Monta Ellis Appreciation Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:38 pm
Trade him this trade him that, he's a ballhog, broken mans iverson, blah blah blah.

He's been here for 5 years and hasn't said he wanted out. In those 5 years he had to go through life with this bullshit organization that will hopefully be sold to a better this offseason. Him + Curry best backcourt in league stat wise.

Very unappreciated, gets no respect, has fans turning on him.

Wanna know what I say? **** that. I still believe in the dude and I hope some of you do too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRkNOU00rgY[/youtube]

Can he get some love?[[/youtube]
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:20 pm
I will applaud him for some of the huge games he has and his skill of scoring, however I am NOT going to applaud him for not demanding to be traded or "having to go through life with this bullshit organization". That is what is EXPECTED of someone. This organization provides him an incredible livelyhood. Like any employee, he is free to quit, but if you dont choose that, they you are expected to be a man, shut up and do what you can to earn the salary you are being paid.

I dont dislike monta, but I think he is a poor fit for this team. The eyeball test shows we play much better with him not in there.... in general... although we have had some good momements with him in there. I dont want to get rid of him just for the sake of getting rid of him, but I think he can be used as part of a package to address some critical needs this teams has. off-guards are not hard to come by... maybe not as good as monta, but someone at least in the ballpark of production and someone hopefully that is willing to play defense other than when facing the star two guards.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:50 pm
bada wrote:I will applaud him for some of the huge games he has and his skill of scoring, however I am NOT going to applaud him for not demanding to be traded or "having to go through life with this bullshit organization". That is what is EXPECTED of someone. This organization provides him an incredible livelyhood. Like any employee, he is free to quit, but if you dont choose that, they you are expected to be a man, shut up and do what you can to earn the salary you are being paid.

I dont dislike monta, but I think he is a poor fit for this team. The eyeball test shows we play much better with him not in there.... in general... although we have had some good momements with him in there. I dont want to get rid of him just for the sake of getting rid of him, but I think he can be used as part of a package to address some critical needs this teams has. off-guards are not hard to come by... maybe not as good as monta, but someone at least in the ballpark of production and someone hopefully that is willing to play defense other than when facing the star two guards.

that first part reminded me of that Chris Rock bit... spose to do

"I take care of my kids" "I ain't never been to jail"

C Rock: you dumb motherf*cker... that's what you supposed to do!! don't act like you deserve a f*ckin medal for doing some sh*t you're suppose to do... :)
============================

Personally, when I look at the enormous crybaby egos in the NBA, I feel inclined to actually commend Monta for doing what he's supposed to do, though I see your point Bada.

I'd hate to see him go, and only think I could be ok with a trade if we got someone of equal or greater value, which I don't see happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:06 pm
If there was a comeback player of the year award, I'd definitely give it to Monta.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:04 pm
we'll see this man in a dub uni next year. book it.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:14 pm
If they draft Wall, watch them start hating on Curry, no type of loyalty.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:21 pm
loyalty left professional sports at least a decade ago.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:If they draft Wall, watch them start hating on Curry, no type of loyalty.

well any hardcore fans that are upset have my sympathy. the team sucks! It's hard to support players when they never win.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:43 pm
first off wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:If they draft Wall, watch them start hating on Curry, no type of loyalty.

well any hardcore fans that are upset have my sympathy. the team sucks! It's hard to support players when they never win.

And the reason for not winning is due to ? we all know the factor, but instead the Warriors FO has the fans going in this merry go round or negative additions of players and coaches.

Individualizing a team sport like basketball is wrong, each player should be held accountable but players can not be faulted by the weakness of a team, rebounding, defense, coaching patterns, Monta leaves there will be another scapegoat, etc etc.

I remember many predicted that Monta had a negative attitude, and would most likely lash out and that was a reason to trade him, but of course non of that happened. They branded him the #1 option but he gets paid 11 million now look around the league and tell me how many first option players make that amount ?

At the end of the day Monta has been a warrior his entire career, has improved every year, off course he needs to improve some more, and think he will. Coach needs to know how to utalize him, in the meantime if Monta leaves and Nellie still stays people think Nellie will abandon small ball give me a break, wont happen.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:46 pm
bada wrote:loyalty left professional sports at least a decade ago.

Are you referring to the handling of sports organizations and their loyalty or fan loyalty to players ?

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:01 pm
"In those 5 years he had to go through life with this bullshit organization that will hopefully be sold to a better this offseason. "

We as fans have every reason to call this a "bullshit organization" for their disastrous FO moves. But for Monta this is the organization that stood by him when he broke his contract, got injured and tried, not too ingenuously to lie his way out of it.
Shouldn't we all be as blessed to have an employer like that? Should we congratulate Monta for not pulling an Sjax, mouthing off and deliberately plummeting his value after signing a 66 million dollar contract???
This board had 2 social phenomenas this year. The first was Monta worshipping and then Curry worshipping. Monta worshipping was based largely on illusion.

If Monta was at all a victim of the FO, it was their declaring that the W's were now "Monta's team", and they'll "build a team around Monta." What a silly idea. What's happened in the last 2 months should have made Monta question his indispensability and defer more to the team. And then we hear this drivel about Monta comparing himself to Kobe and LeBron? Now it appears Monta has bought the Monta illusion and actually holds it this late in the game?.
He is the player others will pay for, yes I agree we should insist on getting fair value to the teams that need his type of talent and use the exchange to address our more immediate needs.
War Years
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
bada wrote:loyalty left professional sports at least a decade ago.

Are you referring to the handling of sports organizations and their loyalty or fan loyalty to players ?

I think all around although between Organizations, players, and fans; certainly fans are the most loyal. However I think the loyalty has become squarely on the uniform as opposed to the player. Over the last 15+ years in all 3 major sports, there is just too much player movement to really get too attached to a particular player. Gone are the days where someone plays their entire career in one uniform. And that is sad. When I was a child I formed attachments to these players and it was almost assured they would be in that uniform until they retired. You put their poster on your wall, you buy their jerseys' etc.

Now, why bother. They are usually gone in less than 5 years anyway.

Organizations are not loyal to their players or the fans for the most part. With so much money and so much on the line, teams feel they cant afford to be loyal. It has become a cutthroat business.

Same goes for the players. It is very rare a player shows any loyalty to thier team. They will go where the most money is, or if nearing the end of their career where they can win. I dont necessarily blame them... just wish that wasnt the way it was.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:22 pm
Man when did NBA become a religion we are worshiper now, I could see were fustraction comes from I mean other than the Clippers is there a worser run team.

99% of Fans have probably called this a BS organization, 99% of the media have probably called this a BS organization, the NBA looks at this organization as a joke, players look at this organization as a joke, I hope some fans are not gullible enough to think what the players say is what they truley mean.

Warriors fined Monta the 3 million, made him the "man" aka the scapegoat by trading away 2 players for nothing to show for it, its all a setup, people forget that basketball is infact a TEAM SPORT last time I checked. Right out the door this season was already going to be another one of misery and losses.

Monta leaves we get a more immdeite need but that need will not be utalized properly if Nellie is the coach, thats what majority don't understand or get, in all hope I hope they trade Monta so we could see CJ Watson replace him at the 2 spot and Maggs or Devean Geroge at the 4.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:25 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
They branded him the #1 option but he gets paid 11 million now look around the league and tell me how many first option players make that amount ?

These are the guys who are #1 options on their squads, and made comparable(most often less) money to Monta this season.

Gerald Wallace
Stephen Jackson
Chris Kaman
Hamilton
Gordon
Granger
Bogut (Redd was MIA this season)
Lee

Bogut is the only 10 million dollar man that single handedly led his team to a successful season.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:33 pm
A Curry Ellis backcourt can be very dangerous, their numbers are impressive. With a big front 3, and healthy defensive support, they could do quite well. We would need a sizable defensive minded SG to backup Ellis though if we've have any hopes of really D'ing up certain teams.

realistically evaluating a players skills assets and weaknesses is what a good fan does. I don't see it as turning on Monta or on the Warriors.
Hell, I like Monta. I know it's not the players fault that their front office sucks, so I appreciate (even more) as a fan the effort they put out on the court. The team is in disarray, may be getting sold very soon to an unknown quantity with unknown priorities/agendas. Everything is up in the air and in flux. With our current salary cap situation and if we assume that Curry is basically off the table... it's natural that Monta's name would come up in discussions as a piece that might be dealt to get another piece we need. I don't trust them to make the right deal and I like Monta.. but I don't see it as turning on him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball