The Monta Situation

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:58 am
so with Jack gone I see one of two things happening

1-he feels totally alienated, that we've just traded away his mate and turns on the entire organisation and players. I'm picturing him in the corner of the locker-room after every game, by himself, towel over head

OR

2-with Jack's "influence" out the picture, he starts to take to the new kids, even becomes a leader of sorts (ok so leader may be a reach) and elevates his game to another, team constructive, level

ok I'll have to add a third-He's traded lol

so crew, what do we think and what do we want

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:02 am
I think Monta becomes the new fan scapegoat. There's always someone...people can't bitch about Jack anymore so there'll be someone else. Unless Monta fulfills #2, which I find ENTIRELY unlikely, then people will find an excuse to dislike him and complain until he's traded.
Last edited by Captain_Jack on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:05 am
Number 2 is not happening at all. He, himself was quoted in the past few days as saying that he is not going to take on any more responsibility than he feels he needs to. He said that someone else should step up and take some of the pressure off him, that it shouldnt all fall on him.
As sad as it makes me to say this, I see a trade more and more imminent as things unfold for this team. Although he is still very young and would be the best current Ws player to take the reigns as team leader, I dont think he sees himself as that type of player. I think he wants to be "that guy" during the 48 minutes on the court but not off it.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 am
ok yer, wish i'd seen the Monta interview BEFORE starting this thread lol

Hall of Famer
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:00 am
Monta's crying like a child and likely won't move on. He will have to go as well and right now his value should be pretty high

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 am
That's past tense. People have already begun disliking him long ago. The man (or I should say boy) doesn't want to step it up, deflects responsibility, has a much higher opinion of himself than what is actual reality, and simply has a typical prima-dona I'm the Sh*t attitude I absolutely abhor with today's young NBA punks.

The sooner we get rid of Ellis, the better off we'll be. He's not a winner and honestly I don't think he ever will. Doesn't have the drive & the internal moxie.

Get rid of the bum ASAP...

Rookie
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 am
Monta's the best player we have on the team right now and for sure the quickest. You can't teach quickness and he is continuing to add depth to his game. I think of a cwebb type situation if he is traded, where we get to watch him make to the allstar team in another uni.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:13 am
I think Monta will be fine. The main problem the Warriors are facing right now is the Tyrant of a coach in Nelson. With Jackson going away, even though, I believe he was probably the best overall player on this team, a dark cloud will be lifted and players will know more about where they stand in the team dynamic. I dont like how Jack went about some things on his way out the door here, but I appreciate what he did for this franchise. At the same time, I realize his time here was done, but I hope we do not do the same thing to Monta and run him out of town.

He needs to grow up, but he is still a kid. He is extremely talented and would be a huge loss to send him down the road.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:22 am
Jax was arguably our best all-around player but that didn't stop us from getting rid of that malignant cancer. I pretty sure no one here's crying over his departure.

Now Monta gets to wear the label as our "best" player. But I could care less... If he keeps on his current path he will surely destroy what chemistry & camaraderie we have left, if we have any left at all. Like how Jax eventually poisoned Monta's mind, Monta will soon do that with Curry, AR, AM, & the rest of our young core.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:23 am
Monta is not a kid anymore he is 24 years old. You stop being a kid once you go over 21. He is a father. He calls himself a franchise player but doesn't act like one. I was a big supporter of Monta but what he is saying now is just unacceptable for someone who takes 16 shots a game.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:58 am
So many things could happen with Ellis:

1. With Jackson gone, he may settle in and do well.

2. He could pull a Jackson and force yet another de-leveraged trade.

3. Nelson could mess with him and ruin him both as a player and a good trade prospect.

4. Ellis may be all he can be right now. This is it, folks, a person with excellent physical skills, but limited in awareness, leadership, etc.

5. He could simply be traded away for at best another decent player, but one who is not a star who will cure the problems (no fabulous big guy).

6. Nelson could go and this would change everything above.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:23 pm
I think Monta revealed what kind of person he is last summer, after signing a 6 year contract, he went evil knievel on a moped...

The question is will he thrive, settle in, be happy here ever?
That's not looking so good right now.

If someone he respects sits him down and talks to him. Let's him know that he is getting paid to ignore franchise politics and play the best basketball he can, be professional, he may just let go of some of this stuff.. The win win win case scenario... I just don't seeing it going that way.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:20 pm
Sources: Ellis' agent, team to meet

By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
Archive
Although the dysfunction level of the Golden State Warriors no doubt declined with Monday's trade of disgruntled veteran Stephen Jackson, sources close to the team say it certainly did not disappear.

Leading scorer Monta Ellis now replaces Jackson as the most irritated Warrior, and according to league sources, Ellis' agent, Jeff Fried, will meet with Golden State management Thursday to discuss his future (or lack thereof) with the club.

Fried could not be reached for comment, and it's not clear whether he will ask the Warriors to trade his client. But sources said Ellis has been telling teammates on a regular basis that he wants out of Golden State, and he believes general manager Larry Riley has spoken to several teams about potential trades involving him.

Riley said he is aware of Fried's visit to the Bay Area, but he would not confirm a scheduled meeting. Sources say team owner Chris Cohan and president Robert Rowell also may meet with Fried.

Riley said there is no situation, regarding Ellis or any other player, that approaches the seriousness of the Jackson controversy, but he did not deny that the Warriors may pursue other trades.

"I don't have anything going right now in regards to trading people," Riley said in a telephone conversation Tuesday afternoon. "I will be working to improve our team throughout the rest of this year, and that process will be started quickly. I felt we had to get the first thing out of the way first. Are we in a position to not do anything? We're 3-6. I can't afford not to be talking to people. We're 3-6 and we need to continue to evaluate our roster."

Meetings with supposedly peeved employees are becoming a regular part of Riley's job description this season. Less than two weeks ago, representatives for Anthony Randolph met with Riley to discuss the second-year player's growing discontent.

Randolph, whom many of the league's coaches and executives view as one of the top young talents in the league, is upset about the lack of consistency regarding his position and role on the team, according to sources.

Riley, however, denied that Randolph is angry.

"Anthony is happy," Riley said. "Things are fine. He's getting a lot of playing time right now and continuing to grow. He fits into our future."

Despite Riley's pronouncements, though, coach Don Nelson's roller-coaster use of Randolph continues. For instance, after averaging 20 points and 10 rebounds in games against Minnesota and Indiana last week, Randolph played only six minutes in the next game, against the Knicks.

The lanky 6-10, 210-pound forward is also unhappy about being moved to the center position, according to sources close to the team.

The acquisition of Vladimir Radmanovic, who joined the Warriors as part of the Jackson trade, also concerns Randolph, who expects his minutes to drop with Radmanovic aboard.

Ellis, who averages 19.3 points per game, is angry for some of the same reasons Jackson had. Sources say that during the summer, Warriors management told both players they planned to build around them and that they would trade the No. 7 pick in last summer's draft for a veteran who would put the club in immediate playoff contention.

When the Warriors instead selected Stephen Curry with the seventh pick, Jackson and Ellis felt betrayed, believing the team had lied to them and was now going in the direction of rebuilding with youth.

"The players are really questioning whether they can trust the organization," a person with knowledge of the situation said. "They're tired of Nellie's mind games. They think all he cares about is winning 21 more games, even if it means going 21-61. The environment there is terrible."

Nelson, who has 1,312 regular-season victories, needs 21 more wins to surpass Lenny Wilkens as the winningest regular-season coach in NBA history.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

All Star
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:31 pm
Can someone that understands all the limitations of making trades in the NBA if we could do a trade of Monta for Rudy Gay? Maybe a sign and trade of some sort or something? I know that him choosing not to sign an extension has complicated a trade scenario with him involved.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:36 pm
Chris Broussard could have made all of that up man. I have a big problem with beat writers making wild speculations and then citing "sources close to the organization". These is no credibility in that (unless you are Adam Shefter).