Nationally Televised

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 pm
Just an observation: two nationally televised games in one week for the team with the 3rd worst record in the league. Is there any explanation besides the obvious - it's all about Stephen Curry. The NBA sends him instead of the more deserving (and less well known, darker skinned, less photogenic - i.e. less marketable) Morrow to AllStar weekend, and a few weeks later we're on ESPN and then TNT.

I love the kid, and I get what's going on, and I bet it bugs the snot out of him too (that's why he tried to give his slot to Morrow), so I can't really put my finger on it, but it just doesn't seem right. Perhaps someone would like to expand on this.

And speaking of Morrow, anyone want to help with the final line:
To-Morrow, To-Morrow, please pass it to-Morrow, he's only a three away.
(ripped from the Annie song)
...or maybe get crazy and switch-up all the lyrics :)
...and then let me steal it and use it as my sig :mrgreen:

All Star
» Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 pm
I'm pretty sure that the national televised thing is because even though the Dubs suck, they can still be entertaining to watch. If you read alot of sports writers that arent from the bay they will say that this team has alot of talent and promise and are really entertaining, even if it doesnt amount to wins.

As far as Curry getting selected ahead of Morrow for the 3 point shootout; I dont think it is because of race or looks. Curry was one of the bigger stories going into the last draft, before that he was the only reason that Davidson was getting steady attention from the national media. He is a player that the NBA has high hopes for as a marketing tool. As much as I love Morrow, he will never be a type of player that will draw people to the games, if Curry can keep improving he will be one of those player.

Its that simple: Curry was way higher profile than Morrow coming into the leauge and he always will be unless Morrow becomes a 25, 5 and 5 player and Curry never reaches his potential.

Rookie
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 am
Right, I get the backstory, my kid sister in her 20s from back east is in love with him and became a W's fan just because of him.
And yes, we've gotten more than our share of national games over the past few years than our record deserved because of our 'brand of basketball' -- but before this week, we have been on only one other national game this season - the Wizards game months ago.
So, part of what I'm trying to say is that I'm bitter that the NBA took Steph over Morrow and I'm bitter that national media types want Monta the **** out of Golden State because they think Monta's impeding the progress of their precious Stephen and they just can't have that.

But I'm also grateful as hell to Steph and like I said I think, based on what I've seen of his humble and classy demeanor, that even Steph is embarrassed by this.

But the bigger story is, we got ourselves a National Star. Not every team has one. It's something. This is what I meant by expanding upon my initial post ... but I did misplace the emphasis by putting it on my bitterness (which is more a pet peeve than anything).

Franchise Player
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:07 am
Dont know whether I mentioned this before.............but when I went to the HOF last month, they had a HUGE section dedicated to Steph and his exploits and Davidson.

A big board with alot of talk and numbers about the "fairy tale" nature of the run they had, a big picture of him and even his jersey hung up there.

So the kid has alot of media pull and interest just from that.

As far as the recent change in showing us on Nat. TV...............I think its more to do with the ROY debate, I mean its been on quite a few shows about the "Evans vs Curry" debate, so people have got to see Steph to make their minds.............and given how hes played recently (compared to him not making much noise in a huge way earlier in the season) then I would think thats why people are now wanting to see us.

Also, the Morrow "dark skinned, less marketable" thing than "GQ Boy" (JackAttacks name for him :wink:)..............well, Morrow was also shunned for the 3 point comp last year remember, when he was even more deserving and not coming off an injury.

Rookie
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm
Good points Bigs.
I just have to come to terms with the fact that Steph is a huge blessing to the Warriors and let the rest of it go.

I've basically have been a W's fan since Monta's rookie year (really, part of the season before) and to see his yearly improvement, and to see the year he's having, and rather than get cred for it, he's getting all sorts of labels that just bug me on a personal level - people saying he's a selfish/non-team player, that he's just hindering Steph's development, that he's an inefficient, volume shooter, that 'well, somebody's gotta score the points even on a bad team,' the beating to death of the 'we can't play together' quote from pre-season, yada yada and I just wonder why all the hating on Monta. But, my sis identified it correctly, I have a mancrush on the dude, simple as that, and so I probably am just being overly defensive.

With Morrow, he didn't go to the 3pt shootout last year cause he was an unknown and a rookie (but he did have a marketable story, if they were interested), and this year he didn't go to the 3pt shootout because of a rookie. oh hell. And, I hear the national guys saying negative stuff about him - making fun of his challenge to Reggie Miller after the preseason game against the Suns and making fun of Nelson's saying that Morrow is the best pure shooter he's ever coached.

So hey, Steph's the Golden Boy of the Warriors (not a label I think he wants, but it is what it is), with the fairy tale college background (imagine if he had stayed for four years!!! oh wait, Morrow did!) and the son of a former pro, and Monta and Morrow are the blue-collar / wrong-side-of-the-tracks / better-not-date-my-daughter types (to them, whereas they'd love for Steph to date their daughter)

I want to see them all as Warriors for many years. I just hope dynamics such as this don't interfere with that.

All Star
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:33 pm
I believe the reason for Morrow not going to the 3 pt contest THIS year was the fact he doesn't take a high volume of shots.....sorta screwed up...

All Star
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 pm
wouldve taken more than Channing "Yay Im Playing the Warriors" Frye though surely?

Role Player
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 pm
I hate how all the talk is about Stephen Curry, like when they keep reminding that the second game is GS vs DEN they keep saying curry this, curry that. Monta is 6th in the league in scoring for pete's sake. Monta get's no love nationally smh.

Role Player
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 pm
I'm going to say that Curry was invited to the 3-point contest (over Morrow, or whoever) mostly because he was already going to be at the All Star Weekend for the Rookie-Sophomore game.

I think if he's not in that game, there's really no way he's invited to the 3-Point contest.

Franchise Player
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm
Pworld wrote:I hate how all the talk is about Stephen Curry, like when they keep reminding that the second game is GS vs DEN they keep saying curry this, curry that. Monta is 6th in the league in scoring for pete's sake. Monta get's no love nationally smh.

Well I think that is in part because if you took a poll of every GM, I dont think you would find one that would choose Monta over Curry if they were starting a team.

All Star
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:28 pm
It's one thing to give a shout out to the gays, but it's another thing to fill your arena with [*deleted by bada*]. This is overdoing it. Honestly, I don't mind being around gay people. But when the event makes me feel like the equivalent of going to a gay bar, I don't wanna be there.

I'm loaded.

All Star
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:08 pm
Pardon me if I'm way off, but don't they decide the TV schedule before the season starts?

Franchise Player
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm
Beast Mode wrote:It's one thing to give a shout out to the gays, but it's another thing to fill your arena with [*deleted by bada*]. This is overdoing it. Honestly, I don't mind being around gay people. But when the event makes me feel like the equivalent of going to a gay bar, I don't wanna be there.

I'm loaded.

Beast, not cool. Please refrain from posts like that in the future.

Rookie
» Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 pm
first off wrote:Pardon me if I'm way off, but don't they decide the TV schedule before the season starts?

most games are scheduled before the season...though there is some degree of maneuvering done from time to time, it seems, especially towards the end of the season and networks will switch a crap or meaningless game for a more compelling/important one. i have a hard time believing ESPN or TNT did such a thing with these last two.

All Star
» Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:47 am
drazz wrote:I'm going to say that Curry was invited to the 3-point contest (over Morrow, or whoever) mostly because he was already going to be at the All Star Weekend for the Rookie-Sophomore game.

I think if he's not in that game, there's really no way he's invited to the 3-Point contest.

Ummmm, Morrow was in the rookie-sophomore challenge.