get real AR is not going to be a star

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 pm
There is just no way to tell until he gets another coach.

Obviously, Nelson is not helpful, actually destructive, and AR is clearly a space cadet.

AR would sometimes disappear completely from the TV screen, not to be spotted for a couple of possessions until he finally re-materialized from AR World or wherever he was.

Whatever AR did in the eighth grade doesn't work at this level. Boy, Golly Whee! A dunk! And at only seven feet tall. Wow! Oooh, that scowl... someday he is going to get completely clocked by some really tough guy who just can't take it anymore.

I don't think we have seen AR's best role and we won't know for awhile. The next coach will go bigger and will bring in at least one new big guy. There is no way Biedrins will be the biggest and last word at center anymore.

AR could respond to the new coach and be both a go-small four and the go-big three. That would be pretty interesting. This team as it is, with the injured returning fully intact and with just one really effective big guy, could be very interesting if the new coach is both innovative and sensible.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:19 pm
so had anyone changed their mind about randolph? I hate to say I told you so but man this guy can't even play more than 10 mins a game in d'antonis system? that system was made for him and it looks like he just doesn't get it or is not as good as everyone hyped him out to be.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm
i didnt believe in him
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 pm
still young

potential IS there.
potential isn't always fulfilled.
but his combination of size, athleticism + skills IS special.

could be a bust. could be a HOFer if he gets to a point where everything "clicks." get back to me in 2 or 3 yrs about Anthony Randolph lol.
All Star
Poster Credit: 26
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:07 pm
He has the skills, but it seemed he lacked the drive sometimes... he had passion, but I am talking about drive to do the stuff needed off the court. He is also young and I think he tries to do more then he can right now.

If I were his coach i would actually play him at Center for now. He was the most productive when he played center for us becase it limited his need to put the ball on the floor and drive and the defense wasn't as quick as he was. Get him to do one or two things really well, then once he is getting minutes expand his roles to PF, and then maybe SF... I can see him as a Odom type player who could play 3, 4, or 5. Give him time he will be a decent player. If he tries hard enough he will be a really good player.
"Hard Work Beats Talent, When Talent Doesn't Work Hard"

Image : 2010 - 2011

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 am
By all accounts AR is still drifting and disappearing out there. He seems to really believe he is a three. Coaches think he is a four and he isn't going to play that much until he actually plays like a four. He may end up wandering in the league, having a flash here and there but never really fulfilling his potential.

Look at Lee. 10X more valuable. Heck, even Adrien seems more valuable.
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:19 am
i dont think it's drive that he lacks... he simply doesn't have a grasp for the game... just because you go 110% percent on the floor doesnt mean you'll do well... it also seems like this he doesnt have a lot of finesse... we've all seen the monstrous dunks, but i dont think i remember any finger rolls, left handed layups, using the rim to protect urself from being blocked, etc... he also doesn't have the ability to pass nor create for anyone...

make no mistake tho... he has incredible physical ability, but that only takes you so far... my best advice to his is to stop settling for those mid range jump shots and start developing a drive to the basket a la j smooth
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 am
I wasn't sure if it was Randolph's head or Nellie or some combination of both that was holding him back. I think it was both, but mostly what's between Randolph's ears. You would think if he flourished anywhere it would be in D'Antoni's system and he can't even get off the bench there.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:05 am
For me D'Antiono is not a players coach remember the Nate Robinson fiasco, no more excuses for AR, the dude is talented no doubt, keep him at the 4, let him do his work inside he will be a force, he could develop into the Josh Smith type.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:11 am
You ought to hear the talk show hosts and call in people here on the east coast... they think this guy( Randolph), is a bust. They have given up on the guy already and are furious w/management for creating this deal w/ GSW!
They scream all nite no defense!!! Fire the Coach! Screw Amare... same points as DLee w/out rebounds and floor management!!Where is ANTHON? Annnnd will the Anthony deal even help this sad situation in MSG?
Get well David,
BTW: You can listen to 660AM New York (The FAN) ... it is really hillarious.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm
I liked the guy and always thought he had enormous potential. But when we made the trade, I thought we made the right move and had no regrets. Even if Randolph would go on to be a star, we needed to get an established PF rather than a tweener we hoped would eventually grow into either a SF or PF.

I think it is mostly between his head. The guy just doesn't have a great concept for team game. He was never good at picking his spots on offense, and always disrupted the flow when he'd try to make a play. That and he just makes boneheaded plays a lot that make you realize that maybe this guy was never really coached to play any 1 position properly. This makes me wonder if he'll ever be able to play any one position in the NBA properly, or just be a bench guy. I also agree with the notion that he does not have many finesse moves or a great touch with his shot. His shot was often flat when he would shoot midrange.
Get Money. Get Paid.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:37 pm
D'Antoni was one of the worst coaches for Randolph to fall under. He doesn't coach up dumb players, he has surprisingly strict offensive rules, and he is always in a win-now mentality.

In his system, the PG runs pick and rolls, the SG scores, the SF makes himself available to passes, the PF sets the picks then rolls (or pops), and the center focuses on defense. Randolph doesn't have the shot to play SF, he's not a skilled enough scorer to play the PF, and he won't accept the boring role of defender. Nowhere for him to go in NY at the moment.

Combine the above with what I have always thought was his Andrei Kirilenko ceiling, and I would say AR is still not going to be a star.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:06 am
did you guys catch the AR highlight the other game? this guy made another boneheaded play with some retarded goaltend and d'antoni benched him immediately. this guy just doesn't get it,

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:14 am
fine wrote:D'Antoni was one of the worst coaches for Randolph to fall under.

LOL. how many time are we going to say this?first nelly, now this guy. you got to earn your keep, no matter where you are.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 14
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 am
I remember Brandan Wright being compared to Chris Bosh while he was at North Carolina. Bosh is one of my most overrated/overpaid players in the league. He's a horrible rebounder from the power forward position. He's not a back to the basket guy and will shoot jumpers/fadeaways all day. He's not going to block shots and is just an average defender at best so being compared to Bosh isn't exactly a good thing, in my eyes. Wright could be more of a Theo Ratliff type person. Limited offensive game but will rebound and block some shots.

As for AR, I still think he's going to be a player in the future. I think everyone forgets that the kid is still only 21 years old. Guys that are 6'11 and can handle the ball, even in this era, are still rare. He's not a Chris Bosh or even Zach Randolph type player. He's a Lamar Odom. A guy that isn't going to be the main guy on your team but will do many things that help his team win. Just ask the Lakers.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball