OFFICIAL Warriors 2010 Draft thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:06 pm
Sorry, I didn't know which forum to put this in, but it does have to do with warriors basketball. Anyways, I know it's very early for this, but the only real exciting thing going on right now in Warriors land is the prospect of getting a top draft pick and landing one of next year's top talents. This thread is to discuss our biggest needs and those players you think could fulfill those needs. For those of you who don't watch NCAA, videos and scouting reports can be found here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

I'm sure most people here by now have seen or at least heard of John Wall. This guy looks like he could be a superstar in the NBA. He is crazy athletic and a very good passer/penetrator who has already shown he can be THE MAN for his team. If we get the number one pick next year, would you draft John Wall (another guard ) or draft a position of need? Like Derrick Favors (PF) from Georgia Tech or Ed Davis (PF) from North Carolina, who both look like they could be solid PFs in this league. Or should we try to grab the best SF prospect? Either way, we should be in a good draft position next year to grab an impactful player.

The choice would depend largely on what our roster looks like at the end of the year (will Ellis and or Randolph still be here?). Regardless, if we get a top pick, I personally would take John Wall (will probably require #1 pick) and trade one of our guards. I think with the mess of a roster we currently have you draft the best overall player and trade some of our superfluous talent at his position, as no one on this roster seems untouchable.

What do you all think? Who would you take in 2010 given your choice of everyone?

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:10 pm
if you get the number 1 pick, or hell any pick in the top 5-10, you NEVER draft for need. Ask the Trailblazers...

You take John Wall, every time

Role Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:56 pm
John Wall is the best prosect to come out the draft since LeBron James, IMO. Or at least, he's my favorite prospect since James. If we had a shot to take him and didn't do it, I would never be able to watch the Warriors again.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:15 am
Yeah, this year, if you get the #1 pick, you gotta take Wall. If you have the #2 pick, you gotta take Favors. If you have the #3 pick, you gotta look for a trade...

Starting Lineup
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:32 am
Too bad Wall can't play small forward.

Not that any SF would actually play his position with Nellie here. Instead, our hall of fame coach would elect to convert that player into a 4 and then delegate all of our fours to center or the bench, further delegating all of our actual fives, along with anybody that can rebound and play defense straight to the bench.

I have wanted the Dubs to work something out involving Monta Ellis and Gerald Wallace before the deadline this year, but honestly I don't know if that is a good idea. Nellie would likely play Wallace at the four, further jerking with Anthony Randolph's minutes, citing that he can rebound so obviously he is naturally a four or five regardless of his height (and further implying that this is obviously a genius move that nobody noticed before him).

I am in a bad mood about the Warriors this morning :banghead:

Starting Lineup
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:19 am
Quazza wrote:if you get the number 1 pick, or hell any pick in the top 5-10, you NEVER draft for need. Ask the Trailblazers...

BOOM!

All Star
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:34 pm
Quazza wrote:if you get the number 1 pick, or hell any pick in the top 5-10, you NEVER draft for need. Ask the Trailblazers...

I'm not saying we shouldn't draft Wall if we have the opportunity, but I'll play devil's advocate to your statement...

As good as talent scouts are, nobody can truely predict who the best player in the draft will be. When you get into the top 5, or even top 10, it's a guessing game. They are all talented. Some just turn out better.

If the Warriors are looking at 5 different players they like, I say take the one that can play center or power forward. We have too many little guys.

All Star
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:59 pm
If the Dubs do have the opportunity to draft Wall they should.

And then Nellie would keep him and Curry and Ellis and start all three of them.

» Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:10 pm
metalface wrote:If the Dubs do have the opportunity to draft Wall they should.

would that mean C.J. Watson would be moving to the 4 slot?

All Star
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:46 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Christ, can we then bring Mugsy Bogues out of retirement and have him play center?

Maybe I'm looking at the Warriors all wrong. Maybe we should be going smaller. Five PGs as a starting lineup!?!?!

All Star
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:54 pm

x2. no doubt. yes.

if we had the #1 pick, i imagine nelson and cohan would pass on wall and draft donatas motiejunas.

Starting Lineup
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:36 pm
KC wrote:

x2. no doubt. yes.

if we had the #1 pick, i imagine nelson and cohan would pass on wall and draft donatas motiejunas.

Hell no. They would love another guard. We would probably release Ronny Turiaf to make room for him.

Rookie
» Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:25 pm
The Dub will not win the lottery in a year when the #1 pick is a franchise player...they'll only hit #1 when the Joe Smith's of the world are there.

All Star
» Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:41 am

ESPN had an article with a quote from an NBA GM... [paraphrased] "even New Orleans would draft John Wall if they had the chance. John Wall is that good".
Last edited by first off on Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Role Player
» Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:44 am
Chum wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Christ, can we then bring Mugsy Bogues out of retirement and have him play center?

Maybe I'm looking at the Warriors all wrong. Maybe we should be going smaller. Five PGs as a starting lineup!?!?!

Well if not Mugsy, Nate Robinson does want to be traded . .

hummbabybear wrote:The Dub will not win the lottery in a year when the #1 pick is a franchise player...they'll only hit #1 when the Joe Smith's of the world are there.

So true, so true.