Warriors sign Dorell Wright

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:56 pm
Along with everyone else, I hope DW turns out to be a really constructive addition to the W's.

I think the BETTER NEWS is that the W's seem to be paying a heckovalot more attention to the defensive side of the game than ever before under Nelson. THAT'S what's making me tolerate these moves by our Lame Duck FO.

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:17 pm
How can this be? weren't we right at/over the cap?

Oh well, feeling pretty good about the pick up. Don't know if he's a "defensive stopper" like everyone is saying, but at least he's got length, athleticism, and a smidge of upside. mainly happy about the size of that contract.
Last edited by first off on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Franchise Player
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:20 pm
first off wrote:How can this be?

Aren't we over the cap?

we have our mid-level exception. I think this year the mid-level had a 1st year salary of 5.7 mill. You can use up to that amount on one player or split it up

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 pm
bada wrote:
first off wrote:How can this be?

Aren't we over the cap?

we have our mid-level exception. I think this year the mid-level had a 1st year salary of 5.7 mill. You can use up to that amount on one player or split it up

Ah that makes sense, didn't realize you didn't have to offer a flat contract

Role Player
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:25 pm
I know nothing about this bloke.

Anyway he is getting paid about the same as the bloke he is basically replacing (Kelenna)

DW — 11.6 points, 6.8 rebs, 2.3 asts, 1.1 stls, 1.0 blks, 1.5 TOs, .461 FG%, .344 3P%, .806 FT%
KA — 15.6 points, 6.0 rebs, 1.7 asts. 0.9 stls, 0.7 blks, 1.4 TOs, .459 FG%, .409 3P%, .770 FT%

Pretty similar stats, (per 36) minus the great 3P shot.

I hope for the best, being a couple of years younger and a couple of inches taller, he could be a pleasant surprise.

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:48 pm
My favorite part of this signing is the fact that we have a perimeter defender who is big enough to guard the other big guys on the perimeter. Last year, we had no one who could do that. Also, our starting five isn't undersized now!

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 am
JayPat wrote:My favorite part of this signing is the fact that we have a perimeter defender who is big enough to guard the other big guys on the perimeter. Last year, we had no one who could do that. Also, our starting five isn't undersized now!

This.

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:23 am
JayPat wrote:My favorite part of this signing is the fact that we have a perimeter defender who is big enough to guard the other big guys on the perimeter. Last year, we had no one who could do that. Also, our starting five isn't undersized now!

Only until nelson plays him at the 5

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:32 am
the guy who shows off his little weener on worldwideweb can't and won't get no respect from me, **** him.
dorrel wright, i sincerely regret that you come to warriors!

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 am
Quazza wrote:

Only until nelson plays him at the 5

Too many negative vibes Quazza :mrgreen:

Seriously though the Warriors are at least appearing to be putting a good lineup together...

PG - Curry
SG - Monta
SF - Wright
PF - Lee
C - Biedrins

A lot of "ifs" here, but...
If Monta gels with the offense and let's Curry run the show
If Lee gets BETTER because he will be playing a more natural position
If Biedrins comes back healthy
If the Warriors (whoever is in charge) makes the team play defense

then

We can make the playoffs.

If nothing else it's kinda exciting to think of the sheer offensive "potential" of a Curry/Monta/Lee combo. That is a serious amount of firepower in a run and gun offense.

Positive vibes Quazza :)

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:42 am
martin wrote:the guy who shows off his little weener on worldwideweb can't and won't get no respect from me, **** him.

Is that like a really bad thing in Lithuania? Because here it's not a big deal. It's mockable if you have a little dick, but it's not really an amoral thing... in most of the states anyway :)

Rookie
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:00 am
is he an offensive liability?

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:32 am
Chum wrote:
martin wrote:the guy who shows off his little weener on worldwideweb can't and won't get no respect from me, **** him.

Is that like a really bad thing in Lithuania? Because here it's not a big deal. It's mockable if you have a little dick, but it's not really an amoral thing... in most of the states anyway :)

it's not about morality or lithuania (we have tons of stupid teenagers showing off their various forms of meat on net) whatsoever, it's about being dumb as a lame duck. oh, yeah, and he has this nickname, mr. five inch, i guess that only makes him even bigger idiot.

All Star
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:42 am

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:58 am
I think this is a solid signing. Wright is NOT a lock down defensive guy, like some here are saying. He does have great length, but I hope that he does not play even 1 minute at PF next year under Nellie. Wright has an OK three point shot and pretty good handles for a guy his size. The best part about it is that as long as he is playing the three then we really don't need to rely upon him to do much more then use his length and athleticism to fly around the court, maybe make a few athletic blocks and dunks, and hit a few open jumpers.

I love the fact that we have a pure SF who is 6'9''. I also love that Williams won't be starting at the 3- I have HAD IT with small ball.