Lee to Warriors offer on table

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 am
who does David Lee's game resemble from the past? I haven't seen him play a whole lot, just wondering if there's any players from the current or past nba who he reminds you of? I've heard a Troy Murphy and Gugliotta comparison (probably cuz they're white)...I know he's no Troy Murphy, don't remember Googs game all that much. how are the Warriors going to use Lee? will they go to him in the paint during dry spells? will he command double teams? I like the fact that he's a pretty good passer (played some PG growing up I think)... should keep the offense fluid. nice change to have someone in the paint that poses a consistent threat to the opposition after the likes of post "threats" of Biedrins, Turiaf, B Wright, AR (jury's still out on his post O), T. Murphy, Foyle, Diogu, etc. I think it's safe to say Lee is the best post threat we've had since Webber?

Hall of Famer
» Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:06 am
rockyBeli wrote:who does David Lee's game resemble from the past? I haven't seen him play a whole lot, just wondering if there's any players from the current or past nba who he reminds you of? I've heard a Troy Murphy and Gugliotta comparison (probably cuz they're white)...I know he's no Troy Murphy, don't remember Googs game all that much. how are the Warriors going to use Lee? will they go to him in the paint during dry spells? will he command double teams? I like the fact that he's a pretty good passer (played some PG growing up I think)... should keep the offense fluid. nice change to have someone in the paint that poses a consistent threat to the opposition after the likes of post "threats" of Biedrins, Turiaf, B Wright, AR (jury's still out on his post O), T. Murphy, Foyle, Diogu, etc. I think it's safe to say Lee is the best post threat we've had since Webber?

Lee is no post threat. He is not a good post scorer, as in back to the basket, but he moves quite well, scores off rebounds (putbacks), can shoot the jump shot quite well and is very good on the pick and roll, which should happen alot this season with him and Curry. His defense stinks prety much.

He can be compared to Murphy in Murphy's earlier years here, but not once he started being a jump shooter only pretty much. Lee is pretty good and I'll be intrested to see if he can do something similar to what he did last season for the Knicks

Site Admin
» Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:13 am
I haven't seen much of Lee but from what I have seen and heard he really isn't that much of an offensive-post threat - I could be wrong. He is definitely waaaay better then Murphy - I understand want to compare him to another white player but from what I've seen I can't think of many though he does have a nice stroke that you see in many European players of his size. He does have good hands, ball-handling skills, passing abilities and athleticism.

Here's a highlight reel:

All Star
» Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 pm
the Murpy comparisons are way off. He's more athletic than Murphy could have ever dreamed

All Star
» Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 pm
Quazza wrote:the Murpy comparisons are way off. He's more athletic than Murphy could have ever dreamed

This. Him and Murphy are both white and tall ... thats about where the comparisons stop. Lee is 5x the worker Murphy is. And Lee is 10000x more entertaining than Murphy. Curry + Monta + Lee on the floor at the same time is gonna be fun to watch, regardless of how it works. I still think 8th seed.

All Star
» Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 am
Man, I cannot wait for the season to start.

All Star
» Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:12 am
Beast Mode wrote:
Quazza wrote:the Murpy comparisons are way off. He's more athletic than Murphy could have ever dreamed

This. Him and Murphy are both white and tall ... thats about where the comparisons stop. Lee is 5x the worker Murphy is. And Lee is 10000x more entertaining than Murphy. Curry + Monta + Lee on the floor at the same time is gonna be fun to watch, regardless of how it works. I still think 8th seed.

I mean, imagine Murphy even trying this over Josh Smith lol

Franchise Player
» Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:51 pm
Quazza wrote:

WOW...

THX FOR THE LINK QUAZZA!!!

Not many times you see a Whitey dunk on Josh Smith, Let alone throw in a Pump Fake ( i felt like it's just snowed in Queensland ::lol: )

Franchise Player
» Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:55 pm
Actually while we are on the topic of Troy Murphy...

This guy would be the perfect candidate for TEAM USA at the World Championships this year...
Think about it!

With the disgrace which is "No one respecting the USA Jersey unless it's Olympic Competition" & all the players that have pulled out. TEAM USA needs a solid 4/5. Troy Murphy can be a instant 20/10 guy... & considering when night in night out he's going up against guys like Kevin Garnett, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Tyrus Thomas, J.Noah, Andrew Bogut etc all out in the EAST... The Level of BIGS on the World Centre stage would be a easy task for him to defend (Troys weakness) but then can you imagine that game of his, & forcing a opponent 4 or 5 to come and Guard him on the perimeter... It would open up so many lanes for TEAM USA & think about all the Nasty Kevin Durant could deliver with no 4/5's clogging up the paint!!!

Starting Lineup
» Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:07 pm
Beast Mode wrote:

You got it man. I think Lee is gonna love the Bay Area and the Oracle fans. He seems like a guy that could really feed off the crowd and have some fun on the floor with Curry and Monta. Him, Beans, and Reggie will be some workhorses in the front court.

Monta should forget about dribbling. Just cut to the basket all day off the feeds from Curry and Lee.

All Star
» Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:39 pm
It has nothing to do to the fact that Murphy and Lee are both white, I mean come on now, I keep hearing people saying Lee is not similar to Troy Murphy but no one has mentioned who he is similar to.

Lets see

David Lee - height 6'9 Murphy 6'11
Weight 250 245
Defense- below average
Excellent rebounders
Mid range game- for PF is excellent
Losing teams

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/l ... 3b0VWmuRTI

Lee believes the next dimension to his game is adding a 3-point shot. "I like to lengthen out my jump shot to be a 3-point shooter," he said.

"Not saying I'll be [Danilo] Gallinari out there. That won't be the focus of my game, but I hit two shots [Wednesday in Toronto] with my heels on the line. I think I can be a decent 3-point shooter. I think that's the next step."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/l ... z0w3mzGbUn

Getting a 20/10 type of player will be great for the team regardless if he can keep up that production here, plus Nellie will keep him on the floor on a consistent bases, problem will be the center position, if we find Lee playing at the Center position then we in trouble. With Beans and Gudzaric we are going to be in limbo, if they get in foul trouble or injured.

Comparing Murphy to Lee is not the worst thing or a bad thing at all, Murphy is a capable player, its not the biggest knock on David Lee. Lee has more hustle than Murphy which is very important and will translate well with the warriors. I guess gotta be patient until the season starts and see how the team gel. Losing AR was tough but if Lee continues 20/10 then no worries, Nellie really don't like AR but am sure he will love Lee and will have to play him.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:33 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:It has nothing to do to the fact that Murphy and Lee are both white, I mean come on now, I keep hearing people saying Lee is not similar to Troy Murphy but no one has mentioned who he is similar to.

Lets see

David Lee - height 6'9 Murphy 6'11
Weight 250 245
Defense- below average
Excellent rebounders
Mid range game- for PF is excellent
Losing teams

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/l ... 3b0VWmuRTI

Lee believes the next dimension to his game is adding a 3-point shot. "I like to lengthen out my jump shot to be a 3-point shooter," he said.

"Not saying I'll be [Danilo] Gallinari out there. That won't be the focus of my game, but I hit two shots [Wednesday in Toronto] with my heels on the line. I think I can be a decent 3-point shooter. I think that's the next step."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/l ... z0w3mzGbUn

Getting a 20/10 type of player will be great for the team regardless if he can keep up that production here, plus Nellie will keep him on the floor on a consistent bases, problem will be the center position, if we find Lee playing at the Center position then we in trouble. With Beans and Gudzaric we are going to be in limbo, if they get in foul trouble or injured.

Comparing Murphy to Lee is not the worst thing or a bad thing at all, Murphy is a capable player, its not the biggest knock on David Lee. Lee has more hustle than Murphy which is very important and will translate well with the warriors. I guess gotta be patient until the season starts and see how the team gel. Losing AR was tough but if Lee continues 20/10 then no worries, Nellie really don't like AR but am sure he will love Lee and will have to play him.

Firstly, the similarities you pointed out between Murphy and Lee are good ones and genuine. As you said, it is Lee's hustle that makes him better, he is also a pretty good passer. What is the most important factor, and to me will result in the team not being much better than what it was last season (injuries permitting ofcourse), is Lee's total lack of defense. The guy plays offense pretty well and rebounds well, but when you can't defend, you get socred on as much as you score, so you really are not helping your team a whole lot. The fact that the quote you included at the end states that Lee wants to now add a three point shot means absolute trouble and really justifies a comparison to Murphy. Murphy was riugh and tough for the team until he added a three point shot and then he becmae soft. Same thing could happen to Lee and that would mean a total waste of money.

I always like aR and absolutely disliked the trade for Lee. The team got an established player who is still young, but they gave away two players who were younger and rising and one that was also young and gave the team in the most important are it lacked, defense. Focussing on AR, the PF that should have started if he was not traded, he is more athletic in every way to Lee, runs faster, is taler with far more length, scored more per same court time and just has far more potential than Lee. It is on defense where AR absolutely trumps Lee. AR, in very limited time and chances ofcourse, played very good defense. He blocked shots so well and had quick hands. With the opportunity, a proper opportunity, AR would become the best player on the team, his talent just permits that. AR could only improve his body strength and his allround skills, where as Lee won't improve much, in my opinion.