Gentry vs Nelson

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 8:54 am
Whoa, this rookie coach, an unheralded assistant, is showing the way! Since the Suns and the Ws play a similar style, at least on the surface, the coaching comparisons are interesting.

Personal style:

Nelson is known for his mind games, dog houses, meddling, lawsuits and abrasive relationships with, well, everyone.

Gentry stepped right in, following the accomplished D'Antoni, and has won his team over, seems to be a rational, even-tempered guy unencumbered by irrational or destructive behavior. It seems all his efforts go into coaching the best way with what he was dealt.

Winner: the rookie Gentry.

Offensive philosophy:

Nelson's offense is supposedly one of running the ball, of fast breaks. In practice, the ball is often walked up the court, the offense consists of isolations, the weave and the pick and roll. Lots of standing around and freezing out the hot shooters as star players who are 2-14 try to shoot their way out of a bad night by hoisting up even more shots...

The Suns have clever offenses. You won't see the eighth-grade weave, but you will see a better pick and roll. You see players all moving around and inevitably ending up in their best offensive positions. You don't see the Suns hoisting up 40-footers with one second on the shot clock.

Sun players who don't have ball-handling skills don't try to go one-on-five.

Winner: Gentry. Good, crisp offense. Sharing the ball, players taking good shots. Actually faster and more fluid than what the Ws do out there.

Defense:

Nelson probably knows as much about defense as anyone. He simply doesn't bother to coach it. He hopes for great individual efforts to create turnovers. At this level defense has to be a team thing. Sure, you could assemble a team of all-star defenders and they would do pretty well out there on their own, but that is fantasy.

Gentry, in a late time-out against the Spurs, said their legacy would be in getting those important last-minute stops. And they did. I don't see that the Suns have any number of great individual defenders, but they work pretty well as a team and have made it hard on a tough Spurs team that has a number of accomplished offensive players.

Winner: Gentry.

Use of players:

Nelson leaves his starters, especially the stars, out there forever and everyone in the world knows they are exhausted and pace themselves. The Ws lose a lot of close games. Years ago, under Attles, the Ws would come from behind and beat fatigued teams. Now it is the other way around.

Don't argue about the injuries this year. It was this way even with a full bench. It is a Nelson thing.

Gentry has clearly made his bench an integral part of the team. He puts them out there early and often, playing as starters and with that mindset. And, guess what, they play well. With Nash on the floor writhing in pain, the reserves are holding the lead, doing very well indeed. Looked like they wore out the Spurs.

Coaches who don't develop and use their reserves are lazy morons. Simple as that. "Not ready to play", the mind games, the senseless benchings. That is the way a lazy coach deals with the bench. It is just easier for him to throw out the seven best guys and sit back. Lots less mental effort, cuz you don't have to think about those difficult substitutions.

And, guess what, refreshed players most of all play better defense. They get to the loose balls, they get rebounds, the get hustle points and second-chances. Hmmm, see a pattern here? Like maybe these are all weaknesses of our Ws?

There is also the matter of moral, team cohesiveness and all that intangible stuff.

Winner: Oooh, let me think.....oh, Gentry by a mile.

I could go on, but why bother. The point is that Gentry is just exactly the coach the Ws need and that whoever coaches the Ws next should be as much like Gentry as possible, not a retread, old-school eccentric guy.

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 9:51 am
Eh I rather my next coach match Phil Jackson as much as possible.

This thread is pretty useless, comparing the flavor of the month to a washed up old fogy.

Hall of Famer
» Sat May 08, 2010 10:05 am

vs

This matchup would be more fair...

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 11:48 am
Who woulda knew Nelson repped Atlanta so hard

Starting Lineup
» Sat May 08, 2010 12:05 pm
I think Nash, Amare, and Jrich have something to do with their success too...give those same guys to Nelson and Im sure he would win a lot more games too

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 12:10 pm
nickdakoolkat wrote:I think Nash, Amare, and Jrich have something to do with their success too...give those same guys to Nelson and Im sure he would win a lot more games too

This.

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 12:20 pm
Really, just add Amare to a healthy Warriors team and they make the playoffs. As far as the OPs comments on the Warriors not sharing the ball... yes before Curry was starting they weren't sharing the ball. Once Curry began starting and once Monta became more team oriented the Warriors were so fun to watch, because the entire team was pass happy.

Rookie
» Sat May 08, 2010 3:53 pm
Nellie does go to iso's a bit much for my taste when he thinks he has a matchup advantage. Aside from that I can't find anything in the OP I agree with. You could replace Nellie with "our coach" and Gentey with "their coach" and it would sound like any other team's board. Everyone always thinks their coach sucks, just like everyone thinks they could do a better job reffing, or GMing.

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 5:00 pm
Beast Mode wrote:Who woulda knew Nelson repped Atlanta so hard

lol

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 10:23 pm
floppymoose wrote:Nellie does go to iso's a bit much for my taste when he thinks he has a matchup advantage. Aside from that I can't find anything in the OP I agree with. You could replace Nellie with "our coach" and Gentey with "their coach" and it would sound like any other team's board. Everyone always thinks their coach sucks, just like everyone thinks they could do a better job reffing, or GMing.

I'd say every coach that doesn't make the playoffs gets hate, yes. But Nelly is an exception, Nellie is known for his eccentric coaching style around the league. it's not the same with him. he has a style that hasn't been working, and he sticks with it year after year.

All Star
» Sat May 08, 2010 10:24 pm
Quazza wrote:
Beast Mode wrote:Who woulda knew Nelson repped Atlanta so hard

lol

"A-town down................. bitches"

maybe its the "A" in Maui? "I'm reppin 'Aui y'all... word"

All Star
» Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am
Wow, surprising support for Nelson!

It seems obvious that Gentry has a better offensive scheme, a better defensive scheme, uses the bench far better and is not burdened with Nelson's dark side.

Has any national writer suggested that Gentry's methods look a lot like sabotage? More than one local writer has said about the same thing.

I think it is clear that if Nelson had coached the Suns they would not have been as successful as they have been under Gentry.

Franchise Player
» Mon May 10, 2010 10:25 am
carlgo wrote:Wow, surprising support for Nelson!

It seems obvious that Gentry has a better offensive scheme, a better defensive scheme, uses the bench far better and is not burdened with Nelson's dark side.

Has any national writer suggested that Gentry's methods look a lot like sabotage? More than one local writer has said about the same thing.

I think it is clear that if Nelson had coached the Suns they would not have been as successful as they have been under Gentry.

Dude, come on.........did you really expect anyone to actually read and/or comprehend that you were trying to talk about styles and efficiency, rather than players and wins.

The excuse making for Nelson, when faced with such clear arguments, has reached epic proportions now here..............which is partly why I cannot stand looking at this part of the forum anymore.

Reading "Warriors Basketball" is like listening to a Fitz and Barnett broadcast now.

All Star
» Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 am
bigstrads wrote:
carlgo wrote:Wow, surprising support for Nelson!

Dude, come on.........did you really expect anyone to actually read and/or comprehend that you were trying to talk about styles and efficiency, rather than players and wins.

The excuse making for Nelson, when faced with such clear arguments, has reached epic proportions now here..............which is partly why I cannot stand looking at this part of the forum anymore.

Reading "Warriors Basketball" is like listening to a Fitz and Barnett broadcast now.

I just stopped it when I read rookie coach....since I recall him having atleast 2 previous coaching stops, maybe more.

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 10, 2010 12:04 pm
Alvin, is a rare coach that has made mistakes, and has actually applied his knowledge to bring new insight as a coach (professional babysitter) ... just like Phillip or well regarded Pops. We just don't have a superstar at the forward position (no Gasoft, no Duncan, no Melo, no Durant, no KG, no Rasheed, no Boozer) and in a division loaded with decent coaches and a dirth of talent, means you will miss a lot of playoff games with an undermanned run and gun squad.
Team Kobe, was a bad as the Warrior's before Gasoft, which means you can't build a playoff winning team around a SG or PG. I just can't wait for the awesome squad of John Wall, Ellis and Curry set a mark for dynamic entertaining team that scores a lot but loses a lot.
Bottom line, everyone on this forum is aware of Nellie's shortcomings, but that and C-Webb rookie year being our last time with a servicable big means you got a lock to miss the playoffs with whatever coach.