State of the Team

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:02 am
Why is it that the Warriors have such low expectations?

Nobody in the front office nor on the coaching staff is held accountable for the most important statistic, wins vs. losses.

Terry Porter was let go today from his coaching duties with the Phoenix Suns (http://stats.sfgate.com/nba/story.asp?i ... 8010000101), and it was reported this morning on ESPN that Steve Kerr is also on the hot seat as GM.

The won-loss record of the Phoenix Suns: 28-23.

The won-loss record of the Warriors: 19-35; yet, Mullin and Nelson get no criticism from either the local media nor fans. We Warrior fans deserve better.

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:35 am
uptempo wrote:Why is it that the Warriors have such low expectations?

Nobody in the front office nor on the coaching staff is held accountable for the most important statistic, wins vs. losses.

Terry Porter was let go today from his coaching duties with the Phoenix Suns (http://stats.sfgate.com/nba/story.asp?i ... 8010000101), and it was reported this morning on ESPN that Steve Kerr is also on the hot seat as GM.

The won-loss record of the Warriors: 19-35; yet, Mullin and Nelson get no criticism from either the local media nor fans. We Warrior fans deserve better.

nelson has been criticized....by fans at least. and i dont see why mullin should be criticized when he is being ousted by rowell. Stephen A. Smith said it best IMO: either let mullin do his job and keep doin what he's doin, or fire him already. all this stuff about keeping mullin out of the loop is stupid...he's brought the team back from its embarrassing dunleavy-murphy-foyle-fisher-jrich contract days and turned it to a respectable team, then once rowell comes into the picture out of nowhere, our team has more bad contracts and dissatisfied fans.

i say the warriors need to make a clear decision about mullin, fire nelson and have smart take over the team, and keep cohan and rowell out of basketball operations and we'd be fine. of course that would be ideal.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:02 pm
What would be ideal is to have Cohan and Rowell, and therefore Nelson, out of the picture completely... being that that is not going to happen, Eman's suggestion is more probable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 pm
E-Man wrote:i say the warriors need to make a clear decision about mullin, fire nelson and have smart take over the team, and keep cohan and rowell out of basketball operations and we'd be fine. of course that would be ideal.

I've been saying so since the offseason. It's just ridiculous to keep a guy as the head of a front office in which he doesn't hold any kind of power.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 am
Well, a nice couple of descriptive comments here about us from Chad Ford's "Trades That Should Happen Article" =

1. Raptors send Chris Bosh to the Warriors for Andris Biedrins, Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf, Marco Belinelli and a future No. 1 pick

Why should the Raptors do it?

Because the writing is on the wall in Toronto. I'm not sure how the Raptors are going to keep Bosh in 2010, and, no, I don't think adding Shawn Marion really helps in the long term. This deal would give them a ton of young talent to rebuild. And the fact that much of it has an international flavor only makes it sweeter for Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo.

Why should the Warriors do it?
You don't get the chance to add an All-Star big man every day. And with Monta Ellis and Corey Maggette, the Warriors would have the building blocks to be special again. Will it happen?
The biggest question is whether the Warriors, the most dysfunctional franchise in the NBA, could keep Bosh. They would have enough talent to convince Bosh to stay, but their situation is so messed up that it's a big risk.

The second biggest question is whether the Raptors would do it. Colangelo has been pretty adamant that they won't deal Bosh at the deadline. But if they were able to get this much talent in return, he'd have to take a long look.

Chad Ford is a d*ck...............but hes also totally correct.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:47 am
bigstrads wrote:Well, a nice couple of descriptive comments here about us from Chad Ford's "Trades That Should Happen Article" =

1. Raptors send Chris Bosh to the Warriors for Andris Biedrins, Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf, Marco Belinelli and a future No. 1 pick

Because the writing is on the wall in Toronto. I'm not sure how the Raptors are going to keep Bosh in 2010, and, no, I don't think adding Shawn Marion really helps in the long term. This deal would give them a ton of young talent to rebuild. And the fact that much of it has an international flavor only makes it sweeter for Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo.

You don't get the chance to add an All-Star big man every day. And with Monta Ellis and Corey Maggette, the Warriors would have the building blocks to be special again. Will it happen?
The biggest question is whether the Warriors, the most dysfunctional franchise in the NBA, could keep Bosh. They would have enough talent to convince Bosh to stay, but their situation is so messed up that it's a big risk.

The second biggest question is whether the Raptors would do it. Colangelo has been pretty adamant that they won't deal Bosh at the deadline. But if they were able to get this much talent in return, he'd have to take a long look.

As much as I've been saying the team should trade for Amare/Bosh/Boozer, this is giving way too much. That's three of our four bigs, as well as a guard and our 1st rounder (a lottery pick at least) for one big, though a star, not able to carry all the big man duties by himself, which he'd have to after this trade.

One of the two big contracts has to go, being Maggette or Crawford, I'd prefer Maggette (as he can't opt out soon :mrgreen: ). Randolph can still go, as can Belinelli, but no more bigs, just more guards which the team has plenty of and the Raps don't, funnly enough

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 am
migya wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Well, a nice couple of descriptive comments here about us from Chad Ford's "Trades That Should Happen Article" =

As much as I've been saying the team should trade for Amare/Bosh/Boozer, this is giving way too much. That's three of our four bigs, as well as a guard and our 1st rounder (a lottery pick at least) for one big, though a star, not able to carry all the big man duties by himself, which he'd have to after this trade.

One of the two big contracts has to go, being Maggette or Crawford, I'd prefer Maggette (as he can't opt out soon :mrgreen: ). Randolph can still go, as can Belinelli, but no more bigs, just more guards which the team has plenty of and the Raps don't, funnly enough

there are a few teams in worse shape - Clips, Kings, and bobcats are more dysfunctional in my opinion. I mean,
- Clips have problems with baron (not trying), and their offense is basically every man for themself. plus didn't they go on like a 15 game losing streak this year?
- Kings have problems with Miller, he's fed up with the team and desperately wants to leave.
- Bobcats have Jordan as a GM and can't score (last in the NBA I think 2 years in a row now). no sight of change to come.

we at least seem to be going somewhere - we are loaded up with players on the rise, we can score, and for the most part, everyone seems to be happy on the team and plays hard even when we lose. it's just that Don Nelson guy...

I don't know I don't really think bosh would stay here though. not really worth it
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:21 am
first off wrote:there are a few teams in worse shape - Clips, Kings, and bobcats are more dysfunctional in my opinion. I mean,
- Clips have problems with baron (not trying), and their offense is basically every man for themself. plus didn't they go on like a 15 game losing streak this year?

The Clips have not had a healthy team for all but about one week this season, if that. Kaman is the only one that is out injured right now for them, if I'm not wrong, and apparently he is set to come back in about a month. That team, right now even without Kaman, is talented and I wouldn't be surprised if they started winning some games, like 60% from now on, if they give a rat's to try that is, which they probably don't, but they could

first off wrote:- Kings have problems with Miller, he's fed up with the team and desperately wants to leave.

They should trade BMiller immediately, they have Hawes anyway (not the prostitute kind :mrgreen: ) and he has been good for them. I reckon that team is close to the least talented in the nba right now, as they only really have Hawes, Martin, Salmons and Garcia, surrounded by relative garbage. They need change that's for sure

first off wrote:- Bobcats have Jordan as a GM and can't score (last in the NBA I think 2 years in a row now). no sight of change to come.

That team needs to get a star. JRich was allstar caliber, as is GWallace, but they need to get their hands on a real star, preferrably a big to go with Okafor. They have talent, young too, but they seem to jam them together (like Felton and Augustin) and not let them flourish. I'd love to pry Felton from them, for fukall too, maybe Belinelli for him

first off wrote:we at least seem to be going somewhere - we are loaded up with players on the rise, we can score, and for the most part, everyone seems to be happy on the team and plays hard even when we lose. it's just that Don Nelson guy...

I don't know I don't really think bosh would stay here though. not really worth it

The team has not shown they are going anywhere. With the young players STILL not getting proper playing time, though Nelson said in the offseason that he would play them alot more (another lie), and the addition of two perrenial losers that get paid about 10 million each and get alot of court time. I'd love to get rid of Maggette and his long and expensive contract, hopefully in a package for a star big. I'd like Crawford to opt out and not get resigned (he will and for bigger money then he's on now), but both those moves are unlikely with this management.

As for Bosh leaving if we got him, who cares, as long as we unload at least one of those two bad contracts, I'd prefer Maggette, as that would allow for an addition of a better player, hopefully one that fits a need or the development (and subsequent payment) of either BWright or Randolph or both. If Bosh stayed, pay him the max (he'll command that anyway) and get rid of one of the young bigs, as both would likely leave anyway, for cap relief

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Wow! I don't like that trade at all! That's way too much for Bosh. We won't even have a center! We'd have to go pick up Mbenga again or have Kurz be back up center! Stupid trade idea!!!!!! Beans, Randolph, Turiaf, Belli, and 1st round pick!? No ****ing way!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:24 pm
Josh Jamison wrote:

Wow! I don't like that trade at all! That's way too much for Bosh. We won't even have a center! We'd have to go pick up Mbenga again or have Kurz be back up center! Stupid trade idea!!!!!! Beans, Randolph, Turiaf, Belli, and 1st round pick!? No ****ing way!

Take out Beans and add in one of Jack/Maggs/Crawford's contract and its a deal, though losing Turiaf would suck.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:40 pm
I hate hate hate that trade...
Andris, Turiaf, AR and Belli? c'mon? I don't care how good Bosh is. and there is no way, he'll want to stick around here anyway. That's way too much for Bosh.

The only starter I would want moved is Crawford, more for our overabundance at that position than anything else.

Trade Kurz... :bday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:50 pm
Regardless of who coaches us at this point, our roster is built horribly for any scheme other than the one we run (it's horrible for that one too!). Any new coach stepping in would have some growing pains before they get it turned around...

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:04 pm
E-Man wrote:

mullin do his job and keep doin what he's doin, or fire him already. all this stuff about keeping mullin out of the loop is stupid...he's brought the team back from its embarrassing dunleavy-murphy-foyle-fisher-jrich contract days [quote]

Who gave these embarrassing contracts to dunleavy-murphy-foyle-and fisher?

Mullin.

At the very best, he has attempted to clean up the mess that he, alone, created.

Quit drinking the Mullin Kool-Aid. He hired Monty. He hired Nelson. His teams will have only made the playoffs one out of five seasons. Mullin and Nelson, BOTH, need to go!

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 am
uptempo wrote:
E-Man wrote:

mullin do his job and keep doin what he's doin, or fire him already. all this stuff about keeping mullin out of the loop is stupid...he's brought the team back from its embarrassing dunleavy-murphy-foyle-fisher-jrich contract days

Who gave these embarrassing contracts to dunleavy-murphy-foyle-and fisher?

Mullin.

At the very best, he has attempted to clean up the mess that he, alone, created.

Quit drinking the Mullin Kool-Aid. He hired Monty. He hired Nelson. His teams will have only made the playoffs one out of five seasons. Mullin and Nelson, BOTH, need to go!

and what moves has MULLIN made that showed any signs of going back to those days of his mistakes in those bad contracts?

i dont recall any complaining from people about mullin when the warriors made it to the playoffs. and now all of a sudden its his fault that we're not there? because of those contracts that, while he did sign those horrible contracts, he also got rid of for valueable pieces and future extensions.

i agree with you totally that nelson has got to go, but as far as mullin i dont see why he needs to. not yet at least. i think that if he does go, we need to have someone as good, if not better, at making the kinds of transactions he has for the past 4-5 years.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:04 am
on one hand you don't want to have the elgin baylor situation where a franchise sucks forever.

on the other hand you dont want a steve kerr situation where a new gm comes and blows everything up.

both scenario sounds warriorish.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball