*OFFICIAL WARRIORS SOLD THREAD*

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:44 am
Well, I think this news is rather bad for those who were hopeful for a regime change. Ellison represented "win at any cost." You take him out of the equation and this becomes a total crap shoot. We may have escaped the worst owner in all of basketball, but getting an average one (who just shelled out $450 million and needs to be in the black) isn't going to bring about the culture change we were all hoping for.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Nellie return for his final season to save the new owner $6 million (or whatever it is) in cash.

Franchise Player
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:47 am
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:Well, I think this news is rather bad for those who were hopeful for a regime change. Ellison represented "win at any cost." You take him out of the equation and this becomes a total crap shoot. We may have escaped the worst owner in all of basketball, but getting an average one (who just shelled out $450 million and needs to be in the black) isn't going to bring about the culture change we were all hoping for.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Nellie return for his final season to save the new owner $6 million (or whatever it is) in cash.

How do you know this NLSISC? I dont know anything about these guys other than both are hugely successful and have both been involved with sport franchises and are sport fans. I am interested in your insight into these two that leads you to believe they are "average" owners and dont put winning first

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:50 am
Won't lie... I wanted the 6th richest man in the world to be the new owner...

But I'm happy... And I gotta give this guy a chance...

Cheers! To the new owner!

I'm taking a shot at 1pm in the dot... Who's with me?

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am
again, one for me :)

Rookie
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:06 pm
larry ellison still remains a good business man

p.s. **** YEAH!!!

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:07 pm
bada wrote:
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:Well, I think this news is rather bad for those who were hopeful for a regime change. Ellison represented "win at any cost." You take him out of the equation and this becomes a total crap shoot. We may have escaped the worst owner in all of basketball, but getting an average one (who just shelled out $450 million and needs to be in the black) isn't going to bring about the culture change we were all hoping for.

How do you know this NLSISC? I dont know anything about these guys other than both are hugely successful and have both been involved with sport franchises and are sport fans. I am interested in your insight into these two that leads you to believe they are "average" owners and dont put winning first

I don't think there's any "know" here, other than concluding that an unknown ownership group is a crap shoot compared to what we hoped we would get from Larry "win at any cost" Ellison. Successful businessmen don't always make successful owners, especially if they hire the wrong front office. I look at the Sacramento Kings and the Maloof brothers-- a very successful business family that has struggled mightily the put a winning basketball team on the court.

I guess I did call the owners "average" which may have been a bit hasty. I suppose I'll hold off judgment until I see:

1) Who they bring in to the front office.
2) Their philosophy on taking on luxury tax to build a winner.
3) If they replace Don Nelson or keep him on to avoid paying .

Anyway, didn't mean to be a wet blanket. I'm just a little leery of announcing victory when we don't know what this ownership group is going to do with our beloved franchise.

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 pm
No Longer StuckInSoCal wrote:
bada wrote:

I don't think there's any "know" here, other than concluding that an unknown ownership group is a crap shoot compared to what we hoped we would get from Larry "win at any cost" Ellison. Successful businessmen don't always make successful owners, especially if they hire the wrong front office. I look at the Sacramento Kings and the Maloof brothers-- a very successful business family that has struggled mightily the put a winning basketball team on the court.

I guess I did call the owners "average" which may have been a bit hasty. I suppose I'll hold off judgment until I see:

1) Who they bring in to the front office.
2) Their philosophy on taking on luxury tax to build a winner.
3) If they replace Don Nelson or keep him on to avoid paying .

Anyway, didn't mean to be a wet blanket. I'm just a little leery of announcing victory when we don't know what this ownership group is going to do with our beloved franchise.

If they paid Cohan $450 mill, they'd BETTER get their butt into luxury tax.

» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:20 pm
**** this man.... the one group i didnt want buying it bought it.... these guys better not move the team. Because Ellison and Mastrov were not going to be moving this team. Peter Guber is a Vegas guy, so i hope he doesnt think about moving this team to Nevada to begin saving some money on his taxes (i.e. to make up for overspending on buying the warriors).

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 pm
holy crap. That would be the biggest backstab in sports history. But I doubt he will, he won't get the same type of market, Nevada has no die-hard fans.

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:23 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:**** this man.... the one group i didnt want buying it bought it.... these guys better not move the team. Because Ellison and Mastrov were not going to be moving this team. Peter Guber is a Vegas guy, so i hope he doesnt think about moving this team to Nevada to begin saving some money on his taxes (i.e. to make up for overspending on buying the warriors).

Mr. C, I would be shocked if Stern ever let a team move to Nevada.

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:24 pm
Yall are crazy if you think Stern is letting a team leave the bay area .. aren't we a top 5 market in the USA

Role Player
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:**** this man.... the one group i didnt want buying it bought it.... these guys better not move the team. Because Ellison and Mastrov were not going to be moving this team. Peter Guber is a Vegas guy, so i hope he doesnt think about moving this team to Nevada to begin saving some money on his taxes (i.e. to make up for overspending on buying the warriors).

Why?

Its already been heavily speculated that the Maloofs would take the Kings there. Summer League is there. Wasn't it announced that a pre-season game was going to be played there? Seems like Vegas i more of less primed to be the next NBA city.

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:29 pm
drazz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Why?

Its already been heavily speculated that the Maloofs would take the Kings there. Summer League is there. Wasn't it announced that a pre-season game was going to be played there? Seems like Vegas i more of less primed to be the next NBA city.

Pre-Season and summer leagues are completely different than a normally functioning team in or around Vegas. Stern is not going to want a team in HIS league in the gambling Mecca of the US.

All Star
» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:29 pm
damn... i'm crushed... i wanted ellison...

but hey... if the 6th richest man in the world didn't want to outbid some people i've never heard of, that gives me second thoughts about him as a owner too...

i dunno man... i just dont know...

this could mean our losing days are over, but it can also mean that our days of losing continues...

» Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:30 pm
drazz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Why?

It didn't stop new owners to move from one of the best fan bases in the Seattle Sonics to move a team to Oklahoma. Either way, even if they don't move the team, both guys are Boston Fans by nature (I.e. have ties to boston either by previous ownership or grew up fans of the team). I don't want a team with owners who are based in the Hellish team in Boston. Ellison and Mastrov are Warrior Fans. They wouldn't move the team whatsoever.