Pick N Roll

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:03 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:I agree with migya, we should lose points in the confidence system for making a wrong pick. The point system should be like the NCAA brackets.

Lets do Migya's first proposal then if no to the confidence. I've done something like this before with hockey, so it works and is fun. The point system that i played with that is similar to migya's proposal doesn't lose you points. Its like the ncaa bracket, but with bonuses (for the correct number of series games)

BTW, you don't lose points on a confidence system. There's no point to lose points. This isn't jeopardy. The way we did the confidence system in the past was the correct way that they do everywhere (note, the confidence system is the Number 1 method used for college football gambling... so its not obscure by any means)

BACK ON TOPIC, SO we got 4 people.. right? migya, tmc, xbay and myself? MAYBE, we should make a new thread, so anyone doing the nba.com stays here, and anyone doing migya's thing goes there... DEAL?

You'll have to give me, and anyone else who needs it, a thorough explanation aboutt his "confidence system" method. As far as I can see, it is a system where you can allocate one of a few choices for points (eg. 1 or 2 or 5 or 15) for each game. Thing with this is, there is no point in not choosing the highest point total for every game, because since you don't lose points, you look to get the highest point total possible and you do that by picking the highest points for each game. In a system like that, you have to have some sort of "evening out" factor as well, like deduct the same amount of points you allocated for a game if you get it wrong. That way, it is really a "confidence" call and you won't just allocate the highest point total for each game, as you could lose just as many points for getting it wrong.

Another option of a system to have for this, could be to do it sort of like NCAA tournament pickem was. In the first round, you get lesser point total for getting the winner of the series correct than you do for later rounds. In other words, you get, for example, 1 point for getting the winner of a first round series correct, 2 points for getting the winner of a second round series correct, 3 points for getting the winner of third round series (Conference Finals) correct and 4 points for getting the winner of the Finals correct. It is an option that may be easiest of all to understand.

I like my first proposal that I meantioned yesterday, it has a little more to it, but we can all have a conversation over the next two days, before the playoffs start.

What do you all think? Also, whoever wants in, say so here please so we know who is playing in this

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:13 pm
for those confused, YES you have to have one of those NBA.com access accounts. IT'S FREE! I just have an account so I can listen to warrior games if I'm away from the bay. sign up for that, confirm your email address, and then follow those directions.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:I agree with migya, we should lose points in the confidence system for making a wrong pick. The point system should be like the NCAA brackets.

Lets do Migya's first proposal then if no to the confidence. I've done something like this before with hockey, so it works and is fun. The point system that i played with that is similar to migya's proposal doesn't lose you points. Its like the ncaa bracket, but with bonuses (for the correct number of series games)

BTW, you don't lose points on a confidence system. There's no point to lose points. This isn't jeopardy. The way we did the confidence system in the past was the correct way that they do everywhere (note, the confidence system is the Number 1 method used for college football gambling... so its not obscure by any means)

BACK ON TOPIC, SO we got 4 people.. right? migya, tmc, xbay and myself? MAYBE, we should make a new thread, so anyone doing the nba.com stays here, and anyone doing migya's thing goes there... DEAL?

You'll have to give me, and anyone else who needs it, a thorough explanation aboutt his "confidence system" method. As far as I can see, it is a system where you can allocate one of a few choices for points (eg. 1 or 2 or 5 or 15) for each game. Thing with this is, there is no point in not choosing the highest point total for every game, because since you don't lose points, you look to get the highest point total possible and you do that by picking the highest points for each game. In a system like that, you have to have some sort of "evening out" factor as well, like deduct the same amount of points you allocated for a game if you get it wrong. That way, it is really a "confidence" call and you won't just allocate the highest point total for each game, as you could lose just as many points for getting it wrong.

Another option of a system to have for this, could be to do it sort of like NCAA tournament pickem was. In the first round, you get lesser point total for getting the winner of the series correct than you do for later rounds. In other words, you get, for example, 1 point for getting the winner of a first round series correct, 2 points for getting the winner of a second round series correct, 3 points for getting the winner of third round series (Conference Finals) correct and 4 points for getting the winner of the Finals correct. It is an option that may be easiest of all to understand.

I like my first proposal that I meantioned yesterday, it has a little more to it, but we can all have a conversation over the next two days, before the playoffs start.

What do you all think? Also, whoever wants in, say so here please so we know who is playing in this

Oh ok, i know what your being confused it... Apologies, i should of made it clearer... you are only allowed to assigned a point total only once. So lets say there are 8 series. What you would do is rank them through points 1-8, with 8 being your most confident and 1 being your least confident. However, you are only allowed to use each point value only once. So all point values will be used... kinda what you were saying... it evens it out. AND it doesn't get you negative points if you get it wrong, just u get no points. See the examples again from the link i posted earlier, and you will see no one used the same value more then once.

As for First Off, i dont care for the nba.com thing.... if i were to do one, i would rather do migya's way or the confidence system way. Like migya says, its more of a challenge... plus i dont like signing up for stuff in the worst sports league possibe.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Oh ok, i know what your being confused it... Apologies, i should of made it clearer... you are only allowed to assigned a point total only once. So lets say there are 8 series. What you would do is rank them through points 1-8, with 8 being your most confident and 1 being your least confident. However, you are only allowed to use each point value only once. So all point values will be used... kinda what you were saying... it evens it out. AND it doesn't get you negative points if you get it wrong, just u get no points. See the examples again from the link i posted earlier, and you will see no one used the same value more then once.

As for First Off, i dont care for the nba.com thing.... if i were to do one, i would rather do migya's way or the confidence system way. Like migya says, its more of a challenge... plus i dont like signing up for stuff in the worst sports league possibe.

Cheers Crackerz, I didn't understand and you clearer it up beautifully. That scoring system is good and I'm alright using that one if the other guys want

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:10 pm
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Cheers Crackerz, I didn't understand and you clearer it up beautifully. That scoring system is good and I'm alright using that one if the other guys want

yea its a good system... just confusing to explain.

MIGYA, because we are gonna create a new thing besides the nba.com, lets have a new thread, so its not confused with this one. You wanna make it, or me. I'll give u the honors to make it as it was ur idea to branch out first. .Maybe we can do a vote once we get more people. But a new thread should prolly be made.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

yea its a good system... just confusing to explain.

MIGYA, because we are gonna create a new thing besides the nba.com, lets have a new thread, so its not confused with this one. You wanna make it, or me. I'll give u the honors to make it as it was ur idea to branch out first. .Maybe we can do a vote once we get more people. But a new thread should prolly be made.

Alright.

MADE A NEW THREAD IN THE FANTASY FORUM SO ALL WHO WANT TO BE IN THIS NBA PLAYOFF PICKEM COMPETITION GO THERE

Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball