If trade rumors are true...

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:27 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
KC wrote:
Chum wrote:If we are going to trade Monta before the new owner comes in I'd rather go after a player like Granger or Iguodala than Lee. Those two players would fill much more needed positions, and they can play some defense, especially Iggy :)

Ok... imo, Granger > Lee and Lee > Iggy...

Would do back flips if we traded for Granger... But I'd prefer Lee over Iggy...

same. Iggy is in my "do not trade for whatsoever" list

I wouldn't mind lee, except as mentioned before, he will come with a steep price tag. Might as well keep Beans and save 5-6 mill a year if we are going after him.

What's not to like about Iggy?

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am
Rather pay Lee 5 more Mill than Biedrins and get more rebounding, and about 12 more points per game. Consistently.

Role Player
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:47 am
I didn't realize Lee was such a terrible defender.

He's getting ripped by almost every Warrior writer and expert for being one of the worst defenders in the league. I knew he wasn't great but I didn't know he was that bad.

Like Beast said, I'd still take him over Biedrins because he would rebound better and score more points on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't trade Ellis and AR for him though and I don't want him if he's a max contract.

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am
GoldenStJayhawk wrote:I didn't realize Lee was such a terrible defender.

He's getting ripped by almost every Warrior writer and expert for being one of the worst defenders in the league. I knew he wasn't great but I didn't know he was that bad.

Like Beast said, I'd still take him over Biedrins because he would rebound better and score more points on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't trade Ellis and AR for him though and I don't want him if he's a max contract.

He's not a horrible defender. He's not the greatest, but he's not horrible. Lets not forget he's being coached by Mike D'Antoni [who shouldn't have the D in his last name] ... Defense has never been a part of Mike's scheme.

Role Player
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am
Steinmetz's small take on Lee helping the W's defensively

MSteinmetzCSN

You can't be a guy who says: "Rebounding is a part of defense," and then say Lee won't help the Ws defensively.

That's a decent point imo.

Role Player
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 pm
Beast Mode wrote:He's not a horrible defender. He's not the greatest, but he's not horrible

That's what I thought but Kawakami and others have been saying that he wasn't just a bad defender but a terrible one. I've seen Lee play but I've never really focused too much on what he was doing on the defensive end. He never stood out to me as guy who was just getting destroyed by the player he was guarding.

Regardless, I'd take him on my team. Just not for max money and not for Ellis and AR.

Role Player
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:09 pm
Steinmetz seems to be in the minority when it comes to Warrior writers. He thinks Lee would help the team on both sides.

Time to take a closer look at David Lee, whom the Warriors are trying to acquire in a sign-and-trade deal with the New York Knicks:

--First of all, let’s get into his weaknesses. The big criticism you hear about Lee is that he is a poor defender. That is true. Lee is a below average defender, no doubt.

But taking it a step further, Lee has mostly guarded centers in New York, and he does struggle even more than usual defensively when he’s undersized. You’ve got to figure that he’ll improve on that end of the floor – at least somewhat – if he can play power forward.

Which Lee should be able to do provided center Andris Biedrins is still on the Warriors. Although Biedrins’ name continues to surface in trade rumors, it is unlikely he’s going anywhere, particularly if the Warriors aren’t getting a center on the back part of the deal.

And you know what else? The reality of the situation is that Lee will make the Warrior a BETTER defensive team. That’s right, better. How? Simple. According to many out there – Warriors coach Don Nelson among them – rebounding is actually a part of defense, the final step of it.

Hey, that’s what a lot of you maintain.

So, if that’s the case, Lee makes the Warriors better defensively just by his ability to get a defensive rebound (where he ranked second in the league behind only Dwight Howard) and gain the Warriors possession.

After all, how many times last season did the Warriors give up second and third shots? Don’t forget, they were the worst rebounding team in the NBA last year. By simply getting a good rebounder, you get better defensively.

--Got a few correspondences suggesting Lee was just another Troy Murphy. Come on. That’s ridiculous. OK, they both rebound. Fair enough. But Murphy is a 3-point shooter. That’s not part of Lee’s game. Secondly, Lee is much more athletic than Murphy.

Lee is also one of the league’s most efficient offensive players. He shot 54.5 percent from the field. Compare that with Murphy’s 44.7 percent career shooting percentage. C’mon. And while we’re at it, Lee is a 20-point per game scorer. Murphy’s never sniffed that.

Saying David Lee is overrated is one thing; saying he’s another Troy Murphy is simply inaccurate.

--

Of course, there is also the off-court stuff like what kind of contract Lee is going to sign and which players the Warriors will have to give up for him. Lee seems guaranteed to earn a contract in the $10 to $15 million range, meaning the Warriors are going to have to come up with that kind of money in return salary.

Monta Ellis ($11 million) and Andris Biedrins ($9 million) are the Warriors’ two big money players. They each have four more years remaining on their deals. But who knows? Maybe the Knicks don’t want to take on years because they want to play the free agent game again next offseason.

It’s conceivable the Knicks would want back Vladimir Radmanovic and his expiring contract ($6.9 million), along with one of the Warriors’ young pieces, most obviously Anthony Randolph. You’d probably have to throw in a Kelenna Azubuike or Ronny Turiaf to make it equal what Lee will make.

LINK

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:26 pm
Lee is a far better option IMO than simply trading for expirers and hoping the Warriors will make wise roster moves in the coming years.

I'm also of the opinion that Beans isn't a lost cause, especially if you can put a PF next to him who can actually help with interior defense and rebounding.

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:35 pm
I fail to see how David Lee DOESN'T help the Warriors. You got a double-double machine with, now, a solid midrange who can play the half court game AND the full court game. You want defense? Pair him with Turiaf or Biedrins so they can get the blocks/alter shots and try rebounding against them. You want offense? Get him on the court with Curry and I guarantee Steph will find him whether in the set or on the break (with Lee's nearly unlimited energy).

Most of you know how much I hate Matt Steinmetz...but I find myself agreeing with him for once.

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:51 pm
If Joe Johnson is worth a max contract, David Lee is worth 2. Thats all I'm saying. He's definitely worth whatever he makes. He doesn't nearly get enough chances on the Knicks to shine. He could be a 25/10 guy. And people complaining about his Defense, like E-Man said... get Turiaf/Udoh/Biedrins out there to offset.

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:55 pm
Do we need another PF? No.
Do we need another scorer? No.
Do we need another defender? Yes.
Do we need a giant contract? No.

Does anyone remember who we just drafted? Oh yeah, the best defensive player in college basketball, who happens to be a rebounding and shot blocking machine, who happens to be taller, younger, more athletic, CHEAPER and has a much longer wingspan than Lee.

Can he score like Lee... WHO CARES!!!

Do we also have AR and B.Wright on this team? Yep. Somehow I think between Udoh, AR and B.Wright the PF position is one we don't need to focus on.

Davis Lee is NOT a center. Maybe he played as a center for the Knicks, but then again Mags played as PF for the Warriors. David Lee is 6'9" in shoes, after being stretched on a tourture rack. He could never hack it as a center on a competitive playoff team.

There are a lot of excellent players that we could probably trade for that would fit in with our current roster much better than David Lee.

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 pm
E-Man wrote:I fail to see how David Lee DOESN'T help the Warriors. You got a double-double machine with, now, a solid midrange who can play the half court game AND the full court game. You want defense? Pair him with Turiaf or Biedrins so they can get the blocks/alter shots and try rebounding against them. You want offense? Get him on the court with Curry and I guarantee Steph will find him whether in the set or on the break (with Lee's nearly unlimited energy).

Most of you know how much I hate Matt Steinmetz...but I find myself agreeing with him for once.

Word... X2... Ditto... Co-sign... Yes... Agree...

=D> :D :salute: \:D/ :cheers: :hello1: :withstupid: :headbang:

Rookie
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:03 pm
E-Man wrote:
Get him on the court with Curry and I guarantee Steph will find him whether in the set or on the break (with Lee's nearly unlimited energy).

I agree - as long as Lee can put this behind him:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk[/youtube]

Would like to see Brandon Wright added into any sign-and-trade for Lee.
If Biedrins is the Center, Lee the PF, Turiaf back-up C, Udoh back-up PF (which would be good for him as I don't see him as a starter for at least a year or two, wouldn't have the pressure, and could come off the bench with energy and D). And depending on match-ups, AR could start mostly at SF, and slide up when needed. AR, Udoh, and Turiaf can challenge/alter shots and Lee can clean-up the glass.

And, as much as I love Monta, if he is not to be a Warrior, it would be pretty cool to see him in a Knicks uni with D'Antoni - could watch him play, root for him 80 games a year, enjoy his skills, and not care if he wins or loses.

(in which case, ignore my sig below :wink: )

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:10 pm
Chum wrote:Do we need another PF? No.
Do we need another scorer? No.
Do we need another defender? Yes.
Do we need a giant contract? No.

Does anyone remember who we just drafted? Oh yeah, the best defensive player in college basketball, who happens to be a rebounding and shot blocking machine, who happens to be taller, younger, more athletic, CHEAPER and has a much longer wingspan than Lee.

Can he score like Lee... WHO CARES!!!

Do we also have AR and B.Wright on this team? Yep. Somehow I think between Udoh, AR and B.Wright the PF position is one we don't need to focus on.

Davis Lee is NOT a center. Maybe he played as a center for the Knicks, but then again Mags played as PF for the Warriors. David Lee is 6'9" in shoes, after being stretched on a tourture rack. He could never hack it as a center on a competitive playoff team.

There are a lot of excellent players that we could probably trade for that would fit in with our current roster much better than David Lee.

What was the Warriors' biggest weakness last year? Something we've said has been a weakness and needs to be addressed and would help us win more games? REBOUNDING. David Lee brings that, and is one of the best in the league at it. He may not be a natural center, but did play center for the Knicks...and playing center for the Knicks he was matched up against other centers in the league and STILL averaged 11.7 rpg.

As far as scoring goes...maybe we don't need another scorer. But as far as the interior scoring/low post scoring goes, who do we have? The best teams in the NBA play the game from inside-out. They have someone who can score on the block and it opens up shots and lanes for the rest of the team.

I agree that we do have to put a focus on developing the guys that we got in Randolph, Wright, and Udoh. As far as Udoh, he is a rookie and will be on the bench anyway until he proves he's worthy of the starter position. Wright needs to prove to be healthy before he can play. Same goes for Randolph, and even then could stand to mature coming off the bench before going into the game with the "it's all about me" attitude which hurts his game.
Last edited by E-Man on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
» Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:11 pm
Beast Mode wrote:If Joe Johnson is worth a max contract, David Lee is worth 2. Thats all I'm saying. He's definitely worth whatever he makes. He doesn't nearly get enough chances on the Knicks to shine. He could be a 25/10 guy. And people complaining about his Defense, like E-Man said... get Turiaf/Udoh/Biedrins out there to offset.

He had all the chances in the world to shine on the Knicks, and he did great. He's probably worth a max contract, or at least a very big contract, but the Warriors just don't need him.

As far as JJ getting the max.... :roll: