Curry's decline

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Franchise Player
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:25 am
Before I get accussed of being a "hater"... NO, I do not want to trade him nor am I saying he is not any good or is not our future

however his last 4 games or so have been pretty poor. Sloppy passes, even less effort on defense, mental mistakes, etc.

I gotta assume it is just the length of the season with Nelson over playing his minutes that has him wore down.

I know we have injuries but I would really like to see Curry's minutes reduced the rest of the season. No more than 35 min in any game. If he truly is worn down, his body is ripe for injury. You cant prevent injuries and they can occur at any time, however nothing would but a bigger stain on this already crappy season than a serious injury to our future.

Thoughts?

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:35 am
Agreed.
But Nelson wants his record, so I doubt we'll see Curry's mins limited by much.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:44 am
Money Morrow wrote:Agreed.
But Nelson wants his record, so I doubt we'll see Curry's mins limited by much.

Yep... I think he's gonna play his "starters" til he gets those wins or they can't do it anymore. Best news is that the regular season is gonna end soon...

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 am
If this is Curry hitting the rookie wall, Id still be impressed that he lasted this long since alot of "experts" were doubting his ability to last a whole season with his razor-thin body.

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 am
All of the above. I marveled that he didn't run down awhile back. Even the most ardent Nelson supporters must admit that he runs players into the ground. He did this before the record was in sight. It is just his attitude towards the game.

Role Player
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am
you guys got to remember that he still a rookie,every rookie have his low point, and this is his low point. in term of rookie , he have been very consistent, and show that he have what it takes to make it in this league.

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 am
In his game against the Jazz, to me, it looked like he was literally looking to Nelson to pull him and give him a rest. He was dragging the whole game. He hit a wall.

Franchise Player
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:00 pm
Yeah, I think the kid needs rest. This is probably his first time playing heavy minutes in an up tempo offense.

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:02 pm
Curry was killing it before his ankle injury - 35 pts 10 ast 6 rebs 2 to and 29pts 9 ast 5 reb 0 to in the two games before he got injured.

Since he has returned from his injury, he has had to face Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, and Steve Nash; not exactly the easiest matchups for him. Deron Williams is the worst matchup for him because Deron is not only bigger and stronger, but also quicker.

I got no problem with Curry playing less, but maybe his body doesn't really need it.

Franchise Player
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:15 pm
fine wrote:Curry was killing it before his ankle injury - 35 pts 10 ast 6 rebs 2 to and 29pts 9 ast 5 reb 0 to in the two games before he got injured.

Since he has returned from his injury, he has had to face Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, and Steve Nash; not exactly the easiest matchups for him. Deron Williams is the worst matchup for him because Deron is not only bigger and stronger, but also quicker.

I got no problem with Curry playing less, but maybe his body doesn't really need it.

Not looking at his stats at all.

But his passing has been SO sloppy. Forced passes, lazy passes, etc

Not playing with the same energy and seems to have even stopped trying to play defense other than trying to stick his hands in a passing lane.

I think he IS wore down by a long season.

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm
bada wrote:
fine wrote:Curry was killing it before his ankle injury - 35 pts 10 ast 6 rebs 2 to and 29pts 9 ast 5 reb 0 to in the two games before he got injured.

Not playing with the same energy and seems to have even stopped trying to play defense other than trying to stick his hands in a passing lane.

I've seen the same poor passes and less enthusiastic play that you've seen, but I just think it has more to do with bad matchups and blowout games.

Curry has bad games against physical guards. They push him around on both ends of the floor, wearing him down. Derrick Fisher got in his head and Curry started messing up in a game against the Lakers. Deron has done it to Curry multiple times this year. Baron too.

Franchise Player
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:44 pm
fine wrote:
bada wrote:

I've seen the same poor passes and less enthusiastic play that you've seen, but I just think it has more to do with bad matchups and blowout games.

Curry has bad games against physical guards. They push him around on both ends of the floor, wearing him down. Derrick Fisher got in his head and Curry started messing up in a game against the Lakers. Deron has done it to Curry multiple times this year. Baron too.

if true, then that is much more concerning to me

Rookie
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:04 pm
Curry's fine. The Jazz game was the first time this season where I say Curry look defeated. Where it looked like he lost some confidence during the game. Fortnuately, we play the Knicks next. That should be a huge confidence booster. Hopefully another 30-10-10 game.

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:10 pm
well Deron is the best point guard in the league so thats not saying much

but i do notice he does look worn out. he's a rookie though. 4 bad games towards the end of the season doesn't worry me. he'll be more accustomed to the grind next year (hopefully with Nelson gone and normal offense implemented) ... and he'll put a few lbs of muscle on his frame.

All Star
» Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:49 pm
nellie did sit him early in the utah blow out...

I agree that his passes have been off, and his defense has been meh (not that he's ever been a shut down defender) and that first quarter of the utah game was sloppy as hell, but I don't know that he's been playing awful across the board... last five games he's shooting over 50% from behind the line, and he's still averaging around well above 40% from the field. he's still above his average in points per game. He's just not playing @ super rookie levels anymore. and that's to be expected with his supporting cast.

Watson, Morrow, Williams, and Tolliver have combined for a lousy 27% from 3pt range over the last 5 (williams was 0 for 8 last game). Being that a lot of these guys can't really create for themselves (aka little slashing) - if they can't knock down shots, our offense is screwed. No postgame, No outside shooting, and a microscopic lineup is a recipe for disaster.

result - Curry's trying to do to much. not that I'm saying curry is at nash or CP3 level, but I don't think you could insert either of those two all-stars into our line and see a huge difference.

Curry should play in NOR, NYK, WAS, MIN, and LAC and that's it. either fake an injury, or have him play no more than 3 qtrs of ball.