Just a Question

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Rookie
Posts: 91
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:39 am
Ok, so I have been sitting back reading all this, we need this, we need that posts. Please don't hammer me for just asking this simple question, for lack of a better understanding.

If we need a veteran, and a point guard, why isn't Allen Iverson being considered? Wouldn't he be a great mentor to Curry, definitely a scorer and he distributes the ball, at least from what I can see when he played with Denver. Oh, and he can still play and is trying to sign every where else for cheap.

Just curious, since the tradition in Bay Area sports is usually rentals, why not get the guy for one year, bring along Curry, not slowly but efficiently and also have a all star point guard.

Again, just a question

All Star
Posts: 3177
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:53 am
"We are talking about practice", "We talking bout practice", "wait we are talking bout practice" I remember that.

Well am not going to hammer your question. For a 1 year contract I would not mind, but am sure he will want 2-3 year deal.

This is what majority will say.

1. He is not a true pg

2. He will be a cancer to the locker room

3. He won't help the team, look what he did to the Pistons, and watch how better Nuggets got after he left.

4. He will take time from Curry.

5. He has a bad attitude.

6. He is too old.

7. He cut his braids so he lost a step in his game, he should have stayed braided up.

8. Too many guards on the team.

Am sure the list will grow but don't think AI will be a warrior, but never say never right ?
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2862
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:06 am
HAMMER! SMASH! CRUSH FEELINGS! :)

1) cause AI is the size of a PG, but he's not a PG, he's too much of a ball hog, that's why as soon as DEN traded him for Billups they started winning

2) AI has a bad attitude if he's not starting which he probably wouldn't. there is a reason why he is available and why the Clips and the grizz are interested. he's made his last two teams worse and only desperate franchises are willing to take the chance that he will turn things around

3) AI could only be signed to the Mid Level, the Veteran's Minimum or the Bi-Anual exception since we are over the salary cap. he's not worth the MLE to us and the Vet min and Bi-anual exceptions are below his asking price.

4) Personally I believe we don't need another PG. Monta needs some time to prove his worth. I think he can do it, but I know there are lots of doubters out there. It doesn't make sense to me tough, to bench the player that makes the most money because you think he won't work as a PG. give it at least half a season before y'all say he's a PG failure.

5) We drafted a PG, and our other big need was another F/C. I think that's what we should spend money on.

6) We have seven players that can play SG, no need for one more.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:13 am
warriorsstepup wrote:"We are talking about practice", "We talking bout practice", "wait we are talking bout practice" I remember that.


THE ENTIRE EXCERPT:

Reporter: "So you and coach Brown got caught up on Saturday about practice?"

Iverson:
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. (more laughter)

Reporter: "But it's an issue that your coach continues to raise?"

Iverson: "Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice."

Reporter: "Is it possible that if you practiced, not you but you would make your teammates better?"

Iverson: "How in the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

Reporter:
"So they can be used to playing with you."

Iverson: "They should be used to playing with me. Those are my teammates. So my game is going to deteriorate because I'm not practicing with my teammates? Is my game is going to get worse? I'm asking you, is my game going to get worse? So what about my game? Is my game going to get better because other players are hurt on my team, I mean, do that hurt me? Do you think that hurts me? I'm being honest, people are hurt on my team but do that hurt me? Does that hurt me when I go out there and play 48 minutes, does that hurt me as a player? Does that hurt me if this person is hurt or that person is hurt? Do it hurt me?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI[/youtube]

Starting Lineup
Posts: 886
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:03 am
I like Iverson but I wouldn't be willing to pay him the full MLE that it would probably take to bring him to the Warriors to be a backup.[/i]

All Star
Posts: 3177
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:28 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:"We are talking about practice", "We talking bout practice", "wait we are talking bout practice" I remember that.


THE ENTIRE EXCERPT:

Reporter: "So you and coach Brown got caught up on Saturday about practice?"

Iverson:
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. (more laughter)

Reporter: "But it's an issue that your coach continues to raise?"

Iverson: "Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice."

Reporter: "Is it possible that if you practiced, not you but you would make your teammates better?"

Iverson: "How in the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

Reporter:
"So they can be used to playing with you."

Iverson: "They should be used to playing with me. Those are my teammates. So my game is going to deteriorate because I'm not practicing with my teammates? Is my game is going to get worse? I'm asking you, is my game going to get worse? So what about my game? Is my game going to get better because other players are hurt on my team, I mean, do that hurt me? Do you think that hurts me? I'm being honest, people are hurt on my team but do that hurt me? Does that hurt me when I go out there and play 48 minutes, does that hurt me as a player? Does that hurt me if this person is hurt or that person is hurt? Do it hurt me?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI[/youtube]


Haha very funny specially the last part "How the hell I make my teammates better by practice"

AI on the Warriors could be trouble. We already have enough drama to deal with.

All Star
Posts: 2883
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:23 am
SleepFloyd wrote:Ok, so I have been sitting back reading all this, we need this, we need that posts. Please don't hammer me for just asking this simple question, for lack of a better understanding.

If we need a veteran, and a point guard, why isn't Allen Iverson being considered? Wouldn't he be a great mentor to Curry, definitely a scorer and he distributes the ball, at least from what I can see when he played with Denver. Oh, and he can still play and is trying to sign every where else for cheap.

Just curious, since the tradition in Bay Area sports is usually rentals, why not get the guy for one year, bring along Curry, not slowly but efficiently and also have a all star point guard.

Again, just a question


Great question and possibly a perfect fit for a Don Nelson-coached team.

AI would thrive playing for Nelson, and Nelson would give AI the freedom to be creative as well as productive on the court.

A potential Nelson lineup with AI would have Curry at the point, AI at shooting guard, Monta at small forward, Magette at power forward and Biedrens at center. Now that is small ball!

Guys, with Nelson coaching this team for the next two years, it makes sense for the front office to fill out the roster with smaller, skill-positioned players, and AI would be perfect for this team.

Baron Davis had thrived while playing for Nelson, AI, a better player than Baron even at this later stage of his career, would absolutely excel playing for Nelson.

All Star
Posts: 2883
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:"We are talking about practice", "We talking bout practice", "wait we are talking bout practice" I remember that.


THE ENTIRE EXCERPT:

Reporter: "So you and coach Brown got caught up on Saturday about practice?"

Iverson:
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. (more laughter)

Reporter: "But it's an issue that your coach continues to raise?"

Iverson: "Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice."

Reporter: "Is it possible that if you practiced, not you but you would make your teammates better?"

Iverson: "How in the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?

Reporter:
"So they can be used to playing with you."

Iverson: "They should be used to playing with me. Those are my teammates. So my game is going to deteriorate because I'm not practicing with my teammates? Is my game is going to get worse? I'm asking you, is my game going to get worse? So what about my game? Is my game going to get better because other players are hurt on my team, I mean, do that hurt me? Do you think that hurts me? I'm being honest, people are hurt on my team but do that hurt me? Does that hurt me when I go out there and play 48 minutes, does that hurt me as a player? Does that hurt me if this person is hurt or that person is hurt? Do it hurt me?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI[/youtube]


Haha very funny specially the last part "How the hell I make my teammates better by practice"

AI on the Warriors could be trouble. We already have enough drama to deal with.


On just about any other team, except perhaps Houston with Rick Adelman as the head coach, AI could be trouble; however, on a Nelson-coached team that favors players who can beat an opposing defender off of the dribble, AI would be a perfect fit.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 7481
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:52 am
LMAO!!!

What we talking about Allen? "Prackdiss" :mrgreen:

Ohh and yeah, hell no to him on this team..............seriously? do we not have enough one on one players who need/want the ball in their hands?

How the hell is Maggette going to get the line 8 times a night with Iverson on this team?

How the hell is Jackson going to dribble down and shoot a contested 3 within 4 seconds of the shot clock with Iverson on this team?

How the hell is Monta going to get out on the break and dribble drive with Iverson on this team?

If you look at when Iverson has been succesful over his career...........as in wins and his team playing well.............its when he is the ONLY guy, the main man, with everything going through him.

Look at his finals making Sixers teams! they had no-one else apart from him.............truelly one of the worst teams, talent wise, to ever make an NBA finals.

Then when he gets some talent around him, or goes to a team with some other players who need and deserve the ball.............it doesnt work.

All Star
Posts: 2956
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:57 am
I don't know where you guys get the idea that Iveson is a cancer. He has been a great team mate where ever he has played. The Warriors don't need him but he is definitely not a cancer. He plays hard and he doesn't talk back to the refs.

Rookie
Posts: 43
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:20 pm
yeah so basically the same reasons everyone else put.
mainly he will take time from curry and maybe morrow law and bellinelli if we want to play them. (not to mention watson if we still have him). basically this could throw off the chemistry and would provide another one sided player (scorer) to a squad that already has too many of those. also could hurt monta's little feelings. you know how he could tend to be sensitive sometimes...
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 337
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:32 pm
SleepFloyd wrote:Ok, so I have been sitting back reading all this, we need this, we need that posts. Please don't hammer me for just asking this simple question, for lack of a better understanding.

If we need a veteran, and a point guard, why isn't Allen Iverson being considered? Wouldn't he be a great mentor to Curry, definitely a scorer and he distributes the ball, at least from what I can see when he played with Denver. Oh, and he can still play and is trying to sign every where else for cheap.

Just curious, since the tradition in Bay Area sports is usually rentals, why not get the guy for one year, bring along Curry, not slowly but efficiently and also have a all star point guard.

Again, just a question


LOL..how many SGs do you want? is this mullin in disguise??

we actually need a 3rd guard off the bench for depth, so are considering the one year rental, and if somehow, it miraculously is a success, then AI knows we got boatloads of money to offer him an extention, probably around 3yrs/$15 and he can retire a clipper, as long as he keeps being the 6th man

All Star
Posts: 2883
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:53 pm
The Coooach wrote:I don't know where you guys get the idea that Iveson is a cancer. He has been a great team mate where ever he has played. The Warriors don't need him but he is definitely not a cancer. He plays hard and he doesn't talk back to the refs.


Coach, Nelson is going nowhere; he will be coaching this team for the next two seasons.

Iverson is a perfect fit in Nelson's small-ball style of basketball.

No, I am not a Nelson-apologist (he should have never been hired; we can all thank Chris Mullin for this one); however, since he is the coach, the front office should bring in players who would thrive while playing for Nelson.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1221
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:27 pm
The Coooach wrote:I don't know where you guys get the idea that Iveson is a cancer. He has been a great team mate where ever he has played. The Warriors don't need him but he is definitely not a cancer. He plays hard and he doesn't talk back to the refs.



Let's see, beginning from the 2003-2004 season...

7
10
13
12
5 (trying to be the "model" citizen in his 1st year w/ denver)
5 (57 games)

What are the number of technical fouls AI has earned each season...Pretty difficult to put up those numbers if you don't talk back to the refs...

And uh, ya, when he's dominating the ball and playing his typical mano-y-mano game, sure he's not a cancer.

ask him to acquiesce and buy into the team concept and do what's best for the team, he ain't having it. just ask the pistons.

i'm sure he's not a cancer off the court...but on it, he kills team chemistry...

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm
i think AI could be a pretty decent Draw-and-kick player on a Nellie team...I don't know that he would do this, but I wouldn't be totally against a one-year rental of AI. He's basically what Monta could become (could mentor monta), and I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind Monta being the next Iverson if it means 8 years of being an all-star.

for those worried of AI taking away touches from Maggs...why? whose hands would you rather have the ball in? Maggs won't get to the line 8 times a game anymore...but AI will. He'll take away touches from jackson too...but you surround AI with offensive rebounders as good as biedrins, randolph, morrow and buike and you got something pretty good. Biedrins and Randolph's rebounding numbers go up, as well as their scoring and FG% because of put backs.

don't get it twisted...im not rallying for an AI signing...I'm just saying I wouldn't be against it. Obviously there are negatives to signing him...but not very many people here are seeing or even considering that there could also be positives, and I don't think the negatives outweigh the positives enough (if at all) to rule it out.

when baron was traded to the warriors, there were people who questioned his attitude, and rightfully so...but then when nellie came in baron thrived...maybe AI would be similar.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests