3rd Qtr's.......Why/What/Who........Your Thoughts.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Franchise Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 am
Now we have been a complete bag of sh*t 3rd Qtr team for along time............most notably since Nelson's return.

And I just noticed this stat for the season =

Golden State has now been outscored in the third quarter 17 times this season, and is 1-16 in those games.

Seriously? 1 and 16! which means we are 6 and 4 when we outscore the opponent in the 3rd!!!............bit of a disparity huh?

What the hell is it then about 3rd Qtr's that we just cannot handle?

For me, here are 2 very simple things that I feel playing well in the 3rd Qtr depend on =

1 - Keeping the players motivated and ensuring they dont get, ahead of themselves if things are going well/down on themselves if things are going bad.

2 - Make sure adjustments are made to counteract whatever was going wrong in the first half.

Why does that sound so simple? and why do I think that none of that really happens...........or at best, the players just dont care/listen.

I mean why is that teams who have good coaches play well in 3rd Qtr's? is there a coincidence here?

Ok, too many questions from me.............you guys go.

Ps: Seriously though, there is more too it this than just "Ohh, we are a poor 3rd Qtr team"............there has to be and IS a reason for this.

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:16 am
lack of experience and leadership

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 am
it's very possible that we are REALLY easy to figure out and teams just make all the necessary adjustments

Franchise Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:35 am
Yeah...........but we were a terrible 3rd Qtr team (not to this scale) when we had vets and leadership here.

Also, I dont buy the figuring us out thing.............because what is there to figure out? its not like we really run anything or are predictable in any way.

The predictability comes when players just come down and launch a 21 second shot clock contested jumper............and that isnt about the defense adjusting, its about accountability and discipline...........which come from and are installed by whom?

Im sorry, I know I blame so much on Nelson.............but I just see through his bull sh*t and see so many fundamental things that are wrong with this team and our players as a whole, spawn out of the fact they play for a fundamentally flawed coach who preaches nothing along the lines of what is required to be an efficient, well balanced, disciplined, good, winning basketball team, or player.

I mean, its like, you look at every single key factor that it takes for a team to win and a player to be a success.............and Nelson preaches/teaches/practices the absolute opposite...........and it shows in his accomplishment-less HUGE career.........with only really the players to thank for his "accomplishments".

Im just getting really f*cking sick of watching him do what I believe he does............and just get away with it, and no-one holds him accountable (from the front office side I mean) whilst other coaches go to the bread line for so much less than the total destruction he is having on our team and every single one of players now, and in the bad habits and poor mental attitudes they will carry with them moving forward in their careers.

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:43 am
Combo

Lack of players - Injuries, Height, Skillsets, Depth issues. This team is missing so many pieces that make for a complete basketball team.

Lack of Coaching - Not sure if there are no adjustments or there aren't the right kind of players to make adjustments with. Like against the Spurs, if Popovich emphasizes using Duncan more in the second half, what can Don Nelson do? (answer: get smaller!)

Other team is better - The other team has that extra gear that the Warriors lack. i.e. -They take better shots, grab more rebounds, clog the paint more etc. The Warriors play their asses off in the first half against an opponent only partly trying. But in the 2nd half, the other team steps it up and puts the Warriors in their place.

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:41 am
I'd say the other teams get into the rooms and all say "come on guys, it's the Warriors ffs. Lets just finish this now"

Rookie
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:47 am
I think that we just loose that focus in the 3rd.

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:23 am
Could it be that the other team makes adjustments and we don't? Maybe at halftime, the coaching staff is proud that they're in the game and say keep doing what your doing.... though to be consistently awful every third quarter, they would have to see the trend. I don't know, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Franchise Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:54 am
RobDIKUM wrote:Could it be that the other team makes adjustments and we don't? Maybe at halftime, the coaching staff is proud that they're in the game and say keep doing what your doing.... though to be consistently awful every third quarter, they would have to see the trend. I don't know, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Exactly..............I dont buy the "We are just crap" excuse either!!!

If we were must crap, then we would be so for ALL 4 Qtr's and not go into half times with leads and having good momentum...........just to have it magically destroyed and disappear after the players have a quiet sit down with Nelson..............strange huh?

Obviously, the other teams will always adjust to us at half time if they havnt been able to figure us out already.............thats what good coaching staff and good teams do.

As far as Im concerned, the only reason for our 3rd's, and you could even say 2nd half's as a whole, being so terrible.............comes from the lack of coaching/motivation.

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:09 am
Warriors come out with a line-up thats gets killed on the boards and they don't address it. 2nd chance points kill the warriors. Its simple warriors can not compete with this roster or line-up they put out there, Zack Randolph looked like Shaq in his early days out there because warriors can't match-up, NBA is all about match-ups and the Warriors fail, just don't have enough.

Role Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:17 pm
Quazza wrote:I'd say the other teams get into the rooms and all say "come on guys, it's the Warriors ffs. Lets just finish this now"

If this is the case, we'd be stuck in an eternal cycle. For us to start winning, teams would have to respect us as a worthy opponent, but for teams to start respecting us as a worthy opponent, we would have to start winning. Neither can simply happen; one must be brought on by the other. And if we want to break the cycle, we will have to find some way to either start winning or earn the respect of opponents. Frankly with our current management there is no chance at all for the latter to pass, so I guess our only hope is to go on a nice winning streak.

I think most of us have known about the team's curious third quarter struggles, but I never gave the matter any thought before. Bigs, this is a very interesting thread and I gotta give you props for bringing this issue to light. I think you are quite right in your assessment: to be a good third quarter team, there are things that must be done that we are not doing.

The HC needs to find mismatches and exploit them. He needs to correct the problems from the first half. And he needs to anticipate what changes the opponent might make and try to find ways to counter them before they even happen. In addition, he has to make sure the 3rd quarter line-up is fresh and pumped up. It always seems like our guys are sluggish and uninspired in the 3rd quarter. Not sure whether this can be blamed quarely on the shoulders of Nelson, but it's gotta be at least partially his fault.

Franchise Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:53 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:I think most of us have known about the team's curious third quarter struggles, but I never gave the matter any thought before. Bigs, this is a very interesting thread and I gotta give you props for bringing this issue to light. I think you are quite right in your assessment: to be a good third quarter team, there are things that must be done that we are not doing.

The HC needs to find mismatches and exploit them. He needs to correct the problems from the first half. And he needs to anticipate what changes the opponent might make and try to find ways to counter them before they even happen. In addition, he has to make sure the 3rd quarter line-up is fresh and pumped up. It always seems like our guys are sluggish and uninspired in the 3rd quarter. Not sure whether this can be blamed quarely on the shoulders of Nelson, but it's gotta be at least partially his fault.

And thats exactly my point.

Sure we can just say we are a crap team with no talent that just cant compete against anyone............but that isnt what is happening with this particular issue.

If it was, then there would be no difference between what qtr it was, we would just be that.

Think about it, if your in the NBA, its because you are a player who can play...........this includes being ready and motivated for each game, to go out there and show your stuff.

So at the start of the game, not much "motivating" is probably required, and when you see video of pre-game talks..........most of the players just sit there staring at the floor anyway, because they are in their own zone, getting themselves ready.

At half time, its different, because things have now changed.............surprises have happened, guys know whether they are having a good night or not, they know if they are up for the game or not..............this is the coaches responsibility to bring back that focus and attention to going out there and showing what you got.

And this is where I believe the problem with us lies, because that isnt happening.

All Star
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:33 pm
bigstrads wrote:
D4rk 0ne wrote:I think most of us have known about the team's curious third quarter struggles, but I never gave the matter any thought before. Bigs, this is a very interesting thread and I gotta give you props for bringing this issue to light. I think you are quite right in your assessment: to be a good third quarter team, there are things that must be done that we are not doing.

Sure we can just say we are a crap team with no talent that just cant compete against anyone............but that isnt what is happening with this particular issue.

If it was, then there would be no difference between what qtr it was, we would just be that.

Think about it, if your in the NBA, its because you are a player who can play...........this includes being ready and motivated for each game, to go out there and show your stuff.

So at the start of the game, not much "motivating" is probably required, and when you see video of pre-game talks..........most of the players just sit there staring at the floor anyway, because they are in their own zone, getting themselves ready.

At half time, its different, because things have now changed.............surprises have happened, guys know whether they are having a good night or not, they know if they are up for the game or not..............this is the coaches responsibility to bring back that focus and attention to going out there and showing what you got.

And this is where I believe the problem with us lies, because that isnt happening.

Man, it is infact this crap team and crap roster, no matter the coach no kind of motavation will get a line-up of Moore, Maggs, Morrow, Curry, and Monta to rebound. Second chance points, getting out rebounded by more than 10 each game, at times more than 20, no team can win getting out rebounded the way the warriors do. So maybe it does fall in the same category as coaching since it is Nellie who puts out the line-ups. But this scrub roster has to be taking into account for the woes of this team.

Franchise Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:35 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
bigstrads wrote:

Man, it is infact this crap team and crap roster, no matter the coach no kind of motavation will get a line-up of Moore, Maggs, Morrow, Curry, and Monta to rebound. Second chance points, getting out rebounded by more than 10 each game, at times more than 20, no team can win getting out rebounded the way the warriors do. So maybe it does fall in the same category as coaching since it is Nellie who puts out the line-ups. But this scrub roster has to be taking into account for the woes of this team.

Ok ok............I tell you what, we will wait then until we get our bigs back and there are no more bull sh*t excuse, and then see what happens.

Does everyone forget that since Nelson's return, every single season the biggest talking points and things that have not made any sense...........have all come from Nelson's decisions, whether they be rotational, minutes, benching guys, not benching guys, play calling (I mean lack of) ostracizing guys for the wrong reasons, late game decisions, effort, discipline, poor shot selection...........the list is endless.

You know what the absolute hilarious thing is???

That with all these injuries, lack of players, lack of bigs and all the excuses that people keep bringing up.............there have been sooooooo many win-able games this year that were lost because of poor decisions with line-ups and end game situational tactics.

Not because of poor players of lack of rebounding or whatever.

Role Player
» Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:50 pm
Isnt it obvious? Nelson slips something into the players drinks during half time so they come out lethargic. That why it wont be obvious that he's tanking.