Chris Bosh
17%
Carlos Boozer
8%
None! We don't need no stinking bigs!

Total votes: 12

All Star
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:30 pm
Here are the big men "difference makers" in the 2010 Free Agency Pool. Everyone knows the Warriors need either a top center, or power forward, or both if they want to compete in the playoffs. YOU are the GM. Who do you spend the big money on?

This poll assumes we tried and failed to get a good big in a trade, and we deemed Cousins, Favors etc. unsuitable for one reason or another. It's a free agent or we stay the course with what we have.

* My apologies if I left out any up-and-coming bigs that deserve consideration. These are just the big named bigs :)

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Chum wrote:Here are the big men "difference makers" in the 2010 Free Agency Pool. Everyone knows the Warriors need either a top center, or power forward, or both if they want to compete in the playoffs. YOU are the GM. Who do you spend the big money on?

This poll assumes we tried and failed to get a good big in a trade, and we deemed Cousins, Favors etc. unsuitable for one reason or another. It's a free agent or we stay the course with what we have.

* My apologies if I left out any up-and-coming bigs that deserve consideration. These are just the big named bigs :)

There is no point to this. We have NO money to spend in free agency. We only have our mid level exception. So unless you are assuming any of these players will come to this great franchise for 5.5 mil /year, then we are not getting ANYONE.

All Star
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:02 pm
bada wrote:
Chum wrote:Here are the big men "difference makers" in the 2010 Free Agency Pool. Everyone knows the Warriors need either a top center, or power forward, or both if they want to compete in the playoffs. YOU are the GM. Who do you spend the big money on?

There is no point to this. We have NO money to spend in free agency. We only have our mid level exception. So unless you are assuming any of these players will come to this great franchise for 5.5 mil /year, then we are not getting ANYONE.

Can't we trade contracts for cap room? Also, couldn't a mega-rich owner, like say Ellison, just pay over the cap and into the luxury tax?

All Star
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:51 pm
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:

Can't we trade contracts for cap room? Also, couldn't a mega-rich owner, like say Ellison, just pay over the cap and into the luxury tax?

you can only exceed the cap into luxury tax for your own players. you cannot circumvent the salary cap to sign an outside player. if that were the case, there would not be a salary cap, the NBA would be just like MLB.

» Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:22 pm
c'mon guys... most teams wont have enough money... BUT, this isn't a useless thread if you think of the sign-and-trade, which i believe will be big this off-season. So its possible that we land a big name (probable no), but possible.

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:34 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:c'mon guys... most teams wont have enough money... BUT, this isn't a useless thread if you think of the sign-and-trade, which i believe will be big this off-season. So its possible that we land a big name (probable no), but possible.

I disagree... there will be many teams will historical amount of money below the cap. Teams wont have to do sign and trades... unless of course you are giving up some SERIOUS talent.

All Star
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:37 pm
Can anyone imagine this front office pulling off a sign and trade? First we have to woo the player. Then we have to agree to pay them a lot of money. Then we have to negotiate with the other team. Too many steps the Warriors front office can not succeed at.

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:43 pm
Chum wrote:Can't we trade contracts for cap room?
technically yes. we could trade a contract to a team and not get salary in return ONLY if that team was so far under the cap they could absorb the entire contract under their cap. In return we would get an equal value "Trade Exception". However I dont see us being able to do that in time to sign a big time free agent. I think it MIGHT be possible to trade Monta for cap relief IF one of these teams that cleared out all this cap room struck out trying to lure one of these big time guys. A guy like Monta could be plan B. But then if all the good FA's are gone, why would we trade Monta for cap room. So I dont see this as a reality.

Chum wrote:Also, couldn't a mega-rich owner, like say Ellison, just pay over the cap and into the luxury tax?

Always already covered this and he is correct. you can ONLY exceed the cap to resign your own players and only if you own their bird rights. Barring a dump of Monta, Maggs, or Biedrins for pure cap space and nothing more, we will not be a factor in FA for any big name.[/quote]

» Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 pm
bada wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:c'mon guys... most teams wont have enough money... BUT, this isn't a useless thread if you think of the sign-and-trade, which i believe will be big this off-season. So its possible that we land a big name (probable no), but possible.

I disagree... there will be many teams will historical amount of money below the cap. Teams wont have to do sign and trades... unless of course you are giving up some SERIOUS talent.

true... "many"... in comparison to the past.... but most will still be over. Plus, the cap will most likely be going down, so it would be smart for players to either resign with that old team or explore a sign-n-trade. There more quality players than teams with dough.

All Star
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:41 pm
bada wrote:
technically yes. we could trade a contract to a team and not get salary in return ONLY if that team was so far under the cap they could absorb the entire contract under their cap. In return we would get an equal value "Trade Exception". However I dont see us being able to do that in time to sign a big time free agent. I think it MIGHT be possible to trade Monta for cap relief IF one of these teams that cleared out all this cap room struck out trying to lure one of these big time guys. A guy like Monta could be plan B. But then if all the good FA's are gone, why would we trade Monta for cap room. So I dont see this as a reality.

Chum wrote:Also, couldn't a mega-rich owner, like say Ellison, just pay over the cap and into the luxury tax?

Always already covered this and he is correct. you can ONLY exceed the cap to resign your own players and only if you own their bird rights. Barring a dump of Monta, Maggs, or Biedrins for pure cap space and nothing more, we will not be a factor in FA for any big name.

This is thoroughly discouraging!

There is a chance to do a sign and trade before the new season starts. The way I see it these players will have a good idea of what kind of contract they will be able to command before the new season starts. Let's take Bosh as an example. He'll get the max right? If he decides to go to another team next year it would be in Toronto's best interest to entertain any offers other teams have for Bosh. The kicker is that Bosh can simply accept a sign and trade or not, right? So the Warriors offer a group of players to Toronto that would equal the value of a max salary, Bosh agrees to it, it all happens simultaneously and now the Warrior's have Bosh.

I imagine this will be how most of the big name free agents end up with new contracts. Otherwise a team that has a top free agent, knows it will lose him, and can't get one of the others just ends up with cap room and nobody to sign. It seems like this would give the players the most control over their situation.

Bada, you seem to be the resident expert on this. Can you tell me if my scenario is correct or not?

I'll admit that the Warriors may not have a good shot at one of these players, but it seems to me they will have a better shot than many other teams, because they have Monta and they will also have a high draft pick. That's a lot to barter with.

All Star
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:44 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
bada wrote:

true... "many"... in comparison to the past.... but most will still be over. Plus, the cap will most likely be going down, so it would be smart for players to either resign with that old team or explore a sign-n-trade. There more quality players than teams with dough.

Mr. Crackerz put it more succinctly than I did, but this is what I was trying to get at :)

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:52 pm
Chum wrote:
bada wrote:

Always already covered this and he is correct. you can ONLY exceed the cap to resign your own players and only if you own their bird rights. Barring a dump of Monta, Maggs, or Biedrins for pure cap space and nothing more, we will not be a factor in FA for any big name.

This is thoroughly discouraging!

There is a chance to do a sign and trade before the new season starts. The way I see it these players will have a good idea of what kind of contract they will be able to command before the new season starts. Let's take Bosh as an example. He'll get the max right? If he decides to go to another team next year it would be in Toronto's best interest to entertain any offers other teams have for Bosh. The kicker is that Bosh can simply accept a sign and trade or not, right? So the Warriors offer a group of players to Toronto that would equal the value of a max salary, Bosh agrees to it, it all happens simultaneously and now the Warrior's have Bosh.

I imagine this will be how most of the big name free agents end up with new contracts. Otherwise a team that has a top free agent, knows it will lose him, and can't get one of the others just ends up with cap room and nobody to sign. It seems like this would give the players the most control over their situation.

Bada, you seem to be the resident expert on this. Can you tell me if my scenario is correct or not?

I'll admit that the Warriors may not have a good shot at one of these players, but it seems to me they will have a better shot than many other teams, because they have Monta and they will also have a high draft pick. That's a lot to barter with.

Bosh would be under no obligation to agree to a sign and trade. The only reason he WOULD agree to a sign and trade would be if he wants to play for a team that has no cap room.

On the flip side, Toronto is under no obligation either. When you say it is in their interest to get something for him via a sign and trade, by letting him walk they ARE getting something. Actually a LARGE something. In fact over 17 million somethings.

17 million in cap relief is HUGE. I cant imagine any package we could put together to make them pass on getting that sort of cap relief. Unless we are talking the #1 or #2 pick as part of the deal.

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 pm
Chum, by the way, the link for "Larry Coon's Cap FAQ" (on the right hand side of the forum) is a GREAT resource if you wish to learn the business side of the game.

Role Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 pm
David lee is the only guy that i see would come here come here, all of the others guys is a dream, why would and allstar like bosh and amare come to a **** hole like our team.

Role Player
» Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:54 pm
We have no chance to sign a big time player in free agency. We have no money besides the exception and no other team wants our crappy players with terrible contracts so it'll be hard to trade them.

We should have traded Monta to Memphis when we had the chance. Mayo is way cheaper and a better defender. Another stupid move by our front office.