My case for why Don Nelson must go.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:58 pm
When Mullin had hired Nelson, I had predicted exactly what has come to pass: a disorganized, run-and-gun, small ball, team of skilled shooting guards and small forward with no chance of ever competing for a championship. People on this board attacked me for being a hater when I had only stated the obvious: Don Nelson is a gimmick coach who will never coach a team which can compete for a championship.

Yes, we fans love this team and we fans deserve better than a co-dependent recovering alcoholic addict running the front office and a boorish, gimmick-loving coach who cannot get his teams beyond the second round of the playoffs.

» Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 pm
I'm gonna pass on responding to this post and simply say:

Its damn good to see you back here, my friend. I was getting a little worried. :D

All Star
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:02 pm
32 wrote:I'm gonna pass on responding to this post and simply say:

Its damn good to see you back here, my friend. I was getting a little worried. :D

LOL. I missed posting; however, it was nice to take a break.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 am
uptempo wrote:When Mullin had hired Nelson, I had predicted exactly what has come to pass: a disorganized, run-and-gun, small ball, team of skilled shooting guards and small forward with no chance of ever competing for a championship. People on this board attacked me for being a hater when I had only stated the obvious: Don Nelson is a gimmick coach who will never coach a team which can compete for a championship.

Yes, we fans love this team and we fans deserve better than a co-dependent recovering alcoholic addict running the front office and a boorish, gimmick-loving coach who cannot get his teams beyond the second round of the playoffs.

Ah, definately a councellor :shock: :mrgreen:

Rookie
» Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:48 am
If Mullin's the recovering co-dependent, I think the only really co-dependent thing he did was to bring Nelson back into the organization and not prepare for the day when Nellie would start to undercut him. Don Nelson doesn't like to take orders from anyone, and I was surprised he'd agreed to work under a former player of his.

Well, apparently it didn't work out. But, anyway, the case could be made that Mullin should have seen that one coming.

All Star
» Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:45 am
shazam_guy wrote:Well, apparently it didn't work out. But, anyway, the case could be made that Mullin should have seen that one coming.

There is an old Arab saying: "Once the camel get his nose under the tent, it is too late".

Mullin knew that Don The Camel had a history of getting into people's tents and then smelling them up, but, he thought that this time it would be different.

[/i]

» Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:35 pm
Or maybe he just figured Nellie was his friend and wouldn't stab him in the back en route to hijacking his job? :dontknow:

Doesn't sound like many of you have experienced the shock of having a friend go underneath you. Nelson having issues with Chris Cohan, Mark Cuban, and Patrick Ewing are one thing. Nelson lodging a switchblade in the back of one of his favorite Run TMCers (whom had grown close to him during Mullin's unfortunate alcoholism experience - which NOBODY should be making fun of) is quite another. Nelson's done similar things like this in the past, but to my knowledge he's never sunk this low before. Screwing billionaires like Cuban and Cohan for a couple extra mill doesn't even register on the same scale of betraying a guy you've befriended for years. This is an all-time low, even for Nelson.

Rookie
» Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:51 am
I didn't notice anyone making fun of Mullin and his struggle with alcohol, but if they were, I sure wasn't.

» Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:01 pm
I wasn't referring to you. His alcoholism has been poked fun at in the past by the same person who brought it up in this current thread.

All Star
» Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 pm
32 wrote:I wasn't referring to you. His alcoholism has been poked fun at in the past by the same person who brought it up in this current thread.

It just is not appropriate for a recovering alcoholic-addict to be coddled. No-one has made fun of Mullin; I have been quite harsh on his inability to turn this franchise into a consistent winner.

Nelson is Mullin's hire.

Monty was Mullin's hire.

Mullin knew or should have known what he was getting with Nelson. If he did not, then he, Mullin, should never be in the position of making franchise changing decisions.

Role Player
» Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:47 pm
From sfgate article:

It's the task facing the Warriors as they seek to balance a roster overloaded with wing players and short on proven big men. As coach Don Nelson ominously said after Biedrins was injured on Friday in Phoenix:

"Let that be a lesson for us. Let's get more big guys," Nelson said.

Apparently he never learns.

Franchise Player
» Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 pm
uptempo wrote:
32 wrote:I wasn't referring to you. His alcoholism has been poked fun at in the past by the same person who brought it up in this current thread.

It just is not appropriate for a recovering alcoholic-addict to be coddled. No-one has made fun of Mullin; I have been quite harsh on his inability to turn this franchise into a consistent winner.

Nelson is Mullin's hire.

Monty was Mullin's hire.

Mullin knew or should have known what he was getting with Nelson. If he did not, then he, Mullin, should never be in the position of making franchise changing decisions.

You just proved Mullin is terrible at hiring coaches. And I'll give you that. The other stuff, however, is another road to talk about.

Rookie
» Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:27 am
Did he actually say that? "Let that be a lesson to us -- let's get more big men?"

Oh my god. I have to send that one out to all my friends. I might even make it my sig.

All Star
» Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:32 am
SFWarriors wrote:From sfgate article:

It's the task facing the Warriors as they seek to balance a roster overloaded with wing players and short on proven big men. As coach Don Nelson ominously said after Biedrins was injured on Friday in Phoenix:

"Let that be a lesson for us. Let's get more big guys," Nelson said.

Apparently he never learns.

Incredible, Nellie is actually making some sense, i think he is slowly getting the picture, a balanced attack is needed to compete in this league. Players need to be placed in their proper positions or close enough, no more shooting guards playing pf please. The low post the glaring hole in the roster, were rebounds, and interior defense is needed. Beans injure shows how depleted we are in the center position, hopefully we can see some action to get more bigger, bring in another center, and actually play a regular line-up.

All Star
» Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:39 am
I'll believe it when i see it