Who's The Biggest Disappointment?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hey, I love the Warriors, but before Mullin got here, we had some pretty damn sorry decisions being made... what do you think was our worst trait, GM wise?

Picking up has-beens and giving up young talent (John Starks, Terry Cummings, Mookie Blaylock, Muggsy Bogues, ect)
3%
Trading established stars for would-be busts (Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens, Tim Hardaway for Bimbo Coles, Chris Webber for Tom Gugliotta, ect)
43%
Wasted draft picks (Vonteego Cummings, Joe Smith, Todd Fuller, ect)
43%
Vince Carter (and CASH, on top of it) for Antawn Jamison... I'm still not over that...
10%

Total votes : 30

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:08 pm
Or *shudder* Gary Saint Jean. That man knows NOTHING about basketball and we left him in charge for years... it was awful!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 pm
but at least Saint left us with J Rich, Murph and the dearly departed Arenass :!:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:07 pm
True, the departure of Arenas sucked. But if we had Arenas, we wouldn't have gotten Baron. And I love that guy Baron Davis.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:01 am
Saint Jock kept this team from developing! End of story! How this fool ever got a job in basketball seems like a mystery!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:37 am
Yeah, I too have wondered what would have happened if we'd have kept Arenas. I've come to the conclusion that we're better off.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:36 am
Been nice to have gotten something back for him

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:45 pm
Yes, but odds are we would have picked up another point guard, which would have kept us out of the race for Baron Davis. Besides, if our team was stronger, I don't think New Orleans would have given us Davis. I think the Hornets planned to dump Davis on the Warriors (and in the slight chance that his injuries miraculously healed, he'd be on a last place team in the opposite conference... miles away from making New Orleans pay for trading him). It makes sense.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:23 am
You really believe we're better off with Baron than Arenas?

The last three season of Baron's career have been cut short with injuries. I'm crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't happen again...

And I don't think the gap between Arenas and Baron is that big...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:20 am
Gilbert Arenas is just slightly worse than Baron Davis, agreed... but Gilbert never sparked the whole team the way Baron does. Baron's a leader... and a better one than Gilbert is playing for DC. Besides, Gilbert's attitude was "he wanted out of GS because he wanted to play for a winner"... Baron's attitude was "i like being the savior of this team... lets turn it around!" I'd much rather have Baron instead of Gilbert just because he wants to be here.

Gilbert didn't break 20 points a game until he got to the much easier Eastern Conference. Plus, he barely averaged 5 assists (and look at all the weapons he had)! Baron averaged 8 the whole season (not to mention the 10 a game he was getting with Golden State). I'd much rather have 20/10 from a point guard than have 25/5... Baron's stronger (30 pounds, not including the offseason muscle everyone says he picked up), unselfish (his game involves everyone, not just himself), and a proven winner.

Without Larry Hughes, how far will Gilbert get that Washington team? Meanwhile, Baron Davis has predicted (yes) 50 wins for Golden State. That's the goal. Baron sets the bar higher than Gilbert (and he delivers every game he plays, however many that is). I'd take Baron on attitude alone.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:54 am
So Arenas wanted out of GS to play for a winner and he chooses the Wizards?????

Arenas just went with the money, those comments doesn't mean anything.
If the Warriors have had the cap to pay him, he would have stayed speaking about changing the culture of losing of the team and becoming winners and all that crap...

And he was a younger, less mature player at that time. I don't think his attitude would be that bad.

You're right about the assist stat. I would also pick the 20/10 guy against the 25/5. Who wouldn't?

And, about the predictions, well, it doesn't mean anything if you can fulfill them. Arenas predicted the playoffs the year he went to the Wizards, and failed. That coulda been a lesson not to make bold predictions of something you're not sure to achieve.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:01 pm
I just think the only disadvantage Baron Davis has to Gilbert Arenas is that he's injury prone. Anything else, I think Baron Davis is better at. If Baron only tossed five assists like Gilbert and took the other 5 shots himself, he'd probably average 25 points, too. Baron Davis is just an all-around better player, in my opinion, than Gilbert Arenas (and I've thought that even when Gilbert was on the Warriors and Baron was on the Hornets). Aside from injury, what else does Gilbert have on Baron?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:39 pm
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on Baron being slightly better than Arenas, but that doesn't help while in the injured list.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm
But who would you rather have on your team? Not from a fantasy basketball perspective, just from a GM perspective. Who's the better man for the job with Warriors?

Basically, if Gilbert Arenas was the guy we traded for instead of Davis, would we have gone on that huge winning run at the end of the season?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:42 pm
Obviously, I'd pick the better player, Baron that is. I'm only saying that an injury prone player is a risk. But if he's healthy we're better off with him, no doubt.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:57 pm
He's been a definate risk, but did you see how his nagging injuries magically disappeared after he rid himself of the Hornets? I think he had a problem with the organization. Not saying he faked all those injuries; I'm just saying they probably wont take him out for half the season anymore because he seems motivated to be back (unlike in New Orleans, when he just wanted out). If Baron plays a healthy season this year, I'll forgive him for letting injuries hold him down in the past. He just needs to prove that he can't break like glass.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball