Curry is SOOOOO GOOOOOD

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:08 pm
Curry's quick release reminds me of Chris Jackson. Remember him? The kid that changed his name to Abdul Rauof. Out of LSU. He had a very good NBA career until he refuse to put his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance. This guy was a dynamic scorer too in college. he was the star right before Shaq. I think they played a year or two together. I could be wrong there.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm
The Coooach wrote:Passing up Jordan because you had Drexler was not a blunder at all. Drexler was a hell-of-a player. Everyone would have done that with a Drexler in hand with a potential (Jordan) in the bush. they both played the same position and was somewhat the same size. The mistake was taking Bowie instead of Jordan.

Not sure what you mean? That is what I was saying. They passed on the guard because they had Drexler, Darnell Valentine, and Jim Paxon at guard.

Was comparing that to passing on Wall because you already have Curry. Just trying to say that GM's are risk adverse mostly because they dont want history to remember them as the person that passed on "Jordan"

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm
bada wrote:
The Coooach wrote:Passing up Jordan because you had Drexler was not a blunder at all. Drexler was a hell-of-a player. Everyone would have done that with a Drexler in hand with a potential (Jordan) in the bush. they both played the same position and was somewhat the same size. The mistake was taking Bowie instead of Jordan.

Not sure what you mean? That is what I was saying. They passed on the guard because they had Drexler, Darnell Valentine, and Jim Paxon at guard.

Was comparing that to passing on Wall because you already have Curry. Just trying to say that GM's are risk adverse mostly because they dont want history to remember them as the person that passed on "Jordan"

I must have misunderstood what you said. I thinkI still do. TH GM that passed on Jordan because he had Drexler is not getting any flack I don't think.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm
The Coooach wrote:
bada wrote:

I must have misunderstood what you said. I thinkI still do. TH GM that passed on Jordan because he had Drexler is not getting any flack I don't think.

I am saying that that GM made a huge mistake not selecting Jordan and going for the big guy because he felt the bigger need was a big since they already had Drexler.

Dont pass on a once a decade type player because it does not fit a need.
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm
Chum wrote:
migya wrote:Hey, good performance by Curry, but one game isn't everything. He has played great for a couple of weeks or so definately, if not longer, but consistency is the key if he is to be untouchable for trades

I'm going to pull a Coooach here and toot my own analysis horn on Curry. I think I've missed maybe three Warriors games this season. Curry didn't need to have this kind of game to convince me of his dominance. Curry didn't need to have this kind of game to convince me that he was/will be a special point guard. JUST WATCH THE GAMES, NOT THE BOX SCORES!!!

Curry's court awareness has been superb from the begining. He had a lot of turnovers because he was a ROOKIE PG!!! Of course he is going to have a lot of turnovers. The speed of the game alone is going to cause this to happen to a rookie PG, regardless of his talent level.

Curry is very quick, has amazing court awareness and over the top hand-eye coordination. He footwork is veteren like, and he already has the confidence needed to make him a top level player.

I've been saying, in multiple posts and in multiple ways, that us getting the #1 draft pick will be problematic. John Wall would need to pan out as a 2 guard, which I think he can, but he really isn't needed since we already have a sure thing at PG. It isn't worth trading Curry if we win the John Wall lottery. We'd be better off trading the pick.

btw we shouldn't trade for Chris Paul for the same reason. I think Chris Paul is awesome, but Curry IS all we need at PG. I'll give you that he's not as good as Chris Paul yet, but he certainly looks like he'll be as good. Curry's game looks more like Nash's than Paul's but excellent none the less.

I'm not directing this entire rant at you Migya. I agree with your posts more often than anyone else's on this board. You definetly understand what makes a team good or bad. BUT there is too much judgment made on boxscores here and not enough made on actually watching the players play.

I admit I don't watch many of the games at all, but do watch parts of them when I can get the footage, and basically go by Boxscores, Recaps and what others on here say, and they watch the games, so I get a very good picture painted.

Curry seems to be doing well as a distributor and that really was the bigest need for the team when the season began, so to be honest, he seems to have filled that need enough right now. Curry does have very good scoring ability, especially that outside shooting abiity of his, which at times can be such a strength, that really you feel that he can score from out there almost anytime, though that is not every game to say the least that he is hot like that, like most nba players.

What needs to be seen is that Curry has had great games lately with the team decimated by injuries, so he had the ball in his hands as much as he wanted, in fact he had to have the ball in his hands. I want to see him and the rest of the players perform when most if not all are healthy, then we'll see exactly what he can do night after night and how that affects the team winning or not.

As for the comparison of Curry to Paul, there can definately be a comparison, but to me, you always go for the sure thing WHEN you have fallen short of improving and being a winner for so many years. You can't be picky, you have to strike when you can and if the chance of getting Paul was there, either for Monta and someone or Curry and someone, you do that immediately, no second thoughts.

As for getting Wall if we get the #1 pick, as Bada said, you have to trade either of Monta or Paul at least, I think even both. I really do believe Wall is so heralded, so desired, that almost all GMs would give a truck load to get him.

My trade wants for the team, trade dreams some might want to call it, are the following:

Monta and Morrow for Paul. You get the PG for now and the future, player that makes others better, player that is proven to raise a team to being a winner somewhat, and a player that many other good players would like to play with, meaning this fuked team could be attractive again, at least a bit more, like that lower high school semi-pig that started using makeup and being a little skimpy in late high school and at least got some attention.

Maggette and AB for AJefferson, Sessions and CBrewer. You get the star big that has done less than he has in the recent past this season, maybe because he came off a pretty serious injury, and a star big that was shppoed anyway recently and who his current team wants to build around the other good big they've got, KLove. You get a backup PG that could also fit in real well in Sessions and you get the SG/SF to replace Maggette, in CBrewer, not a star by any means but a good allround player that might improve to the point where he is AK/Battier like. They get AB, who has been a very good big in the past (hopefully they think this season was just an injury filled mess for him), to pair with Love. Maggette is the semi-star that did great this season and blends in well with their other players. You can build around AJefferson as well as Paul.

Curry and BW for WChandler and Gallinari. Knicks get Curry, who they salavated over in the draft and thought they were going to get. Lebron really liked Curry and that would increase their chances of getting him if they got Curry. WChandler is not great, but he's good and pretty allround, he could be starting SG next to Paul. Gallinari is not that good, but he is a great outside shooter and would be a spark off the bench.

Lineup:
PG - Paul/Sessions
SG - WChandler/Azu
SF - Azu/Gallinari
PF - AR/Tolliver(maybe)
C - AJefferson/Turiaf

Add to that another three guys to round out the roster, maybe resign Watson and Bell for cheap, if they wants to stay.

THAT'S NOT COUNTING THE DRAFT PICK, be it Wall or someone else. Can make a trade or put one of either WChandler or Azu on the bench and have Wall starting at SG next to Paul
Last edited by migya on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:41 pm
Honestly at this point I wouldn't at all mind drafting Evan Turner to pair up with Steph.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:44 pm
bada wrote:
The Coooach wrote:
bada wrote:

I am saying that that GM made a huge mistake not selecting Jordan and going for the big guy because he felt the bigger need was a big since they already had Drexler.

Having Jordan at SG and Drexler at SF would have been the best setup for that team! What idiotic move that was, though I don't know whether Bowie was that great in college and if he was, really understandable then, but Jordan was a sure thing to be a star at least and they should have gone for him

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:44 pm
David Wood wrote:Honestly at this point I wouldn't at all mind drafting Evan Turner to pair up with Steph.

While I think Turner is a FANTASTIC player, I am not sure he is the best fit with Curry. Turner is someone that is at his best when he has the ball in his hands and is initiating the offense. Not working off the ball. From the times I have seen Ohio St play, this is where he thrives. Almost a point forward type.

As we have seen, Curry is best when he has the ball and initiates. This is why I think Wesley Johnson is the best fit in terms of swing men. I think Turner is the more dynamic player, but Johnson the better fit.
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 pm
migya wrote:
bada wrote:
The Coooach wrote:
bada wrote:

Having Jordan at SG and Drexler at SF would have been the best setup for that team! What idiotic move that was, though I don't know whether Bowie was that great in college and if he was, really understandable then, but Jordan was a sure thing to be a star at least and they should have gone for him

He was no more sure of a thing coming out than Kevin Durant.....wait the Blazers left him on the board also!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 pm
migya wrote:
Chum wrote:
migya wrote:Hey, good performance by Curry, but one game isn't everything. He has played great for a couple of weeks or so definately, if not longer, but consistency is the key if he is to be untouchable for trades

I'm going to pull a Coooach here and toot my own analysis horn on Curry. I think I've missed maybe three Warriors games this season. Curry didn't need to have this kind of game to convince me of his dominance. Curry didn't need to have this kind of game to convince me that he was/will be a special point guard. JUST WATCH THE GAMES, NOT THE BOX SCORES!!!

Curry's court awareness has been superb from the begining. He had a lot of turnovers because he was a ROOKIE PG!!! Of course he is going to have a lot of turnovers. The speed of the game alone is going to cause this to happen to a rookie PG, regardless of his talent level.

Curry is very quick, has amazing court awareness and over the top hand-eye coordination. He footwork is veteren like, and he already has the confidence needed to make him a top level player.

I've been saying, in multiple posts and in multiple ways, that us getting the #1 draft pick will be problematic. John Wall would need to pan out as a 2 guard, which I think he can, but he really isn't needed since we already have a sure thing at PG. It isn't worth trading Curry if we win the John Wall lottery. We'd be better off trading the pick.

btw we shouldn't trade for Chris Paul for the same reason. I think Chris Paul is awesome, but Curry IS all we need at PG. I'll give you that he's not as good as Chris Paul yet, but he certainly looks like he'll be as good. Curry's game looks more like Nash's than Paul's but excellent none the less.

I'm not directing this entire rant at you Migya. I agree with your posts more often than anyone else's on this board. You definetly understand what makes a team good or bad. BUT there is too much judgment made on boxscores here and not enough made on actually watching the players play.

I admit I don't watch many of the games at all, but do watch parts of them when I can get the footage, and basically go by Boxscores, Recaps and what others on here say, and they watch the games, so I get a very good picture painted.

Curry seems to be doing well as a distributor and that really was the bigest need for the team when the season began, so to be honest, he seems to have filled that need enough right now. Curry does have very good scoring ability, especially that outside shooting abiity of his, which at times can be such a strength, that really you feel that he can score from out there almost anytime, though that is not every game to say the least that he is hot like that, like most nba players.

What needs to be seen is that Curry has had great games lately with the team decimated by injuries, so he had the ball in his hands as much as he wanted, in fact he had to have the ball in his hands. I want to see him and the rest of the players perform when most if not all are healthy, then we'll see exactly what he can do night after night and how that affects the team winning or not.

As for the comparison of Curry to Paul, there can definately be a comparison, but to me, you always go for the sure thing WHEN you have fallen short of improving and being a winner for so many years. You can't be picky, you have to strike when you can and if the chance of getting Paul was there, either for Monta and someone or Curry and someone, you do that immediately, no second thoughts.

As for getting Wall if we get the #1 pick, as Bada said, you have to trade either of Monta or Paul at least, I think even both. I really do believe Wall is so heralded, so desired, that almost all GMs would give a truck load to get him.

My trade wants for the team, trade dreams some might want to call it, are the following:

Monta and Morrow for Paul. You get the PG for now and the future, player that makes others better, player that is proven to raise a team to being a winner somewhat, and a player that many other good players would like to play with, meaning this fuked team could be attractive again, at least a bit more, like that lower high school semi-pig that started using makeup and being a little skimpy in late high school and at least got some attention.

Maggette and AB for AJefferson, Sessions and CBrewer. You get the star big that has done less than he has in the recent past this season, maybe because he came off a pretty serious injury, and a star big that was shppoed anyway recently and who his current team wants to build around the other good big they've got, KLove. You get a backup PG that could also fit in real well in Sessions and you get the SG/SF to replace Maggette, in CBrewer, not a star by any means but a good allround player that might improve to the point where he is AK/Battier like. They get AB, who has been a very good big in the past (hopefully they think this season was just an injury filled mess for him), to pair with Love. Maggette is the semi-star that did great this season and blends in well with their other players. You can build around AJefferson as well as Paul.

Curry and BW for WChandler and Gallinari. Knicks get Curry, who they salavated over in the draft and thought they were going to get. Lebron really liked Curry and that would increase their chances of getting him if they got Curry. WChandler is not great, but he's good and pretty allround, he could be starting SG next to Paul. Gallinari is not that good, but he is a great outside shooter and would be a spark off the bench.

Lineup:
PG - Paul/Sessions
SG - WChandler/Azu
SF - Azu/Gallinari
PF - AR/Tolliver(maybe)
C - AJefferson/Turiaf

Add to that another three guys to round out the roster, maybe resign Watson and Bell for cheap, if they wants to stay

I do like your thinking and effort on this one (and I know how much you want Paul:P) buit Chandler isn't a sg
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 pm
The Coooach wrote:Curry's quick release reminds me of Chris Jackson. Remember him? The kid that changed his name to Abdul Rauof. Out of LSU. He had a very good NBA career until he refuse to put his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance. This guy was a dynamic scorer too in college. he was the star right before Shaq. I think they played a year or two together. I could be wrong there.

I remember Chris Jackson/Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. He was awesome, just a great shooter unlike many I've seen, but he should have had a better career than he had. Had like 50 something points in a game in his one and only season in college. Left just before Shaq arrived there, but had he had stayed, what a duo

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 pm
migya wrote:
The Coooach wrote:Curry's quick release reminds me of Chris Jackson. Remember him? The kid that changed his name to Abdul Rauof. Out of LSU. He had a very good NBA career until he refuse to put his hand over his heart for the pledge of allegiance. This guy was a dynamic scorer too in college. he was the star right before Shaq. I think they played a year or two together. I could be wrong there.

I remember Chris Jackson/Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. He was awesome, just a great shooter unlike many I've seen, but he should have had a better career than he had. Had like 50 something points in a game in his one and only season in college. Left just before Shaq arrived there, but had he had stayed, what a duo

always think back to NBA Jam Session

"Jackson, 1 second, FOR THE GAME........ YEAH!!"
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:50 pm
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:
Chum wrote:

Lineup:
PG - Paul/Sessions
SG - WChandler/Azu
SF - Azu/Gallinari
PF - AR/Tolliver(maybe)
C - AJefferson/Turiaf

Add to that another three guys to round out the roster, maybe resign Watson and Bell for cheap, if they wants to stay

I do like your thinking and effort on this one (and I know how much you want Paul:P) buit Chandler isn't a sg

WChandler does play some SG, but hey, Azu is a sG then :wink:

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:51 pm
Again, no way NO trades Paul for Monta and Morrow. Why would they trade an elite PG for two SG's?

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:43 pm
I'll keep saying it: no trades until the new owner/coach takes over. Nothing good can happen without that restriction.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball