Monta Ellis Appreciation Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am
As good as Ellis is, the team needs a center a lot more. Without a real center, the team is going nowhere.

Obviously, we hope for a good trade, one for equal value. Ellis is very, very good and in a perfect world would be traded for an equally gifted center. Of course, the Ws have a history of getting absolutely nothing back and any trade discussion has to take into account which ownership group is in charge of it.

Having no real center gives Nelson clever ideas, like running Maggette in the middle.

Nelson would play a proven and well-regarded big man. Even Nelson wouldn't have the nerve to sit such a player down, there would just be too much heat. You think Ellison wouldn't have a little conversation about that?

Actually, Nelson would likely over-play the guy. I could see him playing like so many of the Warrior starters have over the years, just trying to make it through the game and having no energy left on defense.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:40 am
Yea, have to get a proper Center, as AB is just not cutting it. Do think it should be AB and the lottery pick for the mentioned bigs of the last few weeks (MGasol/BLopez/Love/AJeff). Monta should be used for someone else, like trying to get Granger, add Azu or another player to ty to do that deal

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm
carlgo wrote:As good as Ellis is, the team needs a center a lot more. Without a real center, the team is going nowhere.

Obviously, we hope for a good trade, one for equal value. Ellis is very, very good and in a perfect world would be traded for an equally gifted center. Of course, the Ws have a history of getting absolutely nothing back and any trade discussion has to take into account which ownership group is in charge of it.

Having no real center gives Nelson clever ideas, like running Maggette in the middle.

Nelson would play a proven and well-regarded big man. Even Nelson wouldn't have the nerve to sit such a player down, there would just be too much heat. You think Ellison wouldn't have a little conversation about that?

Actually, Nelson would likely over-play the guy. I could see him playing like so many of the Warrior starters have over the years, just trying to make it through the game and having no energy left on defense.

cmon man a year ago Biedrins was getting mentioned as an allstar. I don't think players skills decline that quickly. I think he looked at this post-S Jax roster, the FO dysfunction, the D-league allstars and said "screw that!" I ain't playing with these guys...

warriors don't necessarily need a center, they just need a true post presence. a guy who you could consistantly throw the ball into and get some buckets when the 3's aren't falling. think about it...when was the last time the gsw had a real post presence? Harrington? Gugliotta? Ike Diogu? nah...probably (young) Chris Webber would be the last real big man. hmm...and then the playoff draught happened to coincide with that.

this upcoming offseason happens to be one where a true post presence can be had for the right price. Boozer, Bosh, Amare, Milsap?, Al Jefferson, David West, etc...for a sign & trade?? it also is one where Monta's value is pretty high, we should get a pretty high 1st rounder, and we have enough young pieces to seriously negotiate a trade for an impact player. no one said Monta sucks. but he should be the first name out of Riley's mouth when talking to other GM's about trades.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 pm
I can't say Biedrins is fine for now, but he did have a down year. Granted, he had all those injuries going on, so he was never truly healthy. I'd reserve judgment on the guy until next season when he's back to health.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 am
i was at this game screaming "trade montas b*tch ass"

sick of him.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:39 pm
curry/ellis backcourt will be here next year unless we get a real good deal our way, but that will probably not be the case. I would NOT want to give him away for crappy expirings and cash even though CC might do just that. I doubt the new owner will allow CC to do something like that though. that will devalue his offer.
I don't know why this isn't locked..... or at least get the topic name changed. He as of right now is still part of the Warriors, so a thread named the way it is is pointless and further inflames the same damn argument everyone has been having this whole season.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:07 pm
Beast Mode wrote:i was at this game screaming "trade montas b*tch ass"

sick of him.

Honestly, I think he needs another good season or at least start of a season before he's of real trade value. I think Maggette right now would be our best trade commodity at this time.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:49 pm
F**k all this trading Monta away situations. Give him another year with Curry and let's see what can happen.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:06 pm
Pworld wrote:F**k all this trading Monta away situations. Give him another year with Curry and let's see what can happen.

Youre right man. We cant trade the 2nd best player in the NBA behind only Lebron. That would be ludicrous.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:01 am
metalface wrote:
Pworld wrote:F**k all this trading Monta away situations. Give him another year with Curry and let's see what can happen.

Youre right man. We cant trade the 2nd best player in the NBA behind only Lebron. That would be ludicrous.

Co-sign
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:21 am
Something about this thread is just WRONG!!!!

(Oh, yeah... it's Monta) :mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:09 am
TMC wrote:Something about this thread is just WRONG!!!!

Or just maybe YOU, you clearly don't know nothing about team basketball and structure and delegating of roles (Fans can be so blind).

Then they bitch and moan about the organization, the coach, and having 5 guards out at the floor. The life of a confused, frustrated, warriors fan. Tissue please.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:47 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
TMC wrote:Something about this thread is just WRONG!!!!

Or just maybe YOU, you clearly don't know nothing about team basketball and structure and delegating of roles (Fans can be so blind).

Then they bitch and moan about the organization, the coach, and having 5 guards out at the floor. The life of a confused, frustrated, warriors fan. Tissue please.

Start by watching a few games and check what happens when Monta is not playing, how the team starts playing better bball and, all of a sudden, there's ball movement.

Oh, and I haven't missed the irony of the "you clearly don't know nothing about team basketball and structure and delegating of roles" sentence applied to Monta...

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:45 am
I'm in the total middle of this debate. I think Monta is a solid player in the right lineup where he can slash and shoot, a secondary weapon that can covert more than 50% of his shots and help carry a team in the fourth. When he's the primary option and the entire offense is running through him/around him he plays like a poor man's Allen Iverson.

I'd love to see him on the Nuggets with Billups and Anthony, finding lanes and holes to fill as opposing defenses try to shut down Denver's no. 1 play maker.

As for the recent posts, I know from personal experience that attacking Monta is a great way to pick a fight with Warriorsstepup. :) We all have our guys.

I hope the Bean critics are wrong... because if they're not, we have less than I thought. Sure, Cousins could be a great NBA center... or he could not, or he could be and another team will take him with a top 3 pick. Outside of Cousins, we don't really have an obvious answer to replacing our young center.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:04 am
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:I'm in the total middle of this debate. I think Monta is a solid player in the right lineup where he can slash and shoot, a secondary weapon that can covert more than 50% of his shots and help carry a team in the fourth. When he's the primary option and the entire offense is running through him/around him he plays like a poor man's Allen Iverson.

I'd love to see him on the Nuggets with Billups and Anthony, finding lanes and holes to fill as opposing defenses try to shut down Denver's no. 1 play maker.

As for the recent posts, I know from personal experience that attacking Monta is a great way to pick a fight with Warriorsstepup. :) We all have our guys.

I hope the Bean critics are wrong... because if they're not, we have less than I thought. Sure, Cousins could be a great NBA center... or he could not, or he could be and another team will take him with a top 3 pick. Outside of Cousins, we don't really have an obvious answer to replacing our young center.

I agree with all of this, but I'd rather see Monta on the Celtics with Rondo in the backcourt :)
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball