you know your going 48 on a team like the Warriors and their preaching score, score, score, it's a little hard to be excited about playing D. What I did notice is that teams did not choose to attack Monta at the end of a close game. Ask Joe Johnson how that idea worked out.

All Star
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:04 am
bada wrote:
biggumt wrote:does anyone know monta defensive stats? like how much points other sgs get against him and their fg%?

He was absolutely BRUTAL! Here are stats from Synergy which reviews EVERY play of EVERY game via video and catalogs the results.

This chart below is from last season and is measured in points allowed per possession.

The way they measure defense:

How we select the player - Synergy tracks the initial on ball defender for many playtypes. For example, an offensive player is in Isolation and blows by his defender (player A) and gets to the rim. A help defender (player B) rotates over to try and contest the shot. We attribute the defensive play to Player A, as he was the person was initially beaten on the play.

You can see that OVERALL he gave up .98 pts per possession which is downright TERRIBLE. As you can see in the next column that was good for 367th best.. one of the worst in the entire league. Also he gave up shots at a 46% shooting % which is also one of the worst in the league.

this is the monta that lead the league in minutes, and inexplicably played some SF.
also if there's no big men on the other team, wouldn't you be tempted to drive?

Leading the league in minutes + no big men + no chemistry due to injuries + crazy coach ... I'm telling you guys, if monta is traded, you are going to be sorry. give him another year to gel and a new coach and you'll see what I'm on about.
Last edited by first off on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 am
If I'm not mistaken, it was CJ Watson that guarded the best guy most of the time except in the 1st quarter, when Monta guarded them (because he started). And I'd put money on the fact that CJ did a better job defensively than Monta did.

All Star
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 am
first off wrote:Dorell Wright interview. seems like he has a good head on his shoulders... for someone straight out of high school (even though he's been in the league for 7 years) seems pretty intelligent. Let's hope it isn't a fluke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUEjwYZHKG4

seems like a real nice dude. Hope he works hard, improves, and brings it every night

All Star
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:02 am
E-Man wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it was CJ Watson that guarded the best guy most of the time except in the 1st quarter, when Monta guarded them (because he started). And I'd put money on the fact that CJ did a better job defensively than Monta did.

E-MAN... CJ played defense? what are you smoking man?

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:45 am
Jesus christ...............the kool aid drinking, fantasy land dreaming, extreme favouritism to the point of being completely blind to clear facts in front of you is PANDEMIC in this place now.

Just cant have a logical, sensical conversation here anymore with 5+ fan boys arguing without any kind of sense of back up to what they are saying.

"Ohh, well dont blame Monta for his awful defensive rating, cuz the team was awful overal"

Answer: "Well, Curry was nearly 200 places better off whilst playing on the same team"

Reply: "But Monta guarded the best player every night!"

Really? did he?................and did Bada actually not point out that Monta's defensive numbers were GREATLY INCREASED when playing against perceived "good" players???..............what does that mean/show?..............that he only gave a sh*t when he was guarding someone on his self inflated and false level!............like how he defended Kobe and Roy last year.

Just pointless trying to actually have a fact based conversation here nowadays...............sorry I buted in here, back to thinking everything and everyone one is perfect and a f*cking unicorn is going to be our star player SF this year.

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am
bigstrads wrote:sorry I buted in here, back to thinking everything and everyone one is perfect and a f*cking unicorn is going to be our star player SF this year.

Bro, dont hate on the Unicorn. He can create lots of space to get his own shot with that horn extending from his head. True, it might be a bit of a PR fiasco with the inevitable impalings that will occur, but Bigs, he is a BALLER! :)

All Star
» Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 am
Lmao bigs .