My case for why Don Nelson must go.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:14 pm
We can talk all we want about bringing in a PG and a real PF, and yes we need those, and certainly have enough 2s and 3s that we should be able to engineer something though the draft and a trade.

However, NOTHING substantial will change for this team as long as Don Nelson is the coach.

Some on this board still defer to wise old Nellie, and argue that his line-ups, and especially his treatment of the talented young bigs Wright and Randolph, are defensible.

seriously? Wise old Nellie knows what he is doing? Kurz has earned his minutes? A guy who was a mediocre college player, treats the ball like kryptonite and has the worst plus minus, PER, net production vs opponent and on court-off court on the team of anyone (other than Davidson, who has played about 12 minutes)? (82games.com is the source for this?) Kurz deserves to play ahead of Randolph and Wright? Really? The guy who has a 5.6 PER while his opponent has a 30 PER? (By comparison, Maggette, our best performer the past month at the PF, has a 20.6 PER and his opponent has a 16.8 PER.) He may be the worst player I have ever seen suit up in a Ws uniform in 17 long years of mainly suffering through this team's mishaps.

Let's call this what it is, here. Kurz is Mark Madsen minus the rah rah spirit and comic relief, an earnest, properly-pigmented towel-waving twelfth man and is just the latest in a sorry-ass long line of the NBA's version of affirmative action, David Stern's ongoing attempt to make the game more appealing to those with a fear of a black planet. The twist here is, usually the towel wavers don't play. Nelson's choice to play him is nothing more than a mindfuck alpha dog move on Randolph and Wright, and a not so subtle message to anyone else on the team that the big beer belly can still bark. "Oh, and if management doesn't like it, they can always fire me and give me my 12 million. Ask Mark Cuban if I will collect on it."

As for defending Nelson, he has pulled his bullshit everywhere he has been and it has always ended badly everywhere he has been following Milwaukee.

Look at the record:
1) the Webber disaster and getting the hell out of dodge (1995)
2) the abortive play Patrick Ewing as an outside shooter disaster in New York (1995)
3) The let's not practice before the deciding game of the Kings playoff series, and leave Mark Cuban's Mavs, and hold him up for 6 million while we are at it (2004-5)
4) The stab Mullin in the back following the 3 year 18 million dollar extension and publicly dare the team to fire him, play gimmicky and incoherent small ball, run out 17 different starting line-ups, throw DNPs at players after they had great games, alpha dog 2 talented rookies in Wright and Randolph while allowing Jackson free reign to play some truly unconscionably selfish basketball. Nelson is a bully, who alphas rookies and kisses up to vets, having wildly erratic ground rules for all.

I mean, it is like groundhog day, the movie or deja vu all over again.

The man is an innovative but truly mediocre coach, who relies on gimmicks, and only needs to face a team that doesn't get goaded out of their game in order to fall on his face (see Utah in 2007, or just look at the game against Houston). Small ball is only a clever gimmick if you have a great PG and the other team gets sucked into forgetting that you can't rebound. Most teams have figured that out by now. How can we celebrate someone as a great who has never figured out how to make rebounding or fundamental defense a part of his game plan, and starts shooting guards at SF, SFs at PF or PFs at center? How do we celebrate someone who has no discernible half court offense to speak of? Who plays someone with no discernible ball skills at the pro level over someone who does? How do we celebrate someone whose entire career defines mediocrity, if entertaining mediocrity?

The bare bones facts:

Nelson has

1) coached more years (32) without taking his team to the finals than any coach in any major sport ever. Even a blind pig find an acorn once in a while.
2) has demonstrated no ability or interest in developing big men other than Dirk, who he turned into a 7 foot small ball outside shooter (and please don't go back to Milwaukee, that was in the freaking Reagan administration.
3) Has a lifetime winning percentage in those thirty-two years of not one final of: (Drum roll) 56%
4) Has left every situation he has been in a bloody and dysfunctional mess since the Webber fiasco of 1995. To give him any benefit of the doubt at this point makes zero sense to me.

If you want to look at how to bring a rookie along well, just watch Popovich in San Antonio with Roger Mason. There are plenty of other examples. Watch how much better Pietrus is playing and being used in Orlando. I am glad for Randolph's sake that he switched agents. He was clearly not getting decent representation from BJ (who truly sucked as a warrior, btw.)

No, for me, Nelson has lost any benefit of the doubt on any coaching and personnel decisions. Does he throw an at times entertaining team out there that can score lots and lots of points? Sure, but he is not going to develop young bigs (and will in fact, alpha and demoralize them) and he is not going to offer any kind of rational, consistent or coherent scheme for his team.

It is time for him to go. No other change matters until he does. I understand that Avery Johnson is available... 8)

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:26 pm
All fingers point to Nellie, at the end day most of our problems and frustrations lead to Nellie. He is ruining this franchise as we speak, glad Al Harrington was able to get out of here, same with Pietrus. The whole mind games talking bad about players, putting out to lose games, i mean Kurz on Yao are you kidding me? no matter that Beans and Turiaf are in foul trouble we should never be in a situation like that. His substitution patterns, bringing in Azu for Beans, the mismatches that he creates on the floor that leaves us dis-advantaged.

And even if we do bring in a pg or pf, will Nellie even use them, is he willing to even break the "The BIG 4", doesnt seem likely. The most frustrating part is this guy is here 2 more years, so more of the same to come.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm
kurz and davidson should not even get a second over BW and Randolph. Its ridiculous... you got a 2nd rounder who you got rid of for BW... and an undrafted in kurz who got more minutes than Randolph the past few games and davidson only has what 12 min? If BW is not utilized after coming back from his dislocated shoulder ill be irritated but hey we already know its going to happen.

I can only hope that we will wake up the night before... of... the morning after the trade deadline to a trade.

Maybe one more miracle move by mullin...

I truly think if we utilized all out players we would be fine.

I mean imagine having turiaf beans and BW for the front court,
and then randolph and jax at the 3... ellis crawford belli watson for the back court. Mags has been playing terrifically as the 6th man and spark off the bench. Ill take what hes been doing lately everyday and is definitely worth having him.

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:23 pm
Avery! Avery! Avery!

:D

Well done Colt.

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:03 pm
Nice post Colt. Agreed with it all 100%

Hall of Famer
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:09 pm
Quazza wrote:Nice post Colt. Agreed with it all 100%

Me too. Except on the Roger Mason mention. He's a 6 year vet, so there's nothing resembling a rookie there, but other than that, Colt's post just says the truth.

Franchise Player
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm
truley love the post Colt. agree 100%

Rookie
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:48 pm
Also enjoyed your post and was going to mention the Roger Mason error but TMC beat me to it. I especially agree with how futile it is to discuss a new PF/PG while Nellie is running the show because he won't play players in their natural positions anyway.

Rookie
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:03 pm
About the only thing I've done on this board is bitch about how I think Nelson's time has passed, so I'm sure you can guess whether I agree with Coltraning or not.

(For those who are a bit slow: I do.)

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:44 pm
sorry about the Mason, goof. I heard him referred to as a rookie on TNT, never trust those bastards :bday:

Starting Lineup
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:05 pm
Great post Coltraning, nice spattering of humor in there too. Be prepared to lose Randolph now. I do think there is some urgency.

Yes, Emperor Nelson has no clothes. ( that's for you San Francisco history buffs. )

Role Player
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:12 pm
Great post colt.

I know I've been defending Nellie a lot lately, but that doesn't mean I don't want him out of here. We *need* a new coach, someone who can utilize our players' talents, develop our young guys, and teach the team how to WIN TOGETHER.

I'd love someone relatively young (Johnson is fine :mrgreen:) who, if he does well, could be kept around for a while.

Although, Nellie is just a part of the problem. Rowell is, IMO, the biggest issue...

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:49 pm
Duncan with 17 points in the first so what does Nellie do? Goes with 5 sg's. Yes 5! Jax at centre.

Kill him

now

Role Player
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 pm
Quazza wrote:Duncan with 17 points in the first so what does Nellie do? Goes with 5 sg's. Yes 5! Jax at centre.

Kill him

now

Notice, Duncan only had two points in the second. He wasn't even on the court at the point when the line-up consisted of "five shooting guards" -- (in reality it was more like three guards and two SFs; still an exceedingly small line-up but not the same as five pure guards...). Also, that line-up only played together for a few minutes, at which point Papovich was forced to call a time out due to the fact that we were outscoring the Spurs with that small line-up. It was during this time out we changed the line-up.

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 pm
oh in that case we should start those guys and just out score everyone, every game