The NBA: Where Rigged Happens

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 am
They don't even try to hide it anymore. What is the point of being a real fan of this game? The game is blatantly rigged. Not even subtle, BLATANT. I was at the game tonight. The league should refund my money. It's a joke. This is no more than professional wrestling any more. I'm done caring about these results. It's an insult to everything American and human.

» Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:53 am
You'll draw a lot of nay-sayers calling you a conspiracy theorist for this thread, but I pretty much agree with you. Its dispicable how close every one of these games comes to the Vegas spread. FYI, the house had San Antonio by 5 tonight. How much did they win by again...?

I'm not ready to admit the entire league is blatantly rigged, but David Stern has certainly turned a sport into entertainment. It takes a full-on meltdown from the favorite to override the advantage the zebras give them on a nightly basis.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 am
The one I've got my eye on is that number 73 ref. Not Bavetta so much and not the black one. That suspect looking younger white ref i'm talking about. He was screwing us over when the Rockets were in town as well. Did you see the play where where the Spurs lost it out of bounds with about 6 to go in the 4th?? The ball bounced off a Spurs' chest and went out. That ref called it Spurs ball. Unreal. I was at the game and had the perfect angle on it. Manu proceeds to knock down a 3. It just doesn't get any more blatant than that.

And let's not mention Manu's flop at the end. Or Jackson getting mugged to end regulation. I don't want to believe the NBA is rigged, but this game was without a doubt in my mind.

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:17 am
yeah, the ginobili call was beyond inexcusable. I do agree that the yoing white ref was making most of the awful calls...when is the NBA going to stop giving calls to folks who drive into and kick into the defender? basically it's like running against bush, you have to win by 5 points to really win...

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 am
i think what you guys are missing is two things:

1. The refs and the league hate Don Nelson.

2. The refs absolutely hate Stephen Jackson. BTW, Bowen never touched him last night. I saw the replay several times. Stephen said it best, "I guess I'm not good enough to get a call." he bitches too much therefore NO ref is going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He leads the elague in technicals. He is the new Dennis Rodman. No ref is going to bell this idiot if they can help it.

The league hates that Nelson has made a mockery of the league. He is not respected anymore, He is an old foggy and an embarassment to the league. the league wants him out,
Last edited by The Coooach on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 am
I never saw an angle that suggested Bowen actually touched Jackson, let alone fouled him: I'm with The Coooach on this one. I think Jack was just hoping to be bailed out after the Warriors pretty much screwed up the regulation-ender from the get-go.

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:38 pm
The Coooach wrote:The league hates that Nelson has made a mockery of the league. He is not respected anymore, He is an old foggy and an embarassment to the league. the league wants him out,

wtf are you talking about?

Rookie
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:45 pm
Sigh....

Franchise Player
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 pm
sorry, I missed the game last night so cant comment on the officiating but can someone explain to me how it came to be that with over 8 seconds on the clock the best play we came up with is to have Jax (a guy who can not create his own shot) go one on one against one of the best defenders in the league????

Was this off a timeout or was this just Jax doing his own thing? Where the other players moving off the ball trying to get open and Jax ignored them? Somebody please explain

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:25 pm
bada wrote:sorry, I missed the game last night so cant comment on the officiating but can someone explain to me how it came to be that with over 8 seconds on the clock the best play we came up with is to have Jax (a guy who can not create his own shot) go one on one against one of the best defenders in the league????

Was this off a timeout or was this just Jax doing his own thing? Where the other players moving off the ball trying to get open and Jax ignored them? Somebody please explain

think to the cleveland game when jax made that shot. It was the exact same scenario but with bowen on him instead of lebron. Except this time jax kind of jumped into Bowen to try and get a call but bowen backed off slightly so no call. and the rest is history.

Role Player
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:49 pm
bada wrote:sorry, I missed the game last night so cant comment on the officiating but can someone explain to me how it came to be that with over 8 seconds on the clock the best play we came up with is to have Jax (a guy who can not create his own shot) go one on one against one of the best defenders in the league????

Don't know if it was a set play or not but it looked like he was determined to take the last shot, or at least try to draw the foul, and replay showed Monta was wide open in the corner. All I know is he should not be the one handling the ball for the last shot. He should be one of the guys trying to get open for a shot.

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:36 pm
since when are the san antonio spurs marketable? They want to bring up the Lakers, Celtics, Clevland, Magic. teams with NEW stars. haven't you heard all the talk about how the spurs are the most boring team to watch in the NBA? why would they be trying to push them into the playoffs? If anything, the spurs are old news, the NBA wants the SPURS OUT. I agree we are not the favorite team of the NBA, but c'mon guys.

we got out played in the fourth. and they legitimately won the game in overtime. The refs didn't make us turn it over every other play in the 4th, we did. the refs didn't call any fouls when we were bricking shots for 5 mins straight.

I agree that the last call was bull shiit, but remember this non-call?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4m0ZThDYY[/youtube]
The NBA where BS calls happen every once in a while. Tough dookie

and why does the league hate don nelson? if anything, he coaches a more exciting form of basketball than someone like popavich. He doesn't complain or get technicals left and right. I mean he usually looks drunk and hungover during the games.

the refs hate Stephen Jackson because he complains about every fvcking call, and that's the refs fault? SJ needs to slove this problem by Sing.T.F.U. during the game and play ball. What other teams need a player to haggle the refs? unless you count rasheed wallace then no one. I hope he goes over the tech limit and gets fined. maybe that will make him grow up.

As a former ref I can tell you, there's nothing that drives you crazy quicker than someone who talks to you after every play. complaining about calls. it's SJ's problem not the refs

even if you say the league is fixing games for the purpose of gambling. we just beat New Orleans on the Road! a team with a player that is the future face of the NBA - Chris Paul. why didn't they fix that game too?

wheres the motivation?

Rookie
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:46 pm
By the way, this is another one of my Nelson problems -- yes, another. Despite the stranglingly short leash on young players, he puts no restraints on the vets at all, as far as I can see. Earlier this season, when Jackson had injured fingers, Nelson pretty much said "It's up to him whether he sits out or not" -- this at a time when Jackson was playing really, really badly game after game and hurting the team.

No wonder the young guys are confused about playing time. How can you figure out what Nelson's opinion of you means when veteran players, for no other reason than being veterans, are allowed to make stupid mistakes over and over again, not play defense, not rebound, and decide whether they should be in the lineup or not?

Nelson seems to me a really weird combination of "lazy" and "micromanager".
Last edited by shazam_guy on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:47 pm
Steinmetz puts it beautifully

Matt Steinmetz wrote:There’s a very real byproduct when it comes to blaming the officials or pointing to a specific call as affecting the outcome: It takes the onus and the responsibility for the defeat off the losing team. Basically, accountability is allowed to go missing.

The call against Turiaf, in essence, becomes the team’s alibi.

Warriors coach Don Nelson said afterward he needed to be careful what he said so as to avoid getting fined by the NBA. Jackson had this to say: “Guess I’m not good enough to get that call.”

Think about it … by Nelson lamenting that last call on Turiaf, it leaves less room to talk about why time and time again either Ginobili or Tony Parker got into the lane, forcing Turiaf to make an aggressive play.

If you’re talking about the foul call that wasn’t, it means you don’t have to dwell on why so many players get into the teeth of the Warriors’ defense. Or how you blew a 12-point lead with eight-plus minutes left.

And when it comes to Jackson, if you continue to talk about how Bowen might have fouled him at the end, then you don’t consider that Monta Ellis was wide open on the baseline, but Jackson never saw him.

Or you don’t have to think too hard about how all Nelson came up with on the game’s final possession was having Jackson go one-on-one from the top of the circle against one of the best defenders in the game.

So go ahead and emphasize those so-called late-game officiating injustices; in the meantime, real issues go unaddressed.

oh yeah and Capn Jack, I know you were saying there wasn't enough time to pass it but look again. pause the video at 1:42. there is a double team as jack is driving towards monta with more than 3 secs left he has an easy chance to make a nice bounce pass to monta, but instead spins away from him, and decides to try and draw a foul... that was not a foul on bowen, and we all know refs don't blow calls on the last play of the game unless someone really gets murdered. good non-call

if he had time to turn and pump fake and then lean in for a shot, he had time to pass it to someone who was wide open for a set shot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjRcD6lPnHw[/youtube]

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm
Fuckin Ed Malloy, **** that guy. Every time I see him, I instantly know we are going to lose.