Why??

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 pm
Why r so many of you fans complaining about the David lee deal??

You guys were complaining that the warriors weren't gonna go out and spend any money to improve the team, we have done that but now your complaining we spent to much

You guys were complaining about how we never get any value back in trades, we did get value back and your still complaining! What has Randolph ever done to show that he is a non tradable piece. We were able to get an ALLSTAR for a project player who we don't even know will be a star.

You guys complained about how we aren't gonna add any big names this offseason. We have done that. Here is a list I saw of the top free agents available this offseason

1. Lebron James
2. Dwayne Wade
3. Chris Bosh
4. Dirk
5. Amare Stoudemire
6. Joe Johnson
7. David Lee
8. Rudy Gay
9. Paul Pierce
10. Ray Allen

We got the 7th best player available! We cracked the top 10 and I'm pretty sure a lot of us didn't even expect to crack the top 20. I for one love this trade we were able to do everything we thought we weren't gonna be able to do! Best of luck to Randolph but I would much rather have lee. Go warriors!

Franchise Player
» Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:51 pm
I like it.

It all depends on how well Randolph develops. If he reaches his potential, the Knicks got the best player in the trade. If not, we did.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Its very simple for me...

I did NOT want them to spend any money.

With our current ownership change and the impending change to the CBA, it did not make sense for me to do a deal like this right now. I want the new GM/Coach to make the decision whether Lee is the right fit for the next 6 years, not Cohan, Rowell, and Riley.

Having said that, it could have been a lot worse, however my preference that I have been saying for awhile now is we just would have done nothing other that a minor one year vet deal or unloading long term contracts

All Star
» Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:03 pm
We like to complain, it's what we do :) As to why, well people have been expalining themselves on that in the various posts lately.

I personally have mixed feelings on it. I really like David Lee, have for years, but he's an offensive player and the Warriors need defense. Kinda simple as that for me. If the Warriors can land themselves a great defensive center, or Udoh can play center, or Udoh can play SF AND we land a great defensive center (if any of that happens) I'll be happy we traded for Lee. All big ifs though, and I don't have a lot of faith in the current FO to make any of that happen. Nor am I sure the new owner will make good things happen. Reports of Dunleavy possibly coming here... /shudder.

Anyway I think the list should look like this...
1. Wade
2. Lee
3. Boozer
4. Gay
5. Dirk
6. Bosh
7. Pierce
8. Amare
9. Ray Allen
10. Joe Johnson
11. LeDouche

Starting Lineup
» Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:07 pm
I generally like the trade. I was rooting for an Al Jefferson for Ellis trade, mainly cuz I think he has more of a post game than Lee, but ya know, many trades come attatched with risks. Al Jeff would've been a risk, his durability and ballhogging. David Lee comes with risks because of bad defense and being overpaid. although it's an encouraging thought that he will matchup better with PF's than the C's he's been used to guarding. and there's the risk that AR will fulfill his potential and become a KG-like superstar. there's also the chance he doesn't and becomes a Ike Diogu or Brandan Wright. I like this move because Lee is an all-star, a bonefied starter, a need-filler, there's no 'wait and see' how our question marks or potential hopefuls pan out...we got a proven very good player for 3 little used players. I for one am sick of waiting for youth potentials to hopefully do something sometime in the next 3 yrs, this trade allows us to get better (and more balanced) now . that's the idea....keep moving up, talent attracts more talent. I really couldn't care less if we win a championship in the next few years....I'm estactic with making rarely seen playoffs....baby steps... 2007 was an amazing year for the warriors just for making the playoffs. if we become the Dallas Mavs for the next few years, I'm good with that, it'll be fun being among the competitors.

ALSO we keep the core starters AND expirating contracts....not too shabby. even if we want to package Ellis & an expiring for an elite player than you can really transform this team. even tho it's the 4 clowns in the FO making decisions, one outta look at this move objectively. and when you do that, I'd say it's a pretty good move.

All Star
» Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 pm
Chum wrote:We like to complain, it's what we do :) As to why, well people have been expalining themselves on that in the various posts lately.

I personally have mixed feelings on it. I really like David Lee, have for years, but he's an offensive player and the Warriors need defense. Kinda simple as that for me. If the Warriors can land themselves a great defensive center, or Udoh can play center, or Udoh can play SF AND we land a great defensive center (if any of that happens) I'll be happy we traded for Lee. All big ifs though, and I don't have a lot of faith in the current FO to make any of that happen. Nor am I sure the new owner will make good things happen. Reports of Dunleavy possibly coming here... /shudder.

1. Wade
2. Lee
3. Boozer
4. Gay
5. Dirk
6. Bosh
7. Pierce
8. Amare
9. Ray Allen
10. Joe Johnson
11. LeDouche

lol Gay at 4? Ahead of Bosh, Dirk, etc?

Rookie
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:49 am
Where is lebron on that list?

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:59 am
DrewDZ49 wrote:Where is lebron on that list?

Site Admin
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:11 am
TheBodyGuard wrote:
DrewDZ49 wrote:Where is lebron on that list?

lol LeDouche.... At 11th, what a joke.

I like the deal and i like Lee, but I agree with Bada - I don't like that the current ownership/regime are making all of these changes (draft mishandling, new logo, etc). And I really don't like that new ownership hasn't stepped up yet, what are they waiting for? I seriously doubt the team will be purchased any time this season, it feels like it's too late and potential buyers have cold feet. So it's not that I dislike the moves (except for the draft) I just don't like who's making them. :?

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:42 am
Because AR is a better player than he is, plus he will only improve, plus the money.

And I am sick and tired of people claiming AR is all potential, when infact playing the minutes he did he made major impact, but he obviously did not get enough minutes, he did not get enough minutes, hello how hard is that to process. He was already double digits in scoring nearing that in rebounding plus his effort and impact on defense was unquestionable, plus he will keep improving and adding muscle and weight last I heard he is at 235 not bad at all.

Rookie
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:35 am
We love potential, remember the Pacers trade where we got Jackson and Harrington, what was the big caution with that trade? I think were gonna regret trading Diagu....what has he done thus far?

I like the trade, and I understand and probably feel like Lee's numbers are a little inflated, I compare it to Marc Jackson, remember old Marc with the Warriors in 2000-2001, when the guy started he averaged like 18-10, because its sometimes easy to put up meaningless stats on bad teams, as Warrior fans weve seen plenty of that.

But in my view, this was the time to make a decision on Anthony Randolph, either you trade him now and probably get the most for him or you roll the dice and see what he does for you and either he emerges as a really good player or loses his trade value. To me when I watched Randolph, I saw a player with amazing physical ability for his size who simply has a very very low Basketball IQ. Missed assignments, unecessary fouls, choosing the wrong move around the hoop with the ball consistently....these to me are signs of instincts, they are not something like a bad jumper which can be developed, these are things that happen naturally and you either have a feel for the game or you dont. There will be games/times where AR will be phenomenal but its not sustainable. I had no problem trading him, I was hoping to do it last year for a risky FA Star to be, but looking on how things shook out, the two guys that might of been available (Boozer and Bosh) seemed to have an agenda and we likely would of lost them.

The other thing I like, is the move gives us some offense in the froncourt, I mean this team right now with Biedrens, Udoh, Wright, etc...those guys are "long" defensive first guys, not much offense there, so adding something up front with Lee to me is a nice addition. Do I wish he was $10 Mil per? Sure, but that wasnt the market right now and when you are the W's, you have to overpay a bit.

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 am
Quazza wrote:
Chum wrote:We like to complain, it's what we do :) As to why, well people have been expalining themselves on that in the various posts lately.

1. Wade
2. Lee
3. Boozer
4. Gay
5. Dirk
6. Bosh
7. Pierce
8. Amare
9. Ray Allen
10. Joe Johnson
11. LeDouche

lol Gay at 4? Ahead of Bosh, Dirk, etc?

My list is kinda an age/who I like/who would fit on the Warriors thing. Gay is good friends with Curry off the court, young and a dynamic scorer. He's a horrible defender though, but you can't have everything I guess. At least Gay is young and athletic enough to develop into a good defender with the right coaching.

1. Wade <--- one of the best in the league
2. Lee <--- underrated, still has upside, needs to work on D
3. Boozer <--- solid but I don't see him getting better
4. Gay <--- great scorer, young, friends with Curry, tons of upside, needs to work on D
5. Dirk <--- great but old
6. Bosh <--- overrated and now overpayed. Very good but not great
7. Pierce <--- great but old
8. Amare <--- talented but won't get better or reach potential. Old at this point. Just not a winner imo
9. Ray Allen <--- great but old
10. Joe Johnson <--- can't stand this guy despite his talent. Makes the team worse in the long run
11. LeDouche <--- I'm still trying to decide who I hate more, LeDouche or The Rapist.

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:37 am
hmmm if one is a douche and one is a rapist, i say, HATE THE RAPIST!

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:41 am
bada wrote:Its very simple for me...

I did NOT want them to spend any money.

With our current ownership change and the impending change to the CBA, it did not make sense for me to do a deal like this right now. I want the new GM/Coach to make the decision whether Lee is the right fit for the next 6 years, not Cohan, Rowell, and Riley.

Having said that, it could have been a lot worse, however my preference that I have been saying for awhile now is we just would have done nothing other that a minor one year vet deal or unloading long term contracts

Exactly! Great analysis.

It is not so much that Lee is a bad player; quite contrary, he is a good player. It is the issue of the current regime making decisions which will affect the franchise for the next 6 years. The new ownership should have been afforded the opportunity to make a decision like this.

All Star
» Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:44 am
gsw shooter wrote:We love potential, remember the Pacers trade where we got Jackson and Harrington, what was the big caution with that trade? I think were gonna regret trading Diagu....what has he done thus far?

I like the trade, and I understand and probably feel like Lee's numbers are a little inflated, I compare it to Marc Jackson, remember old Marc with the Warriors in 2000-2001, when the guy started he averaged like 18-10, because its sometimes easy to put up meaningless stats on bad teams, as Warrior fans weve seen plenty of that.

But in my view, this was the time to make a decision on Anthony Randolph, either you trade him now and probably get the most for him or you roll the dice and see what he does for you and either he emerges as a really good player or loses his trade value. To me when I watched Randolph, I saw a player with amazing physical ability for his size who simply has a very very low Basketball IQ. Missed assignments, unecessary fouls, choosing the wrong move around the hoop with the ball consistently....these to me are signs of instincts, they are not something like a bad jumper which can be developed, these are things that happen naturally and you either have a feel for the game or you dont. There will be games/times where AR will be phenomenal but its not sustainable. I had no problem trading him, I was hoping to do it last year for a risky FA Star to be, but looking on how things shook out, the two guys that might of been available (Boozer and Bosh) seemed to have an agenda and we likely would of lost them.

The other thing I like, is the move gives us some offense in the froncourt, I mean this team right now with Biedrens, Udoh, Wright, etc...those guys are "long" defensive first guys, not much offense there, so adding something up front with Lee to me is a nice addition. Do I wish he was $10 Mil per? Sure, but that wasnt the market right now and when you are the W's, you have to overpay a bit.

Your analysis is spot on.

Given the circumstances and state of the franchise, especially who is coaching this team, perhaps giving up on Randolph and getting a proven player like Lee makes sense.