Williams

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:03 am
I'm getting intrigued by this guy. Supposedly a true point guard, a first-round pick and never, ever plays. Hmmm....

Nelson seems to actually hate him. Once he put him in for 7 seconds, likely to try to force a blowup. That makes me wonder, as I have learned to always take the contrarian view of whatever Nelson says and does.

Two possibilities:

1. He really sucks. Is totally hopeless and doesn't deserve to be in the NBA.

2. Is good. Would actually help the team, but would make Nelson look bad if he put him in and he did well as fans would then know it was just another Nelson situation.

I never followed him before and know nothing about his career.

Does anyone here have a handle on him?

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:12 am
From what I've gathered from stuff I've read. Williams severely pissed Nelson off by showing up overweight and out of shape at the beginning of the year. He also has a reputation for being lazy. At that point I doubt it mattered what he could do on the court, he had already ruined any chances he had with Nellie.

Role Player
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:49 am
Captain_Jack wrote:From what I've gathered from stuff I've read. Williams severely pissed Nelson off by showing up overweight and out of shape at the beginning of the year. He also has a reputation for being lazy. At that point I doubt it mattered what he could do on the court, he had already ruined any chances he had with Nellie.

Well Nelson should look at his own body, even when he was 21 years old, I'm pretty sure he isn't that fit also. Williams isn't fat.

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 am
Abyss Impact wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:From what I've gathered from stuff I've read. Williams severely pissed Nelson off by showing up overweight and out of shape at the beginning of the year. He also has a reputation for being lazy. At that point I doubt it mattered what he could do on the court, he had already ruined any chances he had with Nellie.

Well Nelson should look at his own body, even when he was 21 years old, I'm pretty sure he isn't that fit also. Williams isn't fat.

You do know that Nelson played in the NBA and was in just fine condition while he played.

Role Player
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:08 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
Abyss Impact wrote:

You do know that Nelson played in the NBA and was in just fine condition while he played.

Yes, i do know, and doubt it. Williams isn't fat. He is fit.

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:03 pm
Abyss Impact wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Abyss Impact wrote:

Yes, i do know, and doubt it. Williams isn't fat. He is fit.

Ok he's fit...fair enough.

however, he isn't fast enough, doesn't have a consistent enough jumper, can't play a lick of defense, essentially can't run an NBA team. sure, he's a "true" pass-first point guard with great court vision...

but it's all relative... he can't do it in the NBA... in college yes, the nbdl i'm sure, the european league, possibly...

btw, did you see the pics of nelson in his young days (it was on TV very recently), running some drills at a bball camp...nelson was cut and fit.

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:26 pm
"Not a true pass first PG" .. thats exactly what Williams is. Please refrain from making further player evaluations and stick to making posts like "NELSON SUCKS!!!"

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:40 pm
Beast Mode wrote:"Not a true pass first PG" .. thats exactly what Williams is. Please refrain from making further player evaluations and stick to making posts like "NELSON SUCKS!!!"

Who are you talking about? No one said that he wasn't a true pass first PG...did you even read the posts or just make assumptions.

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:01 pm
Personally, I don't trust the coach enough to believe that if he doesn't get any court time, it means he is not a NBA caliber player. I'd much rather be able to make that distinction myself by seeing him actually get some playing time.

The front office and coaching staff had to have seen something in the guy in order to trade for him. They should have known about his bad work ethic before hand, and thought they could turn it around. Comes here, same work ethic, no contribution, no future 1st. Someone(not just Williams) screwed up.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:10 pm

This pretty much nails it. Although I do think Nelly went overboard not playing him AT ALL. He is the best passes we've had in a long time but he can absolutely not shoot at all from any spot on the court ever, besides that one time he came in with 5 seconds left in the half and buried a 3.

His passing skills are 10/10, but that's just not enough to justify playing him, when he's bad in every other area.

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:18 pm
Lmao I read her post completely wrong. I deserve it this time :roll:

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:18 pm
David Wood wrote:

This pretty much nails it. Although I do think Nelly went overboard not playing him AT ALL. He is the best passes we've had in a long time but he can absolutely not shoot at all from any spot on the court ever, besides that one time he came in with 5 seconds left in the half and buried a 3.

His passing skills are 10/10, but that's just not enough to justify playing him, when he's bad in every other area.

I agree, I'm not sure it justifies not playing him at all. However as someone who has coached teams I see Nelson's point of view on this one. If I had someone who has a reputation of being lazy, who not only doesn't do anything to change that reputation, but actually shows up out of shape and overweight, I would have absolutely no use for them.

It would be like T.O., who has a reputation for being a locker room cancer (in case you missed that :mrgreen: ), showing up on the first day and criticizing the QB in his press conference. As a coach I would have no use for him and I'd have him as far away from my team as possible.

You can't perpetuate your reputation when people are already wary of you because of your past and still expect to get some leeway.

Rookie
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:31 pm
Obviously I'm biased but, MWill absolutely can shoot the ball, even from three.

I know he has problems staying in front of other PG's, and I can't comment on his work ethic, but to not play him, not trade him, not release him, and not send him to the D-League is just freaking strange. I've never seen anything like it.

Why hinder a players development like that?

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:38 pm
HuskyGuy wrote:Obviously I'm biased but, MWill absolutely can shoot the ball, even from three.

I know he has problems staying in front of other PG's, and I can't comment on his work ethic, but to not play him, not trade him, not release him, and not send him to the D-League is just freaking strange. I've never seen anything like it.

Why hinder a players development like that?

Isn't there a rule about if you've played a certain number of NBA games you can't go to the D-League?

All Star
» Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:08 pm
Usually its a bad sign when a young player doesn't work out on two teams