How many here would want the Warriors to move to SF?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:26 pm
It's a longer BART trip from the south bay into the city. I like them where they are. I also like the Golden State name...I don't think it should change. Oakland Warriors sounds lame. And whoever suggested Trans-Bay Warriors should be banned from naming anything ever again. :mrgreen:

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:42 pm
Doesn't make sense to move to SF. There is no arena there to even remodel (they aint moving to the cow palace). The team sells out every game and any kind of winning product they'd be sold out in advance. The area is 10 YEARS OLD ffs. They are not moving no way no how

All Star
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:19 pm
keep W's in Oracle Arena....

convenience with Bart access...

btw, when the dateline W's being sale...

Role Player
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:08 pm
hell, i want them to move to san jose

All Star
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:15 pm
I think they'd sell way more tickets if they were based in SF. ppl just don't wanna f*ck with oakland. homicide capital of the bay... I'm pretty sure SJ is the second biggest city in the bay, and all they'd have to do is take the caltrain up, assuming it's next to Pac Bell. so it makes a lotta sense from a financial standpoint, but if they stay in Oakland I'm cool with that too (it's where I'm from!!!).

All Star
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 pm
first off wrote:I think they'd sell way more tickets if they were based in SF. ppl just don't wanna f*ck with oakland. homicide capital of the bay... I'm pretty sure SJ is the second biggest city in the bay, and all they'd have to do is take the caltrain up, assuming it's next to Pac Bell. so it makes a lotta sense from a financial standpoint, but if they stay in Oakland I'm cool with that too (it's where I'm from!!!).

don't they pretty much sell it out every time? Which in itself is both remarkable and ridiculous all things considered

Hall of Famer
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 pm
Quazza wrote:
first off wrote:I think they'd sell way more tickets if they were based in SF. ppl just don't wanna f*ck with oakland. homicide capital of the bay... I'm pretty sure SJ is the second biggest city in the bay, and all they'd have to do is take the caltrain up, assuming it's next to Pac Bell. so it makes a lotta sense from a financial standpoint, but if they stay in Oakland I'm cool with that too (it's where I'm from!!!).

don't they pretty much sell it out every time? Which in itself is both remarkable and ridiculous all things considered

I see that as nothing but credit to the fans of the team. Still going to see the games and supporting the franchise, even after all the years of losing, shows support from the fans. It can be seen as a stupid thing, as that can be like supporting and funding the bad decision making of the franchise FO, but it is definately a show of support from people that care to have a basketball team there

Rookie
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 pm
If they build a new arena in San Francisco, you can bet ticket prices will go way up. All the gentrified San Franciscans + all the money people from the South Bay (& Marin to lesser extent) would much rather spend time & cash in the City vs. in Oakland.
Good for revenues, good for putting a well-paid team on the court, bad for all those whose budget for W's tickets is pretty well fixed where it's at.

Oracle is a fine arena, any decent owner could make plenty of money with a decent team there, but a guy like Ellison would definitely do everything he could to get an arena built in San Francisco. (would be a lot of fun seeing Ellison vs. the SF anti-any-developmenters, that would be a serious battle royale!)

Also, whoever said the peninsula is out of space has got it backwards - there's plenty of space in San Mateo County, but the rich who live along the 280 from San Bruno down past Stanford, in collusion with the enviros, won't allow any new development - they got all that land locked up in eco-trusts, state/regional parks, and single-family/large-lot zoning and such, and so you get the Contra Costa & Alameda (Tri-valley) suburban sprawl to compensate. Limosuine libs and Gulfstream ecos, they got theirs...

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:45 pm
This is crazy talk. How does it make sense to build a new arena (where? SF doesn't have open lots everywhere) which would cost in the hundreds of millions when the net gain would only be the difference in price. Plus I'm pretty sure they'd have to cash the city of Oakland out since they kicked in when they built the new arena. There is no shortage of fan base in Oakland whatsoever. There is no reason to move

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm
AV Dawn wrote:If they build a new arena in San Francisco, you can bet ticket prices will go way up. All the gentrified San Franciscans + all the money people from the South Bay (& Marin to lesser extent) would much rather spend time & cash in the City vs. in Oakland.
Good for revenues, good for putting a well-paid team on the court, bad for all those whose budget for W's tickets is pretty well fixed where it's at.

Oracle is a fine arena, any decent owner could make plenty of money with a decent team there, but a guy like Ellison would definitely do everything he could to get an arena built in San Francisco. (would be a lot of fun seeing Ellison vs. the SF anti-any-developmenters, that would be a serious battle royale!)

the 280 from San Bruno down past Stanford, in collusion with the enviros, won't allow any new development - they got all that land locked up in eAlso, whoever said the peninsula is out of space has got it backwards - there's plenty of space in San Mateo County, but the rich who live along co-trusts, state/regional parks, and single-family/large-lot zoning and such, and so you get the Contra Costa & Alameda (Tri-valley) suburban sprawl to compensate. Limosuine libs and Gulfstream ecos, they got theirs...

the 280 from San Bruno down past Stanford, in collusion with the enviros, won't allow any new development - they got all that land locked up

280 is prime. Stadiums are never put in prime real estate areas. Just as they'd never build a stadium in Piedmont or Lafayette.
I do agree that Ellison would probably battle the City of San Francisco, that's why he talked of bringing a new NBA team to the South Bay when he got exasperated in dealing with Cohan. Fat Chance! The city has shunned Ellison a few times.

Perhaps a little off topic, but it is the offseason, and this topic really isn't about basketball per se, but I'm judging from the fan support on this board for staying in Oakland, why such support for the horribly run Warriors, and such a nose thumbing for the better run A's? The only reason Billy Beane has to fire sale every year the great talent he develops is because you Oakland fans refuse to support him. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I really don't understand why, can someone give me some insight?

Another situation in Oakland I know even less about. I have friends who are just mouth foaming fervent Raider fans, yet they can't get enough fans to come to their games to prevent TV blackouts! I do know the Raiders have been run as a bad joke. But this has been going on even before that. But why is that?.

All Star
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 pm
KC wrote:
migya wrote:
dubs089 wrote:Well they may lose the ones from Oakland but they will gain a lot more form San fran and surrounding areas. Does not matter to me. What arena wouldf we play in and would we still be called golden state

I'd prefer the team to be called Bay Area Warriors or Oakland Warriors, it gives the team more of an identity than being named after the state's nickname

this

this

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 pm
Chum wrote:
KC wrote:
migya wrote:
dubs089 wrote:Well they may lose the ones from Oakland but they will gain a lot more form San fran and surrounding areas. Does not matter to me. What arena wouldf we play in and would we still be called golden state

I'd prefer the team to be called Bay Area Warriors or Oakland Warriors, it gives the team more of an identity than being named after the state's nickname

this

this

"Oakland Warriors" reminds me of tree mites. No way!

Bay Area's fine. Let the Socal people know we don't have a special category of team for all Californians. Give them a regional title they have to defend to their lame friends. That's part of what being a loyal fan in a rival's city is all about.

Rookie
» Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 pm
First of all, no this team should not be moved. the city of Oakland needs the Warriors....losing them would be a crippling blow and would turn that comlpex into a complete graveyard with two lifeless, black-hole franchises (Raiders and A's). This team is making money....somehow....in a way that defies all logic. But they are still making money, and Oakland needs it more than SF. If and when they put together a competitive team again.....WATCH OUT. The $$$ will be pouring in.

There is no guarantee of that in SF. At first, I'm sure they will draw healthy crowds. But I don't know if they would endure the losing, season after season, the way the East Bay has. (I wonder what that says about this ardently loyal fanbase...) Somehow I doubt it. Not to mention, the chance of getting a new arena in SF is virtually impossible...if you are talking about public financing. See how much trouble the 49ers are having? The Giants were barely able to get their stadium built--and they paid for it themselves.

Speaking of the Giants....since their new park was built, there has been an influx of fair-weather fans that seem only marginally interested in the team, and are just there for the experience of eating garlic fries, sipping $12.00 beers and texting their friends......who are doing the same thing three rows down. Why is this? Because a lot of these people aren't natives (there are hardly any more left in SF), they don't bleed for the team. These people have money, but they aren't going to spend it if you put out a bad product. There is too much else to do in the city. They don't need the Warriors. The Warriors need Oakland, and Oakland needs the Warriors. They should stay.

Rookie
» Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:45 pm
I think a lot of East Bay folks here don’t realize that a lot of the hardcore Warrior fans are actually coming out from San Francisco and the Peninsula (like myself), so a move to SF would be more than welcome. Frankly, there’s nothing to do before or after the game in Oakland. Next to AT&T Park, there’s a beautiful and safe waterfront as your playground. You could easily make a day of it. That and you’d have Cal Train a couple blocks away. I’d prefer a move to SF. And one last thing…those “The City” shirts and jerseys we all have…do not refer to Oakland.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:16 pm
2 good posts here. I would agree there's no necessity to move the W's. It would be interesting to see a demographic on from where the W's are drawing their attendance. I assume there are a lot of people from 5 different counties, because I just don't see much support from Oakland for their other major franchises. One definitely stinks, but the other one has tried valiantly to put a product out but still gets no support.

But I do think it would be a setback for Oakland to lose the one franchise they support. I agree with anything that keeps prices down and that is a danger with moving to SF.