What's the position that needs the most help?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which position needs the most improvement on the Warrior's starting 5?

Center - Adonal needs some back-up (or, better yet, lets make HIM a back-up to someone better)
81%
Power Forward - Troy and Ike are decent, but we need someone who's gonna make an impact right away
10%
Small Forward - I'm tired of waiting on Mike, Calbert's too old, and Pietrus needs more development time. We need help.
5%
Shooting guard - Jason Richardson needs a more capable back-up for when he sits down. Mickael is good, but lets look for other options.
No votes
Point Guard - ... honestly, I dunno why you'd pick this one. Baron Davis is an all-star and Fisher would start on pretty much any other NBA team without Bibby, Kidd, Nash, or someone of the like. Explain yourself for picking this.
5%

Total votes : 21

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:07 am
College is a whole lot different than the NBA... and, on top of that, his Pac-10 division last season was pretty weak. I think he's a great pick, don't get me wrong, I think he's totally capable of being a legit power forward in the league... I'm just trying to reitterate what the critics have said.

And you can't deny he's undersized. Wingspan is one thing, but the man's shorter than the other forwards he plays the floor with. Will it effect him? Probably not. But it could. That's all I'm trying to say.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:22 am
def centre our weekness,i mean common,Foyle can barely jump over the yellow pages.Id like to see Murph given a crack at it,purely for the reason Player32 said.He'd drag opposite centres out the key,as theyd have to respect his shootin,kinda the same way Boston use Lafrentz
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:43 pm
I'd rather Biedrins at starting Center but that may have to wait as he should really earn it as season goes on. My second option has always been Murphy at Center, as he is big enough, and Diogu at PF

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:19 am
I'd love to see Murph drag the centers outta the key... but that lineup would only be a change-up

Murphy can't start at center yet... not until either he learns how to block shots or Ike proves that he can in the NBA. We need a swat man inside, no matter what. Troy can mix it up inside (10 boards a game basically cements that), but until he can play big man defense, he shouldn't start the 5.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:44 am
if Diogu can block shots then the Warriors can play a team orientated defense that funnels players into Diogu if the perimeter players are not able to handle other guards all the time. Murphy is far more talented offensively and as a rebounder than any of the Centers on any of the Bulls 6 championship teams and is better than both Mohammed and Nestrovic of the Spurs!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:44 am
That's true, Murph would have his way with Luc Longly. But not when it comes to shot blocking. That's the only holdback here.

And what about games against Shaquille O'Neal or Tim Duncan? Sure, Ike can block shots from bigger men, but throwing the 6'8" rookie on the floor against Shaq's 7'1" body would be a mistake. Not only does he have a 5 inch height advantage, but he's got like a 100 pound weight advantage as well! Foyle's body comes in handy for certain games. You have to remember, using the small lineup cannot be a permanent thing! It can only be a substitution-based lineup. Starting Ike and Troy together leaves the Warriors vulnerable against the league's larger teams (ie, Miami, Detroit, San Antonio).

Ike starting would be great if the kid was 6'10" or 6'11". Say what you must about his wingspan, but the kid's undersized against the league's elite centers (and, with Murphy in the game as the other giant, it's likely Ike would get stuck guarding the big men because he can swat). Make no mistake, Ike Diogu can block shots. But he's no center. Neither is Troy, really. And, during matchups against Shaq, Tim, BWallace, Eric Dampier, or any other 7-footer, we can't have a 6'8" power forward guarding a star center. It can't happen.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:33 am
Isn't Diogu like 250 - 260 pounds? He looks so strong and able to handle many of the big men of the nba! If he shows he can block almost any inside player that other teams throw at him (except Shaq and Duncan who no team can really guard) then the team defense can be orientated around him some what

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:04 am
I'd still call him undersized... especially against the league's big men. Power forward alone is hard enough to play at 6'8"... let alone guarding centers. Lets not burden him with such expectations until he earns them.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:31 pm
He sure was a big lug

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:32 pm
He is our big man of the future it looks for now. At least he is being groomed for that right now

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:26 pm
He's probably our future power forward, with Murphy trying to adapt to play center... but that's why we haven't abandoned Adonal Foyle yet. Neither Troy or Ike can put a body or effectively defend most 7-footers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:02 am
Foyle is really a very good help defender but not so great one on one. It's up to Diogu to show that he can play the D or otherwise Foyle continues to be invaluable which is not a good thing!!!!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:00 am
Foyle can guard Shaq in one-on-one coverage! How many people can do that??? 2, maybe 3! He's great in one-on-one coverage!

Foyle held O'Neal below 20 points as a Laker against the Warriors. I was at the game. Shaq shot 30% from the field (Foyle forced him to use his hook too much) and ended up with 16 or 17 points (mostly free throws). Foyle is fine 1-on-1, so lets keep him for Duncan, O'Neal, and Amare games (bringing him off the bench the rest of the season, of course).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:50 am
How many games has Shaq scored over 30pts against Foyle..............

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:36 am
I can't recall one game, actually. Every game I've seen Foyle vs Shaq, I've seen Foyle put up a battle that a handful of centers in the NBA can do with Shaq. We didn't send Adonal help defense unless Shaq used "the black tornado" (the name of his spin move). Letting Adonal handle Shaq man to man is a big thing for any center in the league!
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball