My case for why Stephen Jackson must go

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Rookie
Posts: 171
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:19 pm
While I like his heart and his competitiveness, it’s really time for Jack to go. He’s holding this team back with his poor shot selection, his constant griping to the refs (resulting in his team mates playing 4 on 5 when he hangs back to argue), and his lack of accountability. Here’s why I think it’s time to ship him out.

He thinks too much of himself
Granted, he is one of the best players on the team but he’s not a superstar, and he’s better suited for being a role player. He can lock down on the other teams best player, but he also throws up more junk shots on this team than anyone else. And probably leads the team in turnovers per minutes played.

He can’t create his own shot
How many times does he need to iso dribble into traffic in the paint, try to force either an ugly shot or pass, fail, and then hang back and complain to the refs. Every friggin time that’s how often.

He does nothing to lead by example
The best players get their team involved, and understand the importance of team play and passing the ball. With Jack, it’s all about his taking over the game. Watch his reaction when he makes the occasional deep 3. He has this look like “of course it went in”. Of course, when he bricks it, he just keeps on bricking. And nobody, including the pantywaist coach, will tell him to stop shooting.

He can play the right role on the right team
It’s not to say Jack’s not a good player, or couldn’t offer some real value to the right team in a trade (Cleveland, Boston, Detroit, Chicago all come to mind) where he wouldn’t have to assume the role of “the man”. I think this “captain jack” thing has gone to his head, and his ego. he could probably bring some good pieces in return.

With just over 2 weeks till the trade deadline, I hate to say this but I really hope they trade him for either a PG or PF, either as part of a package or straight up. We have too many scorers on this team, and trading Jack for REAL role players who can play defense and rebound would be in the best interests of this team.

It’s time to blow this **** up.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:29 pm
he would've been easy to move before that god awful, pointless extension. Now, no chance

All Star
Posts: 1096
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm
name one team that want to take his horrible contract. Rowell loves the guy and wants him to retire here.. we're doomed for the next 1-2 years at least which is how long Nelson will be here. Hopefully toward the end of his contract and without nelson he'll be a solid vet a la Mourning, PJ Brown, Cassell.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:55 pm
saintdee wrote:name one team that want to take his horrible contract. Rowell loves the guy and wants him to retire here.. we're doomed for the next 1-2 years at least which is how long Nelson will be here. Hopefully toward the end of his contract and without nelson he'll be a solid vet a la Mourning, PJ Brown, Cassell.


time for a fire sale. get rid of good players for little, and just stack all there contracts for bad expireres with huge contracts (LeFrenc, AI, Jermaine O, marion,....)
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 309
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:26 pm
Crawford Maggette Jackson all need to go.

Rookie
Posts: 30
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:20 pm
agreed
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2862
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 pm
I doubt we can get a better player for maggette. not because he is a bargain by any means, but he has a 5 year contract. those are hard to trade for equal value.

moreover, yeah he was shiit last night, but he's been doing pretty much nothing but good for this team, and I want to keep him at least for now.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:19 pm
Quazza wrote:he would've been easy to move before that god awful, pointless extension. Now, no chance


No kidding. Although, if they restore power back to Mullin, I think he could work his magic. Mullin knows how to get out of sticky situations given time and power. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

Role Player
Posts: 288
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 pm
Yea Rowell's not going to want to let him go and plus, who the hell would take him anyway with that fat contract?

Rookie
Posts: 88
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:11 am
The problem with Crawford and Maggette is not that either of them is a terrible player -- they both have things to offer -- but that, with them and Jackson, we have way too much money sunk into similar players -- that is, big guards/small forwards who can score but who have some downside.

(The downsides differ from man to man, but they've all got problems.)

Any of them, however, would play much better on a team that either passed well or scored inside well. And having all three of them is keeping us from improving.

(Monta and several of the bench players also fit into this general area, but Monta's still got too much upside to give up on and the bench players aren't using up that much salary room/playing minutes.)

Maggette's actually been playing pretty darn well the last month, but he's still a bad fit for a team that desperately needs passing, rebounding, and defense.

Rookie
Posts: 143
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:31 am
Honestly, IMO, Jack ain't the problem. It's the fact that Jack is being forced to do too much by this lacking roster and overzealous coach. If we could trade for a real PG, I'd be HAPPY to have Jack on this team, but we need someone to make him humble once again, and realize that he is but a role players.

If we can trade Jack for a PG or PF, so be it, I'd do it, but to me the real problem lies elsewhere, in our lack of a real leader anywhere else on the team. What would be ideal, at least in my fantasy land, would be to trade ANY combination of JC, CJ, Beli, AR, Kurz, MWill for that team leader we so desperately need. Then, Jack can go back to his old role playing ways, Maggette can continue to get to the free throw line, and our rookies will get a chance to flourish.

All Star
Posts: 2956
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 am
FishStix wrote:Honestly, IMO, Jack ain't the problem. It's the fact that Jack is being forced to do too much by this lacking roster and overzealous coach. If we could trade for a real PG, I'd be HAPPY to have Jack on this team, but we need someone to make him humble once again, and realize that he is but a role players.

If we can trade Jack for a PG or PF, so be it, I'd do it, but to me the real problem lies elsewhere, in our lack of a real leader anywhere else on the team. What would be ideal, at least in my fantasy land, would be to trade ANY combination of JC, CJ, Beli, AR, Kurz, MWill for that team leader we so desperately need. Then, Jack can go back to his old role playing ways, Maggette can continue to get to the free throw line, and our rookies will get a chance to flourish.


My friend Fish. Jack is exactly the problem. Did you read the first blog in this section. He outlined beautifully what is wrong with Jackson. the only thing he should be Captian of is his won household. The guy is classless, clueless, and is disrespected by evry referee in the league. he is a whiner, bitcher, and ball hog. What jackson have you been watching my friend. He honestly think he is the reason why the San Antonio spurs won the championship.

Take a look at tonights game and watch Jason Richardson. Now here is a man who was loved and respected by his team mates. Jackson is only loved by the old foggy, senile coach that we have. As long as he is on this team this team will never be taken seriously. I hate it when the announcers say he is the leader of the team. I don't remember a team vote on who their leader should be.

As a player, I hate him worst than Mike Dunleavy. Here's why. Jackson gets preferential treatment from the coach, He's the teachers pet. No matter how badly he plays he will still get the majority of minutes, take the majority of the shots, never take any of the blame for their abysmal play, and don't give a damn whether they win or lose as long as he can maintain his 20 point average. Even if it means he has to to go 8-20 to get it. he is everything that is wrong with the team. Dunleavy's biggest problem was that he blamed everyone but himself. A selfish ball player. jackson is all that and a bag of chips.

Whew! Got that off my chest. :)
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:07 am
Jackson can be a real asset on a team where he is not the leader (see San Antonio, early Indy, GS with BD), as many have said, but there is NO ONE on this team he respects (maybe Maggette), and power abhors a vacuum. We didn't see this side of Jackson at first, because he was so happy to get out of Indy and also deferred to JRich and BD. As the leader, he is a disaster.

Rookie
Posts: 143
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm
The Coooach wrote:
FishStix wrote:Honestly, IMO, Jack ain't the problem. It's the fact that Jack is being forced to do too much by this lacking roster and overzealous coach. If we could trade for a real PG, I'd be HAPPY to have Jack on this team, but we need someone to make him humble once again, and realize that he is but a role players.

If we can trade Jack for a PG or PF, so be it, I'd do it, but to me the real problem lies elsewhere, in our lack of a real leader anywhere else on the team. What would be ideal, at least in my fantasy land, would be to trade ANY combination of JC, CJ, Beli, AR, Kurz, MWill for that team leader we so desperately need. Then, Jack can go back to his old role playing ways, Maggette can continue to get to the free throw line, and our rookies will get a chance to flourish.


My friend Fish. Jack is exactly the problem. Did you read the first blog in this section. He outlined beautifully what is wrong with Jackson. the only thing he should be Captian of is his won household. The guy is classless, clueless, and is disrespected by evry referee in the league. he is a whiner, bitcher, and ball hog. What jackson have you been watching my friend. He honestly think he is the reason why the San Antonio spurs won the championship.

Take a look at tonights game and watch Jason Richardson. Now here is a man who was loved and respected by his team mates. Jackson is only loved by the old foggy, senile coach that we have. As long as he is on this team this team will never be taken seriously. I hate it when the announcers say he is the leader of the team. I don't remember a team vote on who their leader should be.

As a player, I hate him worst than Mike Dunleavy. Here's why. Jackson gets preferential treatment from the coach, He's the teachers pet. No matter how badly he plays he will still get the majority of minutes, take the majority of the shots, never take any of the blame for their abysmal play, and don't give a damn whether they win or lose as long as he can maintain his 20 point average. Even if it means he has to to go 8-20 to get it. he is everything that is wrong with the team. Dunleavy's biggest problem was that he blamed everyone but himself. A selfish ball player. jackson is all that and a bag of chips.

Whew! Got that off my chest. :)


I do agree with a lot of what you say, but if you read my post, I believe Jack has been forced into this mindset because of our lacking roster and a coach who let's him do whatever he wants. With a new coach and a star PG, he'd go back to being captain clutch, hitting those 3's all day and night just when we need them.

This team would be way better off, even with 'the big 4,' if Nelson would treat his vets a little more like his rookies.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 688
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 pm
Jackson's quote "Im more underrated than Lebron" says it all

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests